Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Posting multiple photos
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:50 am 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
OK to edit my images: Yes
I took some time to critique a few images last night, something that I have not done nearly enough of recently. I didn't choose a lot of photos, as I prefer to take my time with an image to give a quality review rather than race through giving lots of reviews. Although the length of my feedback may not always look it, I spent a minimum of 20 minutes with each photograph.

One observation I made while selecting the photographs I was going to review was the number of threads that are being started with multiple photographs. We like to keep the list of rules on Light Cafe short, and I'm certainly not going to say you can't post multiple photos in a thread, but when you do, it makes it very difficult to provide meaningful feedback.

Sometimes, you want to present a body of work for critique, maybe a set of photos that are going to be displayed together (Lionello's "Body Scapes" is a good example). That's a good time to post a number of photographs in a thread. Otherwise, my suggestion to you, if you want to receive more meaningful feedback, is to limit the number of photos you post to one or two.

Last night, I skipped over any thread that had multiple photographs in the first post.

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 am 
aka discofish

Yeh i mentioned it in a post or two recently... time is something i don't have a lot of and when there are lots of photos in a thread i often have to come back in a day or two to comment properly. Another idea would be to show the set but mentioned the photo that you wish to have detailed critique on.... that'd do the job and you'd get to show all your pics !

...and my website

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:23 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Nikon D200
Lens: Sigma 18-200 and others
Favorite Type: Travel, Landscape, Street
One little addenda, IMO. If you do post multiple images, please number them - it does facilitate commenting. Easier to say #3 than to keep going back to see which one it was - that sometimes would prevent me from taking the time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: 50D, 5D MKII
Lens: MP-E64, Sig 150mm f/2.8, Sigma macro, Sig 120-400mm, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 10x microscope objective
Favorite Type: Macro-There's another type?
Inspiration: LordV-Brian Valentine
Hmmmm, I generally will post multiple shots in the macro room. Should I sense and desist?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
Thunder, I think several things come into play here. If you upload your photos for critique, try posting one or two images, and mention that you would appreciate serious critique.

If you want to share a series of your macro shots, chances are that you will not receive "critique" on each individual shot. But that's not to say you won't receive comments. I, for one, always enjoy your series of shots. I may comment on every one, or I may just say I enjoyed the set. (And since I've never lied to you, you would know that I did, indeed, enjoy the entire set!) You know that I don't shoot macro, and although I love seeing a world of tiny creatures I would otherwise miss, I certainly don't feel qualified to critique a macro shot. If you posted a shot for critique, I might give you my opinion, but that's what it would be...an opinion.

Hope that makes sense!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:40 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Considering the level of activity here the more the better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 pm 
A Strobist

Camera: D300, Hasselblad, FM2
Lens: Lots.
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Nachtwey
I can certainly understand your point, I'm a lot less likely to offer much feedback on each individual image if 3+ are posted in one thread. I'll tend to comment on them as a set and maybe pick out one favourite or just a key point I thought of when viewing them.

I know I just posted 5-6 photos in one thread recently, with the logic actually being they were all from one location/shoot so I may as well group them all together rather than scatter them around and make lots of different threads.