All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: U-Haul
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:12 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Three months ago my wife and I were pricing out trucks to rent to move our stuff from Calgary to Victoria, about 1200 kilometers (700 - 800 miles I guess). U-haul listed 10 foot trucks for about $400 and 24' ones for about $1100. We figured we'd get a 20' for about $900-$1000. Last month it was time to make reservations and we found they'd jacked the prices by about $700 - $1000 for the 10' and $1800 for the 24'. So we went with budget instead (which guarantees your rates), got a smaller truck (17'), and ended up with a charge of $1100. Smaller truck, slightly more than our original budget, but cheaper than U-haul (even though it was originally more expensive when we started planning this move).

Today just for the hell of it (four days before moving day) I checked the prices at U-haul.. would you believe a 10' truck is now $2000, and a 24' almost $3000? They guarantee your reservation, but do not guarantee prices. Had we made the reservation two months ago or even last month we'd be facing a sudden doubling or tripling of our cost.

I priced out the reverse trip, Victoria to Calgary (same mileage obviously) and it was $500 for the biggest truck and $400 for the smallest. Something isn't adding up here. Even assuming they have to cover their costs to move trucks around, the price differential makes no sense. Gas isn't a factor (except for them shipping their trucks around I guess) as we buy our own.

Even New Brunswick to Calgary is about $1200 - and that's 4500 kilometers (halfway across the damned world). Calgary to NB? $4500. A few years ago about 200,000 people descended on Calgary to try to make their fortunes strip-mining the northern forest to get at dirty oil deposits lying in the tar sands. I guess now that housing and jobs are saturated people are getting the hell out, and U-haul is reaping the rewards.

http://visualfiction.org/

Post subject: Re: U-Haul
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:39 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: D3, D200, D70, F5
Lens: a handfull of Nikon Glass
Favorite Type: Sports and Landscapes
OK to edit my images: No
That's crazy. I'll bet it is all gas related. On a smaller scale, I rented a power washer from Home Depot to spray down my walkways and driveway. During the rental process I was in formed that I had to return it with a full tank of gas. Next line on the rental form...."all rentals are subject to a $5 gas surcharge." Couldn't figure that one out considering I had to pay for the gas myself to fill it up before returning it. The guy told me it's because too many people return them with empty tanks so then everybody has to pay for gas. If anything, that's a reason to return it empty because filling it up would only cost the $5 I was forced to pay when I rented the damn thing. Oh, and figure this out, there was no penalty fee for returning it empty.