Challenge 141 - Artistic
TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Salyut (6x6 MF)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 pm 
A recent acquisition and a simple try at a product shot. I had a severe G.A.S. attack, what can I say.

An attempt by the Soviet camera industry to produce a sophisticated medium format camera.

Salyut (Version 3)
Produced: 1957-1972 Kiev Arsenal factory, Kiev, Ukraine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev_Arsenal_factory
Type: Medium Format SLR
Film Size: 120
Image Size: 6X6 cm(2.25X2.25 in)
Shutter: Metal curtain, Focal Plane 1/2 - 1/1000 sec, B
Viewfinder: waist level finder or optional prism
weight: 1526 g
Lens:Industar-29 2.8/80mm

Last edited by X. Phot. on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:18 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Salyut (6x6 MF)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:20 pm 
Landscape Artist

Camera: Canon 5Dc, Canon 5D MK II,
Favorite Type: Landscapes/Nature
OK to edit my images: No
That is sexy. Nice product shot as well.
Is 6x6 film readily available?

I have a sweet Zeiss Ikon I could trade for it.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:29 pm 
Looks just like my Kiev 88cm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 pm 
thomps6s wrote:

It uses the same film as your Zeiss, 120 film. It's probably the most readily available film on the market next to 35mm. Freestyle Photographic Supply in Californy is where I order all my film. They have numerous brands and speeds of 120 in stock. But stay away from the Fortepan. I tell ya, it's bad stuff. Ilford film is a top notch product. I do like Ilford Delta and Pan-F.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=403

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:54 pm 
chrisl wrote:
Looks just like my Kiev 88cm

It does look similar in many ways. I found this link . . .
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/kiev ... camera.htm

But, if your CM model is similar to the one shown at the link, there are a number of advancements made in design since mine was produced. Mine is probably some 30 years older than your Kiev model. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev-Arsenal_(photo_camera)

Last edited by X. Phot. on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:00 pm 
Landscape Artist

Camera: Canon 5Dc, Canon 5D MK II,
Favorite Type: Landscapes/Nature
OK to edit my images: No
DannL wrote:
thomps6s wrote:

It uses the same film as your Zeiss, 120 film. It's probably the most readily available film on the market next to 35mm. Freestyle Photographic Supply in Californy is where I order all my film. They have numerous brands and speeds of 120 in stock. But stay away from the Fortepan. I tell ya, it's bad stuff. Ilford film is a top notch product. I do like Ilford Delta and Pan-F.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=403

Thanks, shows ya what I know about Film.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:01 pm 
Yes the CM is a totally new model and more refined (if a Kiev can be refined). The CM has a newer mount that accepts P-six glass, better winding and overall better build, but under it's skin it's a Kiev and still needs to be banged against a tree from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:20 pm 
chrisl wrote:
Yes the CM is a totally new model and more refined (if a Kiev can be refined). The CM has a newer mount that accepts P-six glass, better winding and overall better build, but under it's skin it's a Kiev and still needs to be banged against a tree from time to time.

Is the CM model really worth $555 new, as priced in that rugift.com advertisement? In your opinion.
http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/kiev_88_cm_camera.htm
http://www.kremlinoptics.com/catalog/item/kiev_88_cm_camera.html

Here's an on-line manual for anyone interest in the operation of a Kiev 88cm.
http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/manuals/cameras/k88cm/88cm.htm

I have never found a manual for the Salyut.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:37 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

It sure is pretty! All that shiny chrome... makes the southerner in me want to get one.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:58 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Hasseblad bodies (used) are true bargains nowadays. They are extremely rugged and are "lifetime" cameras. I would not hesitate to buy a used one in good condition. It will probably last longer than the availability of film for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
Film Shooter

Some words to your product shot, then... All in all very well executed. The shadow area looks (from the visible noise) as whether you have brightened it considerably during pp - but the noise may also be an artefact of the scaling and compression for the web use? I also get a strange colour shift within the image, with the sepia tone of the background dominating, but shifting towards green on the right side. I can see the green tint reflected on the frontside chrome plating of the camera too, so I guess it is for real... May be your white balance was slightly off, due to the background colouring?

Otherwise the camera is excellently lit with very good contrast and you really succeeded bringing out the chrome plating, which is not an easy task. Congrats on that. I just wish for a little bit more light on the large black aread on top and on the side of the camera. There is probably some structure in the leathering, which I cannot not discern onscreen. But that could possibly also attributed to the web compression.

regards
René

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:21 pm 
Film Shooter

Packard wrote:
Hasseblad bodies (used) are true bargains nowadays. They are extremely rugged and are "lifetime" cameras. I would not hesitate to buy a used one in good condition. It will probably last longer than the availability of film for it.

That would also be what I would do nowadays. I have met just one photographer who professionally used a Kiev 88 (but that way some years ago) and he was very much underwhelmed by the camera, being unreliable etc. Seeing the Hasselblad prices on ebay or at KEH, it is a no-brainer to buy one, if need arises...

regards
René

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
René_P wrote:
Some words to your product shot, then... All in all very well executed. The shadow area looks (from the visible noise) as whether you have brightened it considerably during pp - but the noise may also be an artefact of the scaling and compression for the web use? I also get a strange colour shift within the image, with the sepia tone of the background dominating, but shifting towards green on the right side. I can see the green tint reflected on the frontside chrome plating of the camera too, so I guess it is for real... May be your white balance was slightly off, due to the background colouring?

Otherwise the camera is excellently lit with very good contrast and you really succeeded bringing out the chrome plating, which is not an easy task. Congrats on that. I just wish for a little bit more light on the large black aread on top and on the side of the camera. There is probably some structure in the leathering, which I cannot not discern onscreen. But that could possibly also attributed to the web compression.

regards
René

Thanks René for these observations. I suspect then you already guessed I used unconventional lighting for this pict. On the right side of the camera I used a single fluorescent lamp as part of an X-ray view box. The left side (facing the observer) was lit with a handheld 4x5 cold cathode adapter normally used as a light source for scanning negatives. The greenish tint is probably color balance, or the green shade on the lamp from my desk across the room? It was my original intent to top-light the camera more, and I didn't follow through. Artifacts from resizing and sharpening are probably my doing, or from Flickr. I would like to address these problems and I will repost a different version.

Wait! Wait! . . . I just found this. Maybe it's the camera and not the lighting! I see green.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120304254773&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/120304254773_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1
The seller is a not being truthful. He is not sad to sell it. It does not take sharp pictures, and it is not easy to load. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:24 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

DannL wrote:
Wait! Wait! . . . I just found this. Maybe it's the camera and not the lighting! I see green.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120304254773&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/120304254773_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQfviZ1:D

Soylent Medium Format!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm 
Packard wrote:

Don't laugh . . . the plot thickens.

When I first received the camera, the black exterior covering around the film advance was coming loose. I gingerly removed the black piece of material, thinking it was some synthetic material such as vulcanite. To my astonishment I realized this material was genuine leather. And then, all at once the horror became so evident (as only Marlon Brando could exclaim) . . . The horror! We invent these fancy machines to do work for us. Then we sacrifice small exotic animals, peel their flesh from their cold dead carcasses, and adorn our fancy machines with it. Oh the horror! The horror!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:31 pm 
Film Shooter

DannL wrote:
Packard wrote:

Don't laugh . . . the plot thickens.

When I first received the camera, the black exterior covering around the film advance was coming loose. I gingerly removed the black piece of material, thinking it was some synthetic material such as vulcanite. To my astonishment I realized this material was genuine leather. And then, all at once the horror became so evident (as only Marlon Brando could exclaim) . . . The horror! We invent these fancy machines to do work for us. Then we sacrifice small exotic animals, peel their flesh from their cold dead carcasses, and adorn our fancy machines with it. Oh the horror! The horror!

I recommend Lilliana Cavani's film "La Pelle". You will have some sleepless nights and never touch your Salyut again.

René

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:33 pm 
Film Shooter

DannL wrote:
Thanks René for these observations. I suspect then you already guessed I used unconventional lighting for this pict. On the right side of the camera I used a single fluorescent lamp as part of an X-ray view box. The left side (facing the observer) was lit with a handheld 4x5 cold cathode adapter normally used as a light source for scanning negatives. The greenish tint is probably color balance, or the green shade on the lamp from my desk across the room? It was my original intent to top-light the camera more, and I didn't follow through. Artifacts from resizing and sharpening are probably my doing, or from Flickr. I would like to address these problems and I will repost a different version.

You have a really unconventional lighting set-up! the fluorescent lamp might be the cause for the green tint. Even if it is a daylight type, that doesn't mean it has no colour cast. I mean for the usual BW x-ray films a colour cast is of not much importance...

regards
René

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 pm 
I need to approach this type of project when my other camera comes back from Iraq, if it survives. Should I win the Powerball lottery before then, that would be a tremendous help. Meantime, I think I'll just leave this as is. 8)

Three cold cathode light sources were used (one left, one right, one above).