PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:17 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
OK to edit my images: Yes
I'll keep this venting short. I stewed all week. :lol:

Girls' basketball team A qualifies for the state championship game. It's a hot game , a Hoosier's moment . A small school of 244 taking on a huge school named after a Saint. :)

A special floor pass is necessary for the game so I called the local paper but they already have someone to cover the game. I spoke with the school and they gave their pass to the yearbook teacher. :( A friends daughter played in the game and she asked me if I was there could I try to get a few of her daughter playing. I explained I was sitting in the stands and they may not allow my camera equipment into the arena without "the pass."

No problems getting in my 7D and 70-200L but shooting from the stands, well stinks. Too many people in the way, just not a good place to be. I noticed the schools yearbook teacher has a nice point and shoot camera (G9). I tried to weasel myself onto the main floor but the normal press pass wasn't good enough. I spent a little time talking with the newspaper photographer and he commented he had to set the ISO for the yearbook teacher she wasn't sure what it was or what it should be set on. I :D :D :D . As I sat in the stands I thought to myself "these shots suck, I'd be embarrassed to charge for them."

Ah.. in this story the media darling underdog loses. Next day I open the paper and admire the work of the newspaper photog., turn the page to follow the story and "bam" one of my photos bylined "photo courtesy of school." I finished the sport section and as I turned to the last page "bam" a full page advertisement by the school congratulating the team on the runner-up finish and 25-2 record and another of my photographs across the entire page! WT#@%^&$#* !!!! .

I called the sports editor and he told me that the school released the photos to him, a common practice so my anger is narrowed to the school.

I prepared an invoice with some "pissed off" additional charges and headed into the schools publicaton department. The department head said the yearbook teachers camera malfunctioned and he didn't have any photos but he had permission to use my photos and was given the password to view and download the images from a girl player. I said as a former editor of the Detroit News you know you didn't have permission to use my images without my consent. He said "sue me." I dropped the invoice on his desk and replied " this is what it will cost you this week, next week it changes."

I called the players parent to explain the drama, she apologised and offered to pay but I said it's between the school & me just don't give out passwords again..yada yada yada...

Yesterdy the school called me and said come pick up my check, the parent had called the athletic director and it snowballed from there. I was paid for the use of subpar photographs...life is okay...sometimes.

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:52 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Philip sometimes we are too self critical of our images. This are as good as most shots I see in the daily paper. Way to stick to your guns and have the school pay for your images.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:36 pm 
aka discofish

Well done mate for sticking with it. But the attitude stinks!

My recent 'mishap':

Model comes over for a shoot. I know her, and am shooting for free. She brings a stylist, although i did not know this until the day before. Anyhow, as the shoot progresses I get a little suspicious and ask the 'stylist' if they are her clothes the model is wearing, and does she sell them? Yes, she has an on-line store. Hmmmmm.....

So, at the end of the shoot I ask the model if there are shots she particularly wants, because i was finished. She replies no, so i then turn to the stylist and ask the same questions. 'Oh yes, i'd like a shot of this dress from the back' she says. Ha ha - busted!

I decide to ask the model the next day and yes, she had brought the stylist and said the shots could be used for advertising. When i told her that i didn't agree, the model was really embarressed; she wasn't so cluey about ownership and copyright. (She's very new to modelling).

Anyhow, I held back the photos for some time until I had very clearly in writing that the model understood the conditions of using my photographs and she agreed. She also told the stylist that she couldn't use them. She offered to buy them from me, but I told her I don't agree prices after the shoot - which gets her off the hook as i know she couldn't afford what i would charge.

To cut the shory short, i'm now much more careful that the models understand 'the rules'. I'll also be checking occassionally on the stylists website and using www.tineye.com for other checks.

Well done Phil for getting the check - and they area also great shots!

...and my website

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:38 pm 
Gold Member

Favorite Type: Wildlife
Inspiration: What I photograph inspires me.
I think you handled the situation in a professional manner and I'm glad it worked out for you (and the school) in the end. Don't sell yourself short on your photos either. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:42 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
Thanks guys.

Peter I knew you had suspected as much during your shoot. You had a young model that didn't quite understand and I had a teenage athlete that had no clue. I couldn't get made at her but the damn publication editor for the school work for 20 years an editor for the largest newspaper in Michigan. He knew better.

I'm not sure how any of the photos will print. I shot most at ISO 3200. I must admit they did look good across the entire page of the newspaper. :lol:

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:46 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Nikon D300s
Favorite Type: Landscape and Artisitc
Inspiration: My Dad
Its been said Phil... way to go! You pulled off great shots in a difficult environment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Fuji S5Pro, Nikon D1x
Lens: Sigma 10-20, Various Nikon
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Gallen Rowell, Joe Cornish, Colin Prior
Duane wrote:
I think you handled the situation in a professional manner and I'm glad it worked out for you (and the school) in the end. Don't sell yourself short on your photos either. 8)

I agree, and it pays to stick to your principles, well done.

Rick

http://www.ricklodgephotography.com/

Editing: Please ask first