TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
OK to edit my images: Yes
It's always baffled me when the organizers of a photo competition offer up a camera as the prize. Hello? If I entered the competition, don't I already have a camera??? Ok, maybe if they offered a big, expensive, wiz-bang nobody can actually afford it type camera, but usually they're not. More often, the offered camera is an entry level camera at best.

Many years ago, my sister won a photo competition, and the prize turned out to be a bottom-of-the-barrel Polaroid camera. Huh???

So what brings this up? This - http://www.x100challenge.com/#english

Fuji and Camtec are having a competition that requires a Fuji X100 to enter, and then offering a Fuji X10, a scaled down, cheaper version of the X100 (albeit with a zoom lens) as the grand prize. What? If I have an X100, why do I need an X10???

Really???

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm 
Gold Member

Favorite Type: Wildlife
Inspiration: What I photograph inspires me.
OK to edit my images: No
And one reason why I don't bother entering photo contests.....I think I've entered one since I started 4 years ago and the only reason I did that was because a local wildlife biologist suggested I enter it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:59 pm 
Sith Lord

Camera: D7000 and Minolta SR102T
Lens: Nikon 50mm and Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro and Landscape
Inspiration: Sam Abell - for the longing of photos I have not yet taken.
Wow. That is really stupid. I could really see it the other way, x10 contest to win an x100, but that's just nuts.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:18 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
I have entered a few contest never with a camera up for grabs. I have one $100 dollars a few times in regional contest, I am all for the cash, or when memory cards were expensive my choice of memory card.

I so reason to offer a entry level camera in any photo contest. Fuji could afford to offer a top of the line camera has a prize to promote their products.

Silly the way this contest is set up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:18 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon SX10IS
Lens: NA
Favorite Type: All
Inspiration: Absolutely everything!
Sounds silly indeed. Maybe the prize is to give away to a beginner friend or something....

http://miadelight.multiply.com/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:21 am 
aka discofish

Sounds like the prize is for ebay!

...and my website

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:00 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
http://gizmodo.com/5850747/canon-1d-x-q ... -dslr-ever

I would enter a contest for a chance at this camera.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:46 am 
aka discofish

ScottHadl wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/5850747/canon-1d-x-quite-possibly-the-most-epic-dslr-ever

I would enter a contest for a chance at this camera.

Wooooooo hooooooooooooooo!

...and my website

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
I won a contest a few years back and the prize was a point & shoot camera and four field box tickets to watch our professional baseball team. The seats were great but I cannot recall the name of the camera?

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:32 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: 50D, 5D MKII
Lens: MP-E64, Sig 150mm f/2.8, Sigma macro, Sig 120-400mm, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 10x microscope objective
Favorite Type: Macro-There's another type?
Inspiration: LordV-Brian Valentine
I have only entered one (2nd place in the flower division) and got two subway sandwiches out of it.

Instead of a camera, charge an entry fee and have a 50/50.

I decided that it would be my last contest when I over heard this in front of one picture, "here it is, yeah that is hers. Call everyone and get them in here to vote for her, I want her to win this thing, and remember to tell them where to find it." The picture really did not belong in there competing as it was filled with glaring tech errors. I have no idea who won what, I just went in, picked up the gift card, and took Sunhawk to lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 am 
Wings Fan

Thunder wrote:
I have only entered one (2nd place in the flower division) and got two subway sandwiches out of it.

I decided that it would be my last contest when I over heard this in front of one picture, "here it is, yeah that is hers. Call everyone and get them in here to vote for her, I want her to win this thing, and remember to tell them where to find it." The picture really did not belong in there competing as it was filled with glaring tech errors. I have no idea who won what, I just went in, picked up the gift card, and took Sunhawk to lunch.

I enter the "free" contest(s) which will have the donated prizes and usually the non professional doing their best to make it successful. I've been involved as a "prize getter" in raffles and paid visits to the local businesses. I'd take whatever they donated. :D This past fall I entered the local First State Bank calendar contest (free) which required images of our county (Macomb) only, my photo was selected as November although I entered it as March. I think they had a quality of photo issue since "only one photo will be selected per entrant" as two people had multiple winners, and the photos were less than stellar, a few reminiscent of mobile phone quality, but that's how the little contests usually are. I received a $25.00 gift card and two copies of the calendar in the mail. I flipped the gift card over to the local wildlife rehab center as my annual donation and life is good. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 am 
Platinum Member

Lens: MP-E64, Sig 150mm f/2.8, Sigma macro, Sig 120-400mm, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 10x microscope objective
eastsider wrote:
Thunder wrote:

I enter the "free" contest(s) which will have the donated prizes and usually the non professional doing their best to make it successful. I've been involved as a "prize getter" in raffles and paid visits to the local businesses. I'd take whatever they donated. :D This past fall I entered the local First State Bank calendar contest (free) which required images of our county (Macomb) only, my photo was selected as November although I entered it as March. I think they had a quality of photo issue since "only one photo will be selected per entrant" as two people had multiple winners, and the photos were less than stellar, a few reminiscent of mobile phone quality, but that's how the little contests usually are. I received a $25.00 gift card and two copies of the calendar in the mail. I flipped the gift card over to the local wildlife rehab center as my annual donation and life is good. 8)

Ya know, I have always like you and your out look. Your donations to the wild life rehab center simply support this, I don't live all that far from you, maybe this summer I could hop on Stardust and ride up there and we could do lunch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:28 am 
Wings Fan

Thunder,
if you hurry you can catch lunch with Aaron and me tomorrow afternoon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:18 pm 
Platinum Member

eastsider wrote:
Thunder,

Man I would love to, but I would need to take the bike, and it is said that the high is only going to be 25, a bit cold for a long ride.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:08 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
I hereby offer to accept any undesirable photographic gear won by forum members in photo contests.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am 
Sith Lord

Camera: D7000 and Minolta SR102T
Lens: Nikon 50mm and Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro and Landscape
Inspiration: Sam Abell - for the longing of photos I have not yet taken.
Thunder wrote:
eastsider wrote:
Thunder,

Man I would love to, but I would need to take the bike, and it is said that the high is only going to be 25, a bit cold for a long ride.

I saw a guy riding his bike this morning. It made me want to get mine out, but then I cracked the window open to feel how cold it was at 75 mph. Then I remembered why I still keep a car in Michigan. :lol:

Since you live close to us Thunder, this spring/summer/fall, we need to get together!

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:56 pm 
Platinum Member

Aaron wrote:
Thunder wrote:
eastsider wrote:
Thunder,

I saw a guy riding his bike this morning. It made me want to get mine out, but then I cracked the window open to feel how cold it was at 75 mph. Then I remembered why I still keep a car in Michigan. :lol:

Since you live close to us Thunder, this spring/summer/fall, we need to get together!

Sounds good, we'll work it out :)