Challenge 141 - Artistic
TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:11 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

Sometimes I see some lovely gear and just have to share...

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/products/h ... ts-15.aspx

Dunno why they went with the fluorescent knobs though.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:36 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Camera: Canon 7D, 8x10 and 4x5 view cameras, Hasselblad, Noblex
Lens: Zeiss, Schneider, Noblar, Canon
Favorite Type: Landscape, Cityscape, Architecture
Inspiration: Van Gogh
How much do the lenses cover? I guess if a typical 6x6 frame is really 56x56mm, and most digital hassy sensors are 48x36, that would be pretty decent.

The concept "new hassy" turns me off. Too damn expensive.

Speaking of which, I'm trying to sell my Canon 24mm tilt-shift lens. No luck yet. I haven't used it much since I got into film photography 2 years ago, and it's a pretty expensive toy. I'll probably get some good use out of the Noblex, and hopefully the tilt-shift will fund it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:36 pm 
aka TomTucketPhoto

Camera: One that goes click
Lens: The really long one that makes up for other short things in my life :(
Favorite Type: Fashion, Portrait, Editorial
Inspiration: complete ego!
Oh I can see product photographers jumping all over this!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:08 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Actually, the Hartblei lenses already have a good following, so.... I dunno how many folks will jump on this if it comes in at typical hassie prices. I mean, it wouldn't shock me at all to see a $2-3k price tag on this. The hartblei super rotators are around $700 and I haven't heard anything negative about them, so I wouldn't be surprised if this product announcement drives people to buy Hartbleis!

Paul, I have to say, I detest the new hassie body designs, they just look funky to me! I was looking at the new film 645 and I don't really care how great a camera it is, I can't use something that looks like that :roll: Seems to me they are simply going for something that stands out and is instantly recognizable as a hassie.. as opposed to focusing on what photographers really want in a body.

Incidentally, the rb lenses have way more coverage than the hassies, and there is a mamiya rz gizmo (~$600 used) that does roughly the same thing as the hassie unit. I was thinking of getting that and an rz body. But the rb/rz lenses are butt heavy, so currently I have a gizmo being made in the shop that will give me full view cam movements with any rb lens on a very sturdy metal 5x7 body, which I plan to use for macro. But still, a TTL-metering t&s system does have a lot of appeal... and if the adapter can fit in a corner pocket of my bag so that I can leave the view cam at home... Every now and then I regret giving up on the fuji gx680 system. It's basically an rb with integrated t&s. But it has some power issues and the lens family is too restrictive IMHO.

Paul did you put the t&s on the 'bay?

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:32 am 
aka TomTucketPhoto

Keithwms wrote:
Actually, the Hartblei lenses already have a good following, so.... I dunno how many folks will jump on this if it comes in at typical hassie prices. I mean, it wouldn't shock me at all to see a $2-3k price tag on this. The hartblei super rotators are around $700 and I haven't heard anything negative about them, so I wouldn't be surprised if this product announcement drives people to buy Hartbleis!

I'm not sure the price would really matter that much, I would think the the market this would be aimed at don't actually buy the equipment.....They lease it or rent it as needed. So many people may not run out and buy it, but rent it if they need a tilt shift for a shoot? I was at the Sarnia Duty Free shop (Going into Port Huron), they had a 20 feet picture of a bottle of some kind of liqueur on the side of the building. I walked up to it and the detail was out standing, you could tell it was taken with some monster of a camera. But the cool thing about it was the perspective distortion to the bottle, like it really was 20 ft tall....Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't a tilt-shift lens achieve that? Even though it was probably done in PS :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:11 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Yeah, a view camera or good t&s lens can accomplish just about any faux-perspective effect you want. Somewhere I saw some examples by someone who took whacked out photos of ordinary buildings and made them all look much more, uh, interesting.

Speaking for myself, I don't think rental is a way to go with this kind of thing. When you need it, you need it pronto. Anyway, I guess anybody who can afford a bajillion dollar new digihassie won't blink at the price tag of this accessory.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:28 am 
aka TomTucketPhoto

Keithwms wrote:
Yeah, a view camera or good t&s lens can accomplish just about any faux-perspective effect you want. Somewhere I saw some examples by someone who took whacked out photos of ordinary buildings and made them all look much more, uh, interesting.

