Challenge 141 - Artistic
TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:47 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

So, I finally got around to trying a pyro developer on some Efke PL 50 M. I used wd2d+, which is a hardening developer.

To test this combination, I decided to give it the ultimate highlight differentiation test that I can think of, short of shooting straight into the sun. I shot a magnolia blossom in high noon, sunny-16 light. The magnolia is almost pure white, and the leaves are very reflective and oily looking, plus there is a lot of white/grey stone around. In other words this is a shot that anybody with common sense would walk away from and come back 5 or 6 hours later! So it's a challenging highlight test. This is about as hard as doing wedding shots outside in high noon light; keep this combo in mind if you try it!

N.b. I spot metered off the greyish granite in the background.

The big picture, rough edges and all... 3.25 x 2.25" neg...

Zoom with no sharpening and no grain removal. This is a very tight crop- about a ~1 cm wide section of the film:

Technicals:
Rb67 with 3.25" sheet film back, Efke PL 50 M rated at 50, 127mm lens at around f/5.6 and 1/250, as I recall. Developed in wd2d+ as follows:

30 sec prewash
Tray developed with 10 sec agitation per min for 6 mins at 23C in 10 ml part A +10mL part B + 500 mL water
Stopped in ilfostop at 1+19, 30 sec
Fixed for 5 mins in kodak rapid
Quick water rinse
10 min thorough water rinse

The negs are hard and sturdy and very nice, the stain is a barely noticeable neutral colour, kinda sepia looking, so I guess it'll be nice for Pt/Pd printing. The neg scans and prints very easily. If anything is blown on your screen, it is probably from my quick scan. What I'll ask you to notice are the gentle transitions in the highlights. I wouldn't know how to do any better without maybe pulling and preflashing.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:20 pm 
So, how do you like your Rb67, Keith? It seems to be the "coveted camera" in this new surge to film. I've watched them like a hawk for some 3 months on eBay, and can see I'll need to sell one of the vehicles off my driveway, just to afford a decent outfit. :) My understanding is that they're very heavy. ~ 6 lbs with a 90mm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:34 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

Oh yeah, I love the rb. I've been using it for several years and now that I've ventured into minisheet film and pyro, I like it even more. I now have a fleet of 3.25" sheet backs for the rb and just bought my final lens for it, a new 210 apo. Now I am considering whether to pick up another rb body, or maybe I should get an rz2 and start adjusting to the battery lifestyle.

The price of sheet film is driving a lot of very serious people into medium format; I've seen the value of my medium format rangefinders and perhaps even the rb system go up considerably. MF isn't quite the screaming good deal that it was a few years ago.

The biggest price hike I've seen, by far, is in polaroid sheet film. I just sold a single pack of Polaroid 809 for $750, that's $50 per exposure. I just couldn't justify shooting it myself at that price, as much as I adore the stuff.

It's hard to believe, but it goes back to a question that I posed many months ago here or on APUG: what would you pay to take the very last LF polaroid frame? Apparently the answer is going to be well into the hundreds or perhaps even thousands of dollars. The irony is that now, with digital quickly becoming the only convenient option in some parts of the world, a lot of people are finding out what the film process is actually worth... not in terms of megapixels or bits or bytes but rather in terms of hard currency.

P.S. Erie: I have your lens here boxed and ready to go tomorrow morning! Will wonders ever cease! And my 5x7 lensboard with your gizmo is almost ready, can't wait to do some 5x7 macro with the rb lenses, especially the 210.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:42 am 
Large Format Fomite

Camera: Canon 7D, 8x10 and 4x5 view cameras, Hasselblad, Noblex
Lens: Zeiss, Schneider, Noblar, Canon
Favorite Type: Landscape, Cityscape, Architecture
Inspiration: Van Gogh
I'm a big pyro fan. I used PMK-pyro. When I get access to a darkroom again I'll switch to Pyrocat HD, which seems to cause less nonspecific staining. I'd love to see the combination of Delta 3200 with a pyro developer. To shoot relatively grain free at 6400 or 12,800 would be nice if the developer blocks enough grain; and Delta 3200 is just a beautiful film.

I'm probably going to avoid staining developers for most 8x10 film, though, because I use them for alt processes and the stain can block UV light.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

Paul that's why I am using Wimberley's pyro, the wd2d+. Allegedly it is okay for Pt/Pd and also silver... one thing it isn't contrasty enough for, so I've read, is albumen. Anyway wd2d+ has no greenish tinge and that's one of its selling points, you can get away with using multigrade papers and contrast filters.

Oh and also, as I discovered a few weeks back, wd2d+ is a chemiluminescent developer, you get what I'd call a "stop flash" when the film goes into the stop (the big pH swing quenches an excited state). :shock: How cool is that.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery