TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 pm 
Pet and People Portraits

Camera: Nikon D300, Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Tokina SD 12-24mm f4, Nikon 75-240mm f/4.5, Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5
Favorite Type: portraiture and landscape
Inspiration: for landscapes: Macduff Everton.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Ooooh boy! So I redid (am redoing) my website, right? I ended up hiring a guy to help with the gallery so I did what most people do. I looked around the net at other photographers stuff and sent him to about 6 or 7 sites with galleries I liked.

We'd talked about doing something custom for me, but I definitely wanted him to see things that represented the clean, simple type of galleries I am interested in.

So Mr. web designer looks around and looks at some code.

Enter the fireworks.

I get an e-mail, thinly veiled in niceness, telling me how "it's come to her attention" that I've directed my web designer to her gallery. (Ok, and????) And it goes on to accuse me of stealing her layout and even her FAQ's (!!!) Excuse me??

Sure, I looked at her site. And I closely looked at about 7 other photographers sites, in many different genres. I didn't blatantly copy anyone. And I certainly didn't copy her FAQ. (Though I guess the fact that since we're both pet photographers in Los Angeles, thus we may have similar FAQ's by nature, escapes her.) Last time I checked "what makes you different?," "I have a crazy dog, can you still photograph him?" and "Really? Pictures of my DOG??" aren't exactly anyone's distinct brain child or their intellectual property - they're standard fare.

She finishes by saying how "in case I wasn't aware" that all the content and design of her site are copywrited and that she can take legal action, but "I don't think things have to go that far." No shit.

Being that it was late at night when I got the e-mail, I replied in an all-too-nice a manner, though did put my foot down and say I didn't copy her, especially in her FAQ. And I pointed out that her gallery software (Autoviewer) is a free download available to anyone. (At the time, I had up a crappy Flickr viewer anyway.) I then compared our website and altered some wording on my own just to be sure there could be NO continuing threats. Whatever.

So yeah. Isn't that lovely? 2 days later I went to check out her website just to see her blog - she had one that I followed, and guess what!

The bitch blocked my IP address!#%^$@!@$$@!!!!!!!

So, I'm gonna block her back. Why not. :twisted: Even though both of us could just go use our neighbors computer, or a hot spot.

This is officially my first "to-do" with another photographer. I always go out of my way to make friends, not enemies, with other photographers, especially in my niche. Seems to me there's plenty of dogs in Los Angeles. But according to her we're in a "saturated market." I can think of 6 people out here who do this seriously. Wow - 6!!!

Okay, my rant is over, save this one comment - the photographer in question happens to be the one who judged the photo contest for the LA County Fair who gave me 2nd place. Go figure. Let's hope she doesn't judge next year. (I'm gonna try to be the judge instead...)

I'm not naming names within the thread, but if anyone wants to know her name / site, I'll gladly PM you.

~Erin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 pm 
Big Belly Photographer

It sounds like she is overreacting quite a bit and is quite paranoid. Have you met her? Maybe she's an unstable individual.
I think that your calm but firm response was great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:30 pm 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
Wow, I had the exact opposite happen this week.

I happened upon a guys site that happened to be on Smugmug which I still use and sent him an email..basically

"hey I love the clean look on your site and the navigation bar, did you do that yourself or hire someone?"

He wrote back that he did it himself, he would love to help and gave me his number...

I copied almost everything about his site, and he could not care less....of course he is in Carolina and I am in New York 8)

Let it glide off of you, take a deep breath and you will feel better in the morning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:17 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Kurt wrote:
Wow, I had the exact opposite happen this week.

I happened upon a guys site that happened to be on Smugmug which I still use and sent him an email..basically

"hey I love the clean look on your site and the navigation bar, did you do that yourself or hire someone?"

He wrote back that he did it himself, he would love to help and gave me his number...

I copied almost everything about his site, and he could not care less....of course he is in Carolina and I am in New York 8)

Let it glide off of you, take a deep breath and you will feel better in the morning.

Kurt,

That just proves my point: Men are sooo much nicer about this sort of stuff than women are...

Packard

Actually the less secure someone feels about their skills the more likely that they are going to behave like this.

I remember a few years back that a certain naked belly photographer was very possessive about her technique. She even ran a post about someone asking for advice and how she didn't want to give it out but didn't want to seem rude (or something like that).

Now that she has abundant (and well-earned) confidence I see her giving out advice all the time.

So take solace in the fact that your competitor is simply scared shitless of your work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:54 am 
Pet and People Portraits

Camera: Nikon D300, Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Tokina SD 12-24mm f4, Nikon 75-240mm f/4.5, Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5
Favorite Type: portraiture and landscape
Inspiration: for landscapes: Macduff Everton.
Quote:
So take solace in the fact that your competitor is simply scared shitless of your work
Awesome! :mrgreen:

~Erin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:12 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
So what is the woman's address, Id be more than happy to inspect both sites and give you a midwest, third person view of the situation. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:52 am 
Big Belly Photographer

Packard wrote:
I remember a few years back that a certain naked belly photographer was very possessive about her technique. She even ran a post about someone asking for advice and how she didn't want to give it out but didn't want to seem rude (or something like that).

