John
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:22 pm 
Landscape Artist

Camera: Canon 5Dc, Canon 5D MK II,
Favorite Type: Landscapes/Nature
OK to edit my images: No
The following will help you understand how to calculate exposures when using Bulb mode.
When I read this it clicked and I finally understood how to calculate exposures with bulb mode (Or any mode really), I used to just wing it and hope the shot turned out. LOL

If your camera’s meter will only calculate exposure times below 15 seconds (for many models, that’s the low end cutoff), try opening the aperture until you get a correct exposure reading, then calculate the remaining stops to get the maximum exposure length. For example, if you had to open the aperture to ƒ/5.6 before getting a correct exposure reading for a 15-second exposure, you’ll have to count down the remaining stops and exposure times. If, in this example, the minimum aperture your lens had was ƒ/32, that’s five stops from ƒ/5.6 (ƒ/8, ƒ/11, ƒ/16, ƒ/22, ƒ/32). Your exposure time would be eight minutes at ƒ/32 (15 sec. at ƒ/5.6; 30 sec. at ƒ/8; one minute at ƒ/11; two minutes at ƒ/16; four minutes at ƒ/22; and finally, eight minutes at ƒ/32). Set the camera to Bulb and use a cable release. All these long exposures will be running your batteries down very quickly.

This info was taken from Outdoorphotographer.com
<a href="http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2007/aug/neutral_density2.shtml">www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2007/aug/neutral_dens...</a>