It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:15 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Any idea of the prospects of fixing one of these? Is it usually a minor repair (like a corroded wire) or do the light-sensitive elements burn out or degrade totally beyond repair?

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:58 pm 
A Strobist

Camera: D300, Hasselblad, FM2
Lens: Lots.
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Nachtwey
I'd be interested to find out any info on this as well. Been testing an old meter lately and it tends to be close but usually a stop either way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 pm 
You might join the Classic Camera Repair Forum @ http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi . . . and then post your question under the Maintenance & Repair section.

My gut tells me the cell would have to be replaced and finding an exact replacement might be difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:38 am 
Das Kapital

Okay, thanks for the link. I found a zeiss super ikonta for a bargain that has a broken meter, but the meter isn't that important.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:01 pm 
Das Kapital

I picked it up for a bargain today ($40). Has a coated lens, but it's coated with more than just the Zeiss T coating. It's also coated with some condensation or fog on the inside. I hope I can get the lens apart, I don't think it's between elements, just on the outside (well inside, near the aperture) of the rear group. I fear the group might be cemented in place which would make cleaning difficult though.

Last edited by walter23 on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:55 pm 
Das Kapital

ARGH! I scratched the front of the lens (just tiny cleaning marks, but about 5 or 6 of them in a circular pattern) by failing to remove a piece of crap stuck to the lens before going over it with a lens cleaning cloth (I had tried to remove it then erroneously concluded it was a tiny chip in the lens). Oh well. You can see them when looking through the lens but I've shot through worse. Just sucks to take a mint front surface that's > 50 years old and be the guy who f***ks it up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:10 pm 
Time cures everthing. In one thousand years, nobody will give a rat's ass.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:17 am 
Film Shooter

walter23 wrote:
Any idea of the prospects of fixing one of these? Is it usually a minor repair (like a corroded wire) or do the light-sensitive elements burn out or degrade totally beyond repair?

Selnium cells degrade heavily, when they were stored in humid, warm or exposed conditions. Exposed means mainly to the usual air pollutants or ofcourse bright light. The cells die under these conditions within 25 years (or so). A properly stored Selenium cell can work very good for more than 4 decades. I have an old Sekonic 298 meter, which still is very accurate, though it is about 30 years old (may be a bit more).

There is a company in the UK, which sells Selenium cells for meters or repairs meters: http://www.megatron.co.uk/homepage.html

You can replace any Selenium cell with another one of the same size, as far as I know.

regards
René

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:27 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

I had an old Yashic with a built-in selenium cell meter. It was not coupled. The easy answer was a shoe mounted meter. There are some still available.

Otherwise, just use your hand-held meter. I don't think it is worth repairing and accuracy on these things was, at best marginal at lower light levels (pretty good at higher light levels).