I completely forgot about that. Maybe I overreacted, was paranoid and unstable! (I do love drama though :D )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:56 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

bellybabe wrote:
Packard wrote:

I completely forgot about that. Maybe I overreacted, was paranoid and unstable! (I do love drama though :D )

Hey, I wasn't naming names, pointing fingers, or accusing anyone...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:51 pm 
And baby makes six!

Packard wrote:

you weren't?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:01 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Kurt wrote:
Packard wrote:

you weren't?

Never! How dare anyone think that...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: D3, D200, D70, F5
Lens: a handfull of Nikon Glass
Favorite Type: Sports and Landscapes
OK to edit my images: No
Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago on the sidelines with a guy who shoots games at the same fields as I do. I talked to the director and he told me that nobody else had obtained permission to shoot their games and that he felt that they didn't need another photographer covering the league. I approached him and got his story that he's friends with the coach of the team that was playing at that time. He even gave me a card. I asked the coach later and he says he doesn't know the guy. I looked at his website and he's covered more games than just one team.

I see him out there the next weekend and talked to him again. Since I don't have written exclusive rights at these fields, I suggested that we work out something so we're not both covering the same games. He gives me a spiel that I haven't heard since junior high about this being a free country and he can shoot where he wants. Having seen his work, I just let it go. His stuff is crap so I just wrote off his hostile reaction is his realization that his combination of higher prices and crappy work are no competition for me. Haven't seen again him in three weeks and if I do, well, I'm not worried about it. He can shoot all he wants.

I do kind of feel like this league is mine to cover since I'm the one that did all the pre-season coordination with the director which was a two-week process. Am I wrong in either asking him to leave or limiting his shooting to coverage of the "friend's" team?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:09 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
He doesn't sound the best, but if they're playing on public pitches then I believe he's free to do as he pleases, as long as he doesn't represent himself as league affiliated. Sorry.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:03 am 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
I agree with Greg. If it's a publicly accessible field, I think he has a right to be there. But I'm always in favour of competition. I don't like the idea of limiting competition by exclusivity. Let your talent and prices be your competitive advantage.

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:44 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
Andy are we talking "school" fields or public parks. Schools may be public but nobody has the right to walk onto their property to shoot events, it is tresspassing. However, I've never been to a prep game where a big lens isn't welcome on the sidelines. He sounds like a weenie. Since we are now talking experiences, I was once asked by another photographer why I was on his sideline as he stood there making funny looking faces with his Olympus P&S. He gave the usual rant...blah blah blah. I simply stated, which shut him up, "I was hired by one of the mothers to get pictures of her son starting his first football game." Long story short...it was his wife.

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:36 am 
Bird(s on the) Brain

Camera: 1D3, 50D, 40D & 5D
Lens: There isn't enough room here for it all, 5 L's (zooms), 5 primes all Canon & a couple more
Favorite Type: What is paying the most at the time
Inspiration: Ben Franklin & U.S. Grant
eastsider wrote:
Andy are we talking "school" fields or public parks. Schools may be public but nobody has the right to walk onto their property to shoot events, it is tresspassing. However, I've never been to a prep game where a big lens isn't welcome on the sidelines. He sounds like a weenie. Since we are now talking experiences, I was once asked by another photographer why I was on his sideline as he stood there making funny looking faces with his Olympus P&S. He gave the usual rant...blah blah blah. I simply stated, which shut him up, "I was hired by one of the mothers to get pictures of her son starting his first football game." Long story short...it was his wife.

That's funny Phil, reminds me of a soccer game where I was wandering around the pitch from goal to goal shooting from the pov's needed to capture the faces of players of one team on offense and defense. While on the "other" teams sideline I was asked by a guy with a d-slr (w/ kit lens) which was my kid, and I said I was capturing images of the other team and he told me that etiquitte required me to only shoot from the opposite side of the field and not intrude on the opposing side. That comment made me laugh out loud and this guy then told me he would have me removed from the field for inappropriate behavior. I told him when the etiquitte police showed up they could contact me. They never did but I do often wonder if I have a warrant out there signed by Emily Post just waiting to be served.

http://www.bradmanchas.zenfolio.com
Referral Code: QCG-WKX-BXM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:55 am 
And baby makes six!

I have: - been at games just to shoot them, no real intent of selling and just put the shots up on my site...if someone happens too them and buys them great...if not who cares.

-worked tournaments as a paid photographer, turning over CF cards to the computer workers/printers...

-worked at games where hired to shoot by one or more parents and the entire team.

I have never cared who else is shooting the game. Put 20 other people in line with me shooting, wont bother me a bit. There will be some who can shoot and some who cannot, some who can follow the action and some who cannot...in fact when I have been hired to do team/individuals parents jump next to me and take photos of their kids with the backgrounds or however I have posed them with their P&S or DSLR's, I actually say "Would you like to stand here?" and not in an offensive way. At the same time of course I am thinking "What a cheap ass"

When another photographer approaches me with any hostility...my response is generally "whatever dude"..this is very rare when it occurs.
When another photographer approaches me in a friendly manner it normally ends up in a conversation I enjoy.
When someone approaches me about what I am doing, I am honest and respectful.

I see no need for drama.

Yesterday my son had a soccer game, I show up with the D2x and 400mm...one mom comes up to me and says "Who are you shooting for?" I responded "Myself" she said "Oh, I thought you might be selling them online" to which I responded "I do that, but generally only if invited and paid for in advance and today I am just shooting my son and some of his classmates"