John
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fed up with Vista
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:35 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
OK to edit my images: Yes
_Something_ broke yesterday afternoon. Popped out for about an hour, came back, found the computer had gone into a sort of coma-like state - still on, still active, couldn't be woken, wasn't responding to even the power switch. So, force power down and reboot.

Since then -
* I actually get a desktop on boot maximum 50% of the time. The rest of the time I get a blank desktop that won't even respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del. Safe mode hasn't worked once.
* Every time, it freezes on shut down.
* Windows update can see the updates and start downloading, but says it's never getting anything (which appears to be true).
* Windows Defender won't update or run
* The systray says the network isn't connected and the control panel network manager won't start up. It is, however, demonstrably connected to the Internet through that network.
* The task manager appears to start up and put the icon in the systray, but that's the end of it. It shows no activity and won't show its interface.
* System restore won't let me in, just sits there scanning.

What was changed before this? Tried to set up bluetooth to connect to my phone, which failed and so has been removed. Nothing else at all in weeks. With hundreds of photos to edit from this week and likely many, many more from this weeked I could really have done without this.

Hate to suggest it's a virus - I'm running updated antivirus and a firewall - but this does look very like something trying to protect itself from removal.

Heading out in a mo, but I foresee hours of playing with recovery discs that I hope I can find this evening.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

Post subject: Re: Fed up with Vista
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:36 am 
NSFW

Camera: Nikon D3, Nikon D2X, Nikon F90
Lens: Nikon 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 80-400mm f4-f5.6
Favorite Type: People - streets, photojournalism, portraiture, model photography
Ouch :shock:

I have vista on my light weight work laptop - the one I take on customer visits (it's small and weighs less than 1kg). I only run outlook and office on it really as well as web browsing, but the performance of it is awful.

I bought a "photography" laptop last year and based on my experience with Vista, I opted for an XP installation. Thankfully it's lightning fast and extremely stable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:37 am 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
Hi Greg

I don't (and won't) run Vista, so I can't be of much help, but the first thing I would try is to unplug everything except keyboard/monitor/mouse. That'll reduce the amount of work it has to do while booting. Once it's up (if it works), then plug stuff back in one at a time. If that doesn't work, then I would repeat the process, except delete all the devices from the hardware manager before reconnecting them.

I have a Sony GPS tracker that I was using to geotag my photos (using a Garmin Oregon 300 now). My machine won't boot at all with the Sony plugged in. Once the machine is running though, I can plug it in and everything's fine.

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:14 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
That's a common problem. You can read all about the solution at http://www.ubuntu.com or http://www.apple.com

On my PC I use ubuntu dual booting with win XP. On my mac it's OS X + Win XP. I've used vista on other people's computers and I wouldn't even consider ever using it. It's awful.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:28 pm 
Race Addict

Sadly a) I was stuck with Vista, couldn't opt for for XP when I got it (though until this I wasn't overly concerned about that, swings and roundabouts against XP IMHO) and b) it's a laptop so no way to unplug things.

I tried some bits before going out for the afternoon but it didn't get a desktop once. Think this is rapidly heading towards a recovery disk :-(

The really annoying thing is that I do now have a home server of sorts (a cheap recon desktop with lots of sharing options and wake on lan set up) - if I hadn't had an odd problem with an external drive (you can see it's really not been my week) I'd have got all my documents moved across to running network-based by now and have the laptop hosting nothing but my email. Long-term, I'm honestly wondering about writing my own email client / server system so I could get something like Exchange's local cached mode on a home-suitable scale.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:36 pm 
NSFW

Camera: Nikon D3, Nikon D2X, Nikon F90
Lens: Nikon 300mm f2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 80-400mm f4-f5.6
Favorite Type: People - streets, photojournalism, portraiture, model photography
Can you step back to a previous restore point?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:49 pm 
Race Addict

walter23 wrote:
That's a common problem. You can read all about the solution at http://www.ubuntu.com or http://www.apple.com

On my PC I use ubuntu dual booting with win XP. On my mac it's OS X + Win XP. I've used vista on other people's computers and I wouldn't even consider ever using it. It's awful.

:evil:

I run Windows for two reasons -
1. After years of fighting for something better to get momentum, I gave up. Life's too short, the others have far too little software IME and both have significant flaws themselves.
2. I write Windows software for a living. It'd be far harder for me to stay up to speed with the skills that pay for my toys if I didn't run Windows at home.

And anyway, what exactly is so horrible about Vista? User access control? I like the better security, and that you can finally actually use a non-administrator account for day-to-day computing. The interface? I turn aero glass off and leave it on the old-style stuff, just as I did with XP. Performance? It's not much slower when the fancy visuals are turned off, and pretty much every version has been slower than what came before (as with most software). Software compatibility? I've had two problems, one with software designed for Windows 3 that was already unstable on XP and another with one particular tool in Paint Shop Pro 8. Largely otherwise it's been fine (until this, which I find it difficult to believe you saw on your friends' PCs), and I do find other benefits.

One thing I will complain about though is the different handling of Windows Update. I hadn't twigged before that it wouldn't even tell you there were updates if you didn't log in as an admin, which meant there was a large backlog because I hadn't otherwise had any need to go in for some time. It seems to me it'd make more sense to alert users to the upgrades and require the admin password, as for other jobs. But again, I doubt you saw that on your friends' PCs.

ciaran wrote:
Can you step back to a previous restore point?

Doubt it. Desktop wasn't coming up at all earlier, and when it was going to system restore just left it sitting there searching - much like Windows Update, which was another option I was wondering about for fixing things.

Greg
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:29 am 
And baby makes six!

Camera: D3, D2x, D200, D70IR
Lens: lots o glass
Favorite Type: Sports seems to be the thing for me now
Inspiration: My muse, Scarlett Johansson
Even with XP I used to have that issue.

What was it...windows NT was the only operating system that they put out that did not have 'sleep' issues with waking the system back up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:57 pm 
Race Addict

I've had XP go to sleep when it shouldn't have before, but for a force reboot to then produce a system that either won't boot or is seriously crippled when it does is a new one to me.

Greg
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:02 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
In this weeks computer world there was a side article about users uninstalling Vista and loading an older version of XP. Apparently licensed versions of vista can be bought for $50 US. I haven't bought a new PC for a while and am not looking forward to moving to Vista. It seems like I should be able to use the version of XP from my old PC when I do upgrade hardware, it is becoming harder and harder to find an OEM that will install XP as an alternative to Vista.

Good luck with the restores.

Another side note.

I gave an apple LC2 to a friend of mine 14 years ago or so. I was talking to him last night and the darn thing is still running. He can only run the software he has had for years but the kids like a few of the games on there and it is a great homework machine as long as you only need the printer and the text editor apple works I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:19 am 
A Strobist

Camera: D300, Hasselblad, FM2
Lens: Lots.
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Nachtwey
There are still downgrade disks out but you need to hassle your manufacturer for them.

I run vista to run serato scratch live (DJ application that allows turntables with 'control records' to play digital music) which is obviously something that I can't have crashing out on me halfway through a job.
As yet I have never had one single crash (in 2 years) And have upgraded every computer in my house to vista since.