Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subtle hints
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 am 
Gold Member

Favorite Type: Wildlife
Inspiration: What I photograph inspires me.
OK to edit my images: No
My favorite place to photograph wildlife is a local botanical garden close to my home. It's 155 acres of lush plantings surrounded by a lake and a haven for native wildlife. No pets are allowed on the property but yet for the last 4-5 years a cat has been allowed to roam free. I have not got a straight answer who's cat this is but I suspect it's the directors son who lives in the one house built on the property a long time ago. I usually see the cat during the evening hours so I guess he lets it out when he gets home.

I love cats...I grew up with them and even owned them once I moved out on my own. My cats were indoor cats as they should be. Domesticated cats have natural tendencies to hunt but don't usually eat what they kill. They reek havoc on wildlife and are not natural to "the system". One good thing about this cat (if there is a positive to this) is it's de-clawed and wears a bell. I do understand cats are good for stuff like this in rural areas where mice and rats are a problem (farming areas) but in an urban area I see no purpose they serve out in the wild.

I have been taking photographs of it when I see it on the property and posting them on a local forum where I know people from the botanical garden visit to view the images we capture. My way of dropping some hints without coming out and speaking my mind about seeing this cat there.....the photographers kind of have a working relationship with the botanical garden and they do let us get away with some things normal visitors wouldn't be able to do.

This image was taken last night near the Eagles nest. They have signs put up around the barriers to keep people out of the nesting area along with carts the workers use to haul stuff around the gardens.

Before:

After:

I captured this one a while ago and the cat killed this vole (?) but didn't eat it..it left it on the path and kept on hunting.

I'm not venting or moaning about this...more frustration than anything and I hope by doing this I will get my (our) point across to them while still keeping the peace. By the way..it's a beautiful cat and very friendly. Maybe I should kidnap it and take it home with me. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Subtle hints
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
OK to edit my images: Yes
Love the sign change. Very funny! Hopefully, posting this on the forum will help.

Wally breezed by as I was looking at the cat, glanced at my screen, and said "nice cat picture." I said "Bet you'd never guess who took it." When I told him, he wondered if the eagles would attack it if they thought it was a danger to them. Would they?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
Gold Member

If the cat climbed the Eagle nest tree while they had eggs or chicks yes, the Eagles would attack it to defend their nest. Doubtful the cat can climb the tree though without claws plus there's more things to hunt on the ground. The Eagles wouldn't go after it on the ground either...they have easy pickings form the surrounding lake to waste energy on a cat. I'm really surprised one of the Foxes hasn't taken it though.

I joked with some fellow photog's about how ironic it would be to see this cat on the Eagle cam attacking the chicks....talk about an uproar from cam viewers. :shock: It would never happen though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:31 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon SX10IS
Lens: NA
Favorite Type: All
Inspiration: Absolutely everything!
OK to edit my images: Yes
He he, clever sign Duane and good cat capture!

If the cat can't really harm any eagles is there really a problem with it hanging out there? Or
maybe if there are other birds it can kill I can understand your frustration....

http://miadelight.multiply.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm 
Gold Member

Domesticated cats should not be outdoors hunting wildlife period as far as I'm concerned. They have instincts of a hunter but aren't natural to the environment (at least not here). Wildlife has enough problems dealing with day to day survival than to have to deal with a domesticated cat killing them for no reason. Raptors and other predators I can understand...they hunt for survival...they don't have the luxury to go home and be fed.

I keep saying domesticated because domesticated cats were bred from wild cats into peoples homes. I had someone point that out for me. My reply was once I see a wild cat (not a domesticated one turned loose) with a collar and bell on hunting for survival I will shut up. :lol: