It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:55 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
I found this in a small Geneva museum last week (maison tavel). I'd already been told in very certain terms that photography was forbidden (yes, even without flash), to the point that the woman who chastised me pointed to the security cameras around each room, but I risked it for a copy of this, which was just too cool.

Notice the content manipulation, done with negatives & bits of tape or something similar?

Need a closer look?

The image was from around 1915 and is part of an exhibit on Geneva and the changes in the city over the last hundred years or something. Interesting photos, mostly taken with large format in the older plate sizes and metric formats.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Are you talking about those two squarish black marks at the bottom on either side of the archway?

They are signs resting against the entry way; probably advertisements. There is a balcony at the other end of the archway (like at this end) and it is casting the shadow line at the entry.

So all and all your skepticism has trumped your reasoning (or maybe everything I wrote is bullshit--who knows?).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Packard wrote:
Are you talking about those two squarish black marks at the bottom on either side of the archway?

They are signs resting against the entry way; probably advertisements. There is a balcony at the other end of the archway (like at this end) and it is casting the shadow line at the entry.

So all and all your skepticism has trumped your reasoning (or maybe everything I wrote is bullshit--who knows?).

You could be right. I can't quite rationalize the semicircle of light around the black region of the top of the archway. I also seem to perceive a seam line just beyond the blown out bright region of the "sidewalk" area, although this could be a curb or something I suppose. Given the angle of illumination which appears to be coming from beyond the archway I don't see how a curb could cast a shadow like that in such an intensely blown out area, but it's possible.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:44 pm 
I would agree that something is not quite right. The contrasts around the door do not appear to match the contrasts of other areas in the picture. Manipulation was a common practice back then, unlike today. Whatever it took to make a picture.

Henry Peach Robinson used five negatives (at least) to produce the famous "Fading Away" picture (1858). http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/robinson.htm

After that happened, they took his Mac away and gave him a 286 with Windows on it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:36 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

The signs could be mirrors instead.

And an Osborne computer with CPM operating system would seem more appropriate than the 286. (And no live music either; just the 8-track for him).