All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:00 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:35 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
I think the punishment should fit the crime for the next six years the offending Judges should have to live and work at a juvenile detention center. Not time off for good behavior no weekends home they eat what the kids eat do what the kids do. I think that matches the time they were getting kickbacks 2002 to 2009. They should also loose any payouts from the quid pro quo arraignment this money could go to fund other centers not paying kickbacks. Similarly the detention center administrators should receive the same punishment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:31 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

I read that they are both out on bail. That they lose their pensions if convicted of a felony while they are sitting judges. They will get disbarred. And they are facing 87 months in jail.

All that sounds like a lot, but they have irrevocably ruined many youngsters lives, so I think they are getting off cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:52 am 
Volcanic

Camera: Canon 40 D
I won't comment on the judges or the pending charges, but offer some observations. Juvenile court judges have more power and discretion than almost any other type of judge. There are good reasons for this. Kids are not little adults. They are immature and do not always respond to inducements that would motivate an adult defendant. They also move really fast and unless the judge is pretty flexible and proactive the kids will outrun the the system both figuratively and literally.

But because juvenile court judges have such power, it is absolutely essential that kids have competent lawyers who represent the interests of their clients - not the interests of the parents or the court system. In my jurisdiction every child gets public defender representation and we don't let them waive it. I always tried to make it very clear to young public defenders that these were the most important clients they would ever have.

Thousands of juvenile court judges across the country love to work with kids, advocate for them every day, and constantly challenge the system to meet their needs. The article is very shocking to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:20 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Pelewatcher,

It would appear that defendants' rights are upheld differently in different states. It would seem that Hawaii's insistence on public defenders is a wise one provided that there are enough of them to provide the needed attention that each case requires.