All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dammit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:27 am 
Large Format Fomite

Camera: Canon 7D, 8x10 and 4x5 view cameras, Hasselblad, Noblex
Lens: Zeiss, Schneider, Noblar, Canon
Favorite Type: Landscape, Cityscape, Architecture
Inspiration: Van Gogh
The local E6 lab is going to stop processing film as of December. That leaves me with a full service B&W lab in town and a C41 lab that doesn't do sheet film. And the lab in Raleigh, which is 90 minutes away from me, doesn't process sheet film either.

I have a ton of 8x10 and 4x5 transparency and negative film that I'd love to use, but I'm dreading the idea of having to send it out for processing. Should I just try to find a Jobo to do it myself?

Post subject: Re: dammit
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:29 am 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
drpablo wrote:
The local E6 lab is going to stop processing film as of December. That leaves me with a full service B&W lab in town and a C41 lab that doesn't do sheet film. And the lab in Raleigh, which is 90 minutes away from me, doesn't process sheet film either.

I have a ton of 8x10 and 4x5 transparency and negative film that I'd love to use, but I'm dreading the idea of having to send it out for processing. Should I just try to find a Jobo to do it myself?

I dunno. I'm kind of in a similar spot with a sort of dubious connection to E6 processing out here, though Vancouver (a pretty big city) is just across the water and there's a lab that still does C41 sheet film there. No doubt I'll be able to send, or personally transport, E6 there for a long time still.

I kind of wish I'd kept my JOBO that I got for free, but... it would have been a big pain in the ass to deal with over the last year and I've only done like $50 worth of colour.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:59 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

A lot of labs will provide pre-paid mailers for film processing.

Get a copy of PDN (Photo District News) and look for the ads. They usually have this in Barnes and Noble, but otherwise check on-line. An excellent resource for LF shooting.

You'll be OK for buying processing; when they decide to stop making film you will have some real issues.

See: http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/index.jsp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:40 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Well if you want to send it out then send it up here to stubblefield, they do a great job with sheets and will probably send them back same or next day.

Now, I don't know anybody who does big c41 sheets, you will probably want to do that yourself. Stubblefield doesn't do big c41 sheets. AFAIK I am the only guy in town who even asked for that.

You can do E6 yourself; I have a small and inexpensive kit, though I haven't tried it yet. My understanding is that it just requires accurate temp controls and that's it. B&w is pretty freewheeling, a degree or two or three won't kill you. E6 requires very good temp controls. But it is doable.

The lab that's stopped doing E6: is it possible that you could get the processor from them? Or that they could train you on dip 'n dunk E6 for sheets? I suppose Stubblefield might be willing to train us. I think he did ciba before too.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:13 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

E-6 requires temperatures in the 100 degree F range, so you have to constantly provide heat (or hot water) to maintain temperature. A couple of the baths require +/- 1/2 degree accuracy, a difficult thing for home processing as the standard temperature control water valves do not work to that tolerance. I guess there are professional grade ones to use--there must be--but I would assume that they are pretty expensive.

Of course if you really want to challenge yourself, process Kodachrome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:19 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Keithwms wrote:
The lab that's stopped doing E6: is it possible that you could get the processor from them? Or that they could train you on dip 'n dunk E6 for sheets? I suppose Stubblefield might be willing to train us. I think he did ciba before too.
I went there to pick up some film that was supposed to be ready yesterday and they'd completely forgotten about it. So I was too pissed off to ask them, but that was going to be my plan. They do bulk runs, so it's probably a big ATL-2 or something that would be too big for my house.

E6 is supposed to be pretty easy as long as you use a tempered water bath. The 8x10 sheets would be a pain though unless I got an expert drum or something. I don't shoot any C41 in 8x10 (yet) but I have a lot of 4x5 Portra at home.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:15 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

drpablo wrote:
Keithwms wrote:
I went there to pick up some film that was supposed to be ready yesterday and they'd completely forgotten about it. So I was too pissed off to ask them, but that was going to be my plan. They do bulk runs, so it's probably a big ATL-2 or something that would be too big for my house.

