Post subject: I hate F*(&^King Bosses
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:10 pm 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
OK to edit my images: Yes
So, doing two jobs with a verbal agreement that I would be allowed to work at least two hours of overtime per day as needed...

Fast forward 4 weeks and I am counseled by the same boss that approved it, because when his boss called him about the overtime charges he forgot and I never had him sign the overtime request before the timesheets were submitted.

I have not worked the overtime nor worked in the other job capacity since.

Pro: Showing them both jobs take time
Con: Showing them I can be an ass
Con: Not getting the experience at the new job (promotion)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
There must be some kind of prerequisite for bosses to forget about verbal agreements. One of my co-workers went on vacation, he told the team he was going during a staff meeting with the boss present, Steve explained he had one project and that it was in a good place ready to be moved into production when he came back from vacation. Boss agreed that the work was ready and could wait. While Steve was on vacation several people approached the boss about the project, word is he forgot that he had agreed the project could wait a week. Steve was written up for poor communication.

The poor communication might be valid if he was expected to send information to people outside about the team, Steve felt like he was covered by the staff meeting agreement.

This is only one example I know of many others.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:51 am 
And baby makes six!

Biggest issue in this situation is that both jobs fall under the same buisness line boss.

I sent all three an email today that stated I am now going to decline the previously accepted temp position that was supposed to start Feb 15th for that exact reason, and the fact it would cause me more stress than I feel its worth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:25 pm 
And baby makes six!

Ha...

20 minutes after the bosses got to work, they asked me if I would meet with them over this. I said "No, I have nothing to say about it" they then came out and said "Please come in, don't throw this away"

Bottom line put us back to the agreement to do the one job 2 hours of OT per day in the morning and the detail for 8 hours after with any additional overtime on a as needed basis.

Yippee, seems one Boss thought I was still working my old job and the other thought I had moved to under them already.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Nice to hear things are working out for you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:12 pm 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
I hope you got it in writing this time!

I learned a long time ago that the "handshake" no longer existed. Guess I was about your age then!

Then a quick little story. My wife had one of her managers quit on her last week because my wife expected her to be on time each day. Before my wife became director this young woman was able to come and go at her pleasure (guess why my wife's the new director). Anyway she said the harsh new rules were not worth her salary....a drum roll please.............. $96,000 per year. With a hiring freeze the woman cannot be replaced but the wife hired three temps to cover the job who she said are busting their ass and showing up on time. How hard can it be to get to a 9-5 position?

An admin asst. quit because after my wife told her she is expected to come in on Monday's, this young 24 year old had missed 32 Monday's previously to my wife's unfair rules were established. Her reason "You can't expect me to give up my weekends!" Salary $38,500. I'll bet they are not working now and won't be around here for quite sometime.....baffles the hell out of me.

Phil

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:54 am 
And baby makes six!

Yes, have it in writing...

I think from the tone of the meeting I could have asked for anything and they would have agreed. Many deadlines coming up they need work done on to meet.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:59 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
Here's a good boss story for you. In some respects this seriously challenged my semi-Marxist ethos, because frankly if there are people stupid enough to put up with this... well perhaps they deserve it. I suppose it's really a matter of need though; I'm fortunate that I don't really *need* this job for survival, so I don't have to feel like I should put up with it if it becomes a problem.

If this wouldn't make your blood boil you've got no sense of pride:

I've got a pissant part-time job at a retail store to pay some bills for the time being. I was told today that I am not allowed to have more than $10 in cash in my wallet while working, and no money in my pockets, or I risk being fired, and that if I ever have a $20 (or more!) I'd better tell a manager. What the f***? In the goofy training manual there's a big list of rules "to foster an environment of mutual trust and respect, integrity, and honour", and the rules read like a prisoner's code of conduct. No serving family members; no money in your pockets; etc.

I know some of you will just blame it on the thieves who "ruin it for the rest of us"... but frankly if you treat your employees with some respect and give them a touch of integrity instead of treating them like criminals your incidences of theft will probably drop dramatically.

Or maybe, you know, give them a free lunch. If they're stealing food they're probably f**k hungry.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:12 am 
And baby makes six!

restricting the cash you bring in? That is a new one.

I know at FEDEX your not supposed to bring MP3 players, cell phones and other small devices to work...and it is to prevent you from taking one out of a box and claiming you brought it in. I still brought my cell phone in, with the attitude "What are they going to do fire me?" and really not caring.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 am 
NSFW

Camera: Nikon D3, Nikon D2X, Nikon F90
Lens: Nikon 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 80-400mm f4-f5.6
Favorite Type: People - streets, photojournalism, portraiture, model photography
Personally I think bosses are great :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
Kurt wrote:
restricting the cash you bring in? That is a new one.

I know at FEDEX your not supposed to bring MP3 players, cell phones and other small devices to work...and it is to prevent you from taking one out of a box and claiming you brought it in. I still brought my cell phone in, with the attitude "What are they going to do fire me?" and really not caring.

Yeah, exactly. If we have the luxury of not *really* needing these kinds of shitty jobs we can maintain a bit more integrity than those who really do need them. It's too bad.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 pm 
Bird(s on the) Brain

Camera: 1D3, 50D, 40D & 5D
Lens: There isn't enough room here for it all, 5 L's (zooms), 5 primes all Canon & a couple more
Favorite Type: What is paying the most at the time
Inspiration: Ben Franklin & U.S. Grant
Gosh I wish I could empathize with you all that have had such terrible positions or employers but I have never hasd a similar experience. I did have one job as a an accounting system manager and had a our comptroller blow up over a change in reporting but because I am an anal retentive I had her signature on the documentation noting the change he requested. She had been threatening firing me because it effected the owners equipment flooring rates. After showing her the document I only asked her if the owner was considering firing her for approving it? That was funny, I worked there for another couple years before leaving to be cop.

Current job is great, I have research projects that I document progress or delays, I assist in a couple other research projects or as the expert in a couple areas have to assist some outside my normal stuff but have no one ever looking over my shoulder. My time is set by myself and can include working from home. Great place to be!

http://www.bradmanchas.zenfolio.com
Referral Code: QCG-WKX-BXM