Speaking for myself, I don't think rental is a way to go with this kind of thing. When you need it, you need it pronto. Anyway, I guess anybody who can afford a bajillion dollar new digihassie won't blink at the price tag of this accessory.

Yeah I guess it depends on where you live, I'm sure if you need a rental in NY you could have it the next hour. For me I would have to drive to Toronto which would add about $100 in gas to the price of the rental, but if the client wants pay.....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:36 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

The things about t&s is, as soon as you start using it, it becomes a standard variable for each and every composition, and you want it there all the time. As much as I love my rb, I frequently want at least a little t&s when working wide open and get frustrated when I have to switch gear to get it. So maybe the rz adapter is my solution, for portability.

I badly want t&s on my 645, that is my principal irritation right now. Guess it's hartblei or bust... or just wait for mamiya to counter hassie's thing. O rmake something myself.

Humm, wonder if there is an rz to 645 adapter!!!! Then I'd have enough image circle to do just about anything. Erie? ( OTOH it'd be pretty damn front heavy!)

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 pm 
Nickel Member

Camera: Nikon F/F3/F4, Fuji S2, RB67, Sinar 4x5/8x10
Huh?? somebody call.? RZ to 645 is a no go, the electronic shutter is a bitch to work with, I've played with the idea of an external control box, but all my electronic test equipment is in storage. I can see using an RB lens on a 645, lens set on T, bellows focusing of some sort, maybe simple base tilt/swing, and some JB weld to hold it all together. Anybody have a dead/cheap/free 645 and an extension tube lying around?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Keithwms wrote:
Actually, the Hartblei lenses already have a good following, so.... I dunno how many folks will jump on this if it comes in at typical hassie prices.
Hartblei now costs that much now that they get their glass from Carl Zeiss, though!

Quote:
Paul, I have to say, I detest the new hassie body designs, they just look funky to me!
Same -- but you can only avoid it so much, I mean they're trying to turn a very old concept, the 6x6 SLR, into a modern digital camera. They only have so much latitude!

Quote:
Paul did you put the t&s on the 'bay?
Haven't yet. There's a commission to sell on E-bay, isn't there?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:49 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

I'll spread the word on your t&s.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:44 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:11 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

Okay so this is my t&s solution for my rb. I got a used rz t&s adapter, and glued an rb body cap to an rz rear lens cap, and bored out the middle on a lathe. The resulting adapter is very sturdy and quite thin.

And ta da, t&s on an rb:

The lens on front is the 210 KL. Of course, I only have closeup focus on this rig; for infinity I'd have to use an rz short-barrel lens. But I also have an rz pro 2 and can get slightly further focus with that even without the short barrels.

Next I'll see if I can mount this gizmo on my 645 afd. 8)

Pardon the lousy cellphone shots. Hmm, I wonder if I can mount my cellphone to this rig as a digital back....

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 pm 
Nickel Member

You laugh, I'm working on using my Phase One Scanback on the RB, all the easy (figgering it out) part done, now I need to find a few $$$ to make/have machined the odds and ends.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:57 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

epatsellis wrote:
You laugh, I'm working on using my Phase One Scanback on the RB, all the easy (figgering it out) part done, now I need to find a few $$$ to make/have machined the odds and ends.

That shouldn't be too hard, right? There are many cheapo backs including a 4x5 back that you might be able to adapt. The Phase One can't go on via graflok? I eagerly await your results; I have betterlight trying to get me enthused about their backs, and I am just not sure. I mean almost everything I do involves a moving subject- even macros like opening flowers and such. I shoot almost everything between a second and 1/500 or so and I do use fill flash from time to time. The sales rep there wanted to know if I wasn't impressed with what I saw on their site, and... I didn't answer, but actually the answer is no, I'm not impressed because none of it looks like stuff I would want to shoot with a scanning back. And now they tell me that they no longer can supply the rb or rz adapters. So I am pretty much ruling them out. But for products a scanback would obviously rock.

My current thought is to eventually get a ZD and make a sliding back so that I can build ~6x7 and pano captures out of it if I want.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:31 pm 
Nickel Member

It is in fact going on via the graflock Toyo back I have as a spare, I need to waterjet up some .063 AL sheet to shim between the P Adapter and the back, then I'll be within a few thou of where I need to be.

erie