E6 is supposed to be pretty easy as long as you use a tempered water bath. The 8x10 sheets would be a pain though unless I got an expert drum or something. I don't shoot any C41 in 8x10 (yet) but I have a lot of 4x5 Portra at home.

What about water disposal? Are you hooked up to county sewers or do you have a septic system? If you have a septic system will it kill off the bacteria? Will it contaminate your property? Will Dr.Pablo be the next Superfund site? Stay tuned...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:44 pm 
Large Format Fomite

I talked to them, their processing equipment takes up a whole room. I'd do much better with a JOBO processor. As for chemical disposal, I'd need to look into the county's regulations on such things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:58 pm 
Das Kapital

On a related note I just found, locally, three full boxes of E100VS readyloads (60 total) for $10 a box (expiry late '07), and they'll work in my polaroid holder just fine (sacrificed one to make sure it was compatible).

Very happy today :)

I've always wanted to use readyloads or quickloads but the cost is so prohibitive ($80 or so for a 20 sheet box).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Nice.

I just got a box of 8x10 Velvia, 50 sheets, just in time for fall colors. I wish I had my 8x10 with me last Tuesday when I drove through Shenandoah National Park at the peak of fall foliage. But I did take about 6 or 7 panos on the Noblex with Velvia 50 and with Provia 400X. I'll get them back on Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:04 pm 
Large Format Fomite

I've found a couple people who have Jobo CPP-2 units. My parents are driving down here from Connecticut for Thanksgiving, I might ask them to pick it up on the way down if I buy one. I'll be pretty self-sufficient if I can just do my own C41 and E6 along with drum scanning. The only thing missing will be the wet darkroom work -- I miss lith printing. Just no good way to set that up in our house for the moment, at least not before we stop bathing Max in the sink that I'd pour my chemicals into.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:07 pm 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

drpablo wrote:
-- I miss lith printing. Just no good way to set that up in our house for the moment, at least not before we stop bathing Max in the sink that I'd pour my chemicals into.

Just tell Max that he has to build up his immunity to these things...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:01 pm 
Film Shooter

drpablo wrote:

Paul, with your experience you should be fine with E-6 processing. The Tetenal E-6 chemistry kit is very forgiving and gives consistent results for me, despite I never meet the changing times for the water in between the chemical bathes... I think, overcoming the reluctance, one automatically has agaionst E-6 DIY, is harder, than actually doing it. And it saves a hell lot of time, compared to driving to the next pro lab (a turn-around travel would need 3 hourse for me, including waiting for the processed film).

regards
René

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:21 pm 
Large Format Fomite

René_P wrote:
Paul, with your experience you should be fine with E-6 processing. The Tetenal E-6 chemistry kit is very forgiving and gives consistent results for me
That's reassuring. I'm working on getting a Jobo processor which should cost around $700 or so and will make it a lot easier, and I could take up C41 (and theoretically RA4) while I'm at it. If I never purchased another sheet or roll of film, I'd still save a ton of money doing my own processing. I have 50 sheets of 8x10 Velvia and 40 of 8x10 Astia -- those alone would cost around $900 to process, not counting all the 4x5 and 120 I've got.

Packard wrote:
Just tell Max that he has to build up his immunity to these things...
I told him. He squealed and said "ya da da da da da da da!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:31 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

When I was in college we had to do our own slide processing at least once (it seemed that once was enough).

To overcome the multiple steps and timing issues I recorded on a cassette recorder the timing and instructions so all I had to do was listen to the commands on the recorder. The tape provided both the instructions (in real time) and the timing so I did not have to look at the clock at any point in the process. You can even put some ABBA songs in the background...

