Post subject: Over qualified
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
OK to edit my images: Yes
I met with the new (young) business director today to discuss the upcoming employee contracts and I discovered after 25 years I am over qualified for my job. :lol: The school has no need for a person with his Journeyman's Refrigeration, Asbestos Contractor & Supervisor License, Gas Pipe fitters journeyman's card, High Pressure Steam Operator License, ACCA accreditation and certified welder, and of course the useless BS History degree. :D A product of: offer me a free education and I'll take it!

I kindly pointed out that when he turned 3 years old the school insisted and paid for the ACCA, Asbestos C&S and the upgrade from low pressure steam to the high pressure license and the school has paid the yearly renewal of all the licenses since. And his thoughts were the school doesn't need skill trades people just button pushers, turn on lights, set up tables and the ability to call a contractor in case of emergency. That's the way the school operated from wince he came.

Knowing the answer I asked "why are you here instead of the other school" to which he replied "it went belly up, out of business." My reply "so you want to use your business template that bankrupted your former school on the oldest and most successful private school in Michigan? For 133 years this school has thrived but you want to institute a business model for a school you bankrupted...not seeing it. Let's say you privatize our entire department and you realize two weeks before school starts your button pushers aren't cutting it.....where will your next job be? You have 7 employees whose seniority ranges from 21 years to 33 years and I'm the oldest person looking at 58yrs of age. It will suck to be you in September."

He said he was "exploring" his options, nothing more. I again kindly replied: "I'm certain the same words the custodial and kitchen staff heard before getting the pink slips."

My job has become obsolete with the onerous regulations put on school by the state & union lobbyists but the other guys need to stay. Just sayin'.

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

Post subject: Re: Over qualified
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:28 pm 
Gold Member

OK to edit my images: No
That Sucks...

Everyone except my mother calls me Al.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:51 pm 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
OK to edit my images: Yes
Meadowlark wrote:
That Sucks...

Not as much for me as the others.

I wonder how a 28 yr old business director with 4 years of appropriate experience can determine the fate of an accumulated 170 years of experience based on a business model that bankrupted a previous administration.

I feel I have nothing to lose so I can talk freely and he was clearly intimidated by my responses. It brings to mind the adage " youth is wasted on the young." :D

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 am 
Gold Member

Favorite Type: Wildlife
Inspiration: What I photograph inspires me.
I dislike "bean counters". This is how I would describe this gentleman....not seeing the bigger picture and just looking at numbers. :?

Bean counters purchased my previous employer and ran the business into the ground not understanding how cut throat our area is as far as contractors. What works in one area doesn't necessarily work in another and we tried to explain that to them...needless to say everyone saw the writing on the wall and got out while we could....went from about 16 technicians to 3 now...they have more "managers" than people that actually do the work.

Last edited by PaulT on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spelling

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:27 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
Seeing the same thing here, if it simple and repeatable lets send it off shore. Right nothing is as simple and repeatable as it looks on the surface. The first time things go off script they toss up their hands and look for help of the old staff, if there are any remaining that know what is really going on. I can't tell you how many things I have had to figure out in the past 3 months because there is nobody that knows how to do it. I am not that smart I just keep digging until I find something or someone that can help.