It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:47 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Made by Cosina, sold as a Fuji 667 or Voigtlaender Bessa III.

http://fractionmag.blogspot.com/2008/09 ... ander.html

I know a lot of people aren't fans of Cosina, and a CLA'd Zeiss Super Ikonta ($500 or so) is probably better value for your buck, but still, this is cool.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

Indeed it is cool, and it will probably sell well into the thousands. Folders are very special. I don't think it will be able to compete with the Mamiya 6/6mf/7/7ii used market though. There are a lot of amazing pieces out there....

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Unless they have invented a new method of folding, I don't see it.

Folders are very neat in concept, but all past efforts have had issues with film plane to lens alignment.

Mostly designers try to work around the issue by using special lens designs and fixed position lenses to make for a compact camera rather than a folder.

I like the concept; I question the execution.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:07 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Well, yeah, but the argument for a folder is of course portability. The lens is slow enough that for the purposes this camera is intended (highly portable, scenic stuff) parallelism shouldn't be much of an issue. Based on results I've seen from the old Mamiya 6 folder, which did not have the benefit of modern Fuji ebc optics, I guess that ~30-40mp scans from slides shot through this camera will be quite glorious. The images will not suffer from lack of detail; I have used some smaller format (645) Fuji folders and I am very sure that the results will be astounding to anyone coming from a 35mm background.

Of course, the portability of the folder is what makes it so special. Nobody's gonna argue that a rigid camera wouldn't be even better, but you can take a folder places that no other camera can go.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

I admired (and was about to buy) the 645 folder from Fuji, but then they pulled them from the market because of alignment issues that they could not correct.

It is a difficult issue to deal with and you really can't tell people, "Use this camera for scenics and infinity focus shots only" and still expect to sell cameras.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Indeed the non-folding Fujis definitely are better overall, if wide-open critical sharpness is required.

Anyway I do think it's possible to engineer a reasonably stable folder now. It may require invar or inconel struts or whatever! But it is possible, with modern design capabilities. But people will probably find that the RF needs recalibration from time to time.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Keithwms wrote:
... But people will probably find that the RF needs recalibration from time to time.

Ultimately I think that will kill the sales of this product.