After I did my one-time slide processing that tape made the rounds in our photography class. It worked very well. Perhaps there is a commercial version available nowadays, otherwise I suggest you do the same. It takes the concentration out of the process and lets you relax.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:04 pm 
Nickel Member

Camera: Nikon F/F3/F4, Fuji S2, RB67, Sinar 4x5/8x10
Paul,
if you plan on doing a lot, I'd go for a Wing-Lynch Pro 6 or a thermphot uint (basically the same mechanicals), unless you can find a W-L 5 for cheap to free (and have the room for it). I use my Pro 6 infrequently for C41 and B&W work, sure is nice to process 4 rolls of 120 at a whack. E6 is doable, this machine was set up for it originally (really need to relabel the tanks as well). The advantage of the Pro 6 over others is that it's totally self contained, 5 gal of tempered wash/rinse water, etc. Alll you need is a small Nitrogen tank (or alternately, use the built in air pumps) Mine fits somewhat comfortably in my kitchen, it's less than 30" wide, built a cart for it to sit on (and the waste and bleach reclaim containers to live confortably, as well as all the reels and 3 processing tubes.

We live in a small house and no basement, or the devere 1010 enlarger would be set up as well. For the $150 the processor cost me, it's more than paid for itself @ $12 a roll for processing and proofing, not to mention the 4 hour round trip drive to the nearet lab that still processes 120. (I have access to a Frontier 370 at the studio to print proofs)

Here's a pic of the Pro6:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:26 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Packard wrote:
To overcome the multiple steps and timing issues I recorded on a cassette recorder the timing and instructions so all I had to do was listen to the commands on the recorder. The tape provided both the instructions (in real time) and the timing so I did not have to look at the clock at any point in the process. You can even put some ABBA songs in the background...

Genius.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Keithwms wrote:
Packard wrote:

Genius.

You mean the ABBA songs, eh?

Honey honey, how you thrill me, ah-hah, honey honey
Honey honey, nearly kill me, ah-hah, honey honey
I heard about you before
I wanted to know some more
And now I know what they mean, you're a love machine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:16 am 
Large Format Fomite

Erie, thanks for the recommendation. I'm actually getting a Jobo CPP-2 with lift and a couple drums. I'll certainly get a C41 kit in addition to E6, because the local C41 lab will not do sheet film. I have a lot of 4x5 Portra to go through, and I may be interested in getting some 8x10 Portra 400 and pushing it -- about the only way I can do indoor baby portraits on 8x10.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:26 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

Here is an interesting thread entitled "8" x 10" for baby portraits: am I crazy"?? (Yup.)

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/005UTA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:09 am 
Das Kapital

Anne "makes me throw up in my throat a little" Geddes shoots large format? Weird, never even considered that before (not that I spend much time thinking about Anne Geddes).

Packard wrote:
Here is an interesting thread entitled "8" x 10" for baby portraits: am I crazy"?? (Yup.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am 
Evil Emperor Palpatine

walter23 wrote:
Anne "makes me throw up in my throat a little" Geddes shoots large format? Weird, never even considered that before (not that I spend much time thinking about Anne Geddes).

Packard wrote:

Anne Geddes is a remarkably adept technician; I admire her technical skills, but I really don't find much to admire in her portraits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 am 
Large Format Fomite

Somebody had to do it, and she does it very well. She basically shoots still life photos that happen to have vomitously cute babies in them. She bothers me a whole lot less than all her imitators. And she bothers me a lot less than Thomas Kincaid's paintings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:10 am 
Das Kapital

drpablo wrote:
And she bothers me a lot less than Thomas Kincaid's paintings.

Haha, on about Thomas Kincaid again, eh?

I actually don't think I have a personal analogue of your Thomas Kincaid in the visual arts world (although Fatali might qualify), but I feel kind of similarly about Robin Williams.

ROBIN WILLIAMS IS NOT F***ING FUNNY. HE'S COMPLETELY CREEPY.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:16 am 
Das Kapital

Whoah, you're right. Kincaid has to be stopped. (Although if I was making a modern day version of the King's Quest video games I'd hire him to paint my backgrounds in a heartbeat).

http://images.google.ca/images?q=thomas ... a=N&tab=wi