John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dead hard drive
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:01 pm 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
OK to edit my images: Yes
Fortunately it's just the backup drive and (I think) had very little unique data on it, but it's died tonight and probably taken some of this year's holiday pics with it. Had been giving bad sector warnings for a few days I now discover from the event log, but that's especially difficult to see when it's plugged into a spare machine in the other room and only used as a network drive...

I seem not to have much luck with these things! It's at maximum 3 years old, a fairly decent in theory Toshiba unit and it's just gone. Had an internal Maxtor go after less than 2 years a few years back, and an old SCSI drive go almost 10 years ago. I don't abuse my gear but the failure rate at home is _far_ worse than work, where across probably close to 100 physical drives I've been responsible for over the years I've had one fail and that was when a server the boss wouldn't pay to be properly cooled and left in a room at 38C unsurprisingly failed. At home I think I've had only 8 drives.

So, off to the shops. On top of the old laptop graphics card dying, the TV getting decidedly flaky and being replaced, car problems forcing that to be replaced ahead of schedule, tripod breaking, now my standard lens breaking down... Not the cheapest of years :-(

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

Post subject: Re: Dead hard drive
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:32 pm 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
Luckily the price continues to drop on the externals, I do have mine all backed up but not in any way shape or form in a manner I would like...some is on this drive and that while more is on the 'this' drive and another...

What I would like it information on drive A to be backed up to drive B with no overlap onto drive C.

I think Santa will bring me two 500GB drives and I will begin that for 2009.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 pm 
The Candy man

I have three LaCie D2 drives on my desk and a strange thing happened yesterday. I had not connected the firewire drives for a couple of years and one of them would not mount. I was frustrated it would spin up and down but that was all it would do finally I switched the power supplies from one of the working drives to it and that fixed it all three drives were back up and running. Maybe you just have a bad connection.

Gerhard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:19 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
I don't have another supply to test it with, but from the event log and the ominous ticking noise it was making as it repeatedly tried and failed to spin up, I think I've got a dodo :-( Thanks for the thought though.

(You know you're a software developer when you're thinking about backup regimes for a new drive and come to the conclusion that tracking down and getting used to file synching software to do the job is quite possibly more work than just writing some yourself ;-))

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 pm 
Nature Photographer

Camera: Sony α900, Sony α55, Sony α200 IR
Lens: 17-35, 24-105, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-400, 16/2.8, 50/1.7, 100/2.8 macro, 135/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscape, Nature
Inspiration: The natural beauty of the world
OK to edit my images: No
If there's anything important on the drive that you don't have another copy, try putting it in your freezer. Really! I had a drive with similar symptoms a few years ago and if I froze it and hooked it up I could get a bit of data off of it and then it would stop working again after a short amount of time. After another day in the freezer I could get some more data off of it. I also resorted to bashing it on my desk and then hooking it back up, which also seemed to work a bit! I don't remember where I got the freezer idea but it worked. (The bashing was from frustration.) It took over a month but I eventually got almost everything off of it.

All comments and criticisms on my photos are appreciated. Don't worry about being too harsh either. You won't offend me.