John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NiMH
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:57 pm 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
OK to edit my images: Yes
I'm not particularly fond of the way that, with my NiMH batteries for the flashes, they just don't hold a charge. After a few weeks, they're flat.

I'd been roped in to doing a shoot for my girlfriend's sister today, as her youngest is now 12 weeks old. So, packed up all the huge piles of studio stuff, made sure I had 2 full sets of batteries for both guns put through the fast charger. Stick a set in each gun and test them, then pack the bags and head over.

I've got everything measured, moved furniture, got the backdrop up so I could get some of the older kids too, getting the flashes out. The SB800 is off but suspiciously hot... Fires though - hang on, that's far too hot. Flip the lid and it's clear one of the batteries has failed. Leaking a little, popped the plastic cover open, slightly melted the body of the gun so there are now noticeable marks inside the battery compartment. If I'd not caught it then....

It seems to have worked fine all day since with different batteries, but with 6 month old batteries, not used much and supplied with the charger I was using I'm not at all impressed.

(Something of a good day. My network is playing up so I can't get to the network storage drives and my car just needed new discs / rotors and pads on all 4 corners :shock:)

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

Post subject: Re: NiMH
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:03 pm 
Nature Photographer

Camera: Sony α900, Sony α55, Sony α200 IR
Lens: 17-35, 24-105, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-400, 16/2.8, 50/1.7, 100/2.8 macro, 135/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscape, Nature
Inspiration: The natural beauty of the world
OK to edit my images: No
Never had an NiMH battery fail like that but I've had lots that no longer hold a charge.

By the way, there are newer technology NiMH (or maybe NiMH like) batteries that are supposed to hold 85% of their charge after sitting on a shelf for a year. Sanyo Eneloop is one brand (got some for Christmas) and I believe there are others. The ones I have are compatible with standard NiMH chargers and the Sanyo charger that came with them is also supposed to be find for standard NiMH batteries.

All comments and criticisms on my photos are appreciated. Don't worry about being too harsh either. You won't offend me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:57 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

I suspect that there might be a slight drain on your batteries while they are in your flash. I have that problem with my Canon indoors but never outdoors. Hence the acronym: NiMh (Not in My House).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 am 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
Sounds as though you have some bad batteries.

I have used the duracell rechargable NiMH batteries the past two years with no issues other than complete happiness with the money savings over buying the high end throw away. The 2460's last a long time and recycle quick...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:43 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: D3, D200, D70, F5
Lens: a handfull of Nikon Glass
Favorite Type: Sports and Landscapes
OK to edit my images: No
What kind of chargers do you all use? It's new to me so I can't give much feedback on how well it works but I just picked up a PowerEx MH-C9000 WizardOne charger (about $50 USD). After some bad experiences with NiMH in the past, I felt it was time to try them again. I never had much confidence in the plug in and forget chargers so I just sucked it up and got the WizardOne.

It has a digital readout which tell you how fast it's charging, mAh level and how rapidly it's charging. It's also a battery conditioner and will discharge and recharge the battery which is deliberately slow. You can charge each battery at one of four stations with different settings. You can also analyze batteries to find out max capacity. It'll give an error if there's a problem with the battery potentially saving you a meltdown.

This guy sells them so it sounds like a plug for his website but it's a decent review.
http://www.naturalnews.com/021847.html

Thought this might help you get better results from NiMH.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:01 am 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
I just use the charger that came with the Duracells.

I like you was not impressed with previous rechargable batteries...years ago, but after several reviews online decided to give them a try again. I honestly think its the way to go with anything you use often...although I have not made a complete transition none of the kids toys are on rechargables nor anything that uses above a AA battery (Flashlights etc)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:30 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
NiCds I thought were OK but a bit fragile, needed kid gloves. This is the first problem I've had with NiMHs though - looks like an internal short. Just glad I caught it when I did and it didn't go worse - SB800, D80, GBP300 in glass and a 17" Dell laptop were in that bag. All insured, but...

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:43 pm 
The Candy man

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/techn ... asics.html

An article in the NY Times on rechargeable batteries.

Gerhard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:58 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Batteries leak charges?

My Grandmother was right afterall. We used to laugh at her when she put Scotch Tape over all the unused wall outlets so that the electricity would no leak out.