Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Imagine: Keithloads
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:57 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Yes, Keithloads.

So, I took apart some quickloads and I am pretty convinced that I can make these things myself. First thought was to recover the sheaths & clips from a local processing shop, that'd be the easiest approach. But actually I think I could make 'em from scratch. Why? Well then I could put whatever film I want in there. Imagine delta 400 in a quickload... or tmax 400... tri-x... fp/hp... or simply less expensive standard QL films like velvia or 160s or astia.

The idea is to locate a water-soluble glue that'd hold the film to the insert. Something that won't damage the film at all but also won;t melt off if the film packets see some summer temps. Also, another thought is that it'd be possible to make a paper backing behind the film, perhaps even adhered at the edges to the film, to act as a flattener.

Of course, if I get it to work then I will naturally have to try to make 5x7 and 8x10 Keithloads... Actually, I have some 8x0 polaroid sheaths and they are even simpler than the quickloads.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

Post subject: Re: Imagine: Keithloads
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:44 am 
You need something like this. Holds 12 (9x12cm) shots, any type of film just cut your own, and your camera will never blow away in the wind. This has the 5x7 base for a Graflex RB. I bought it to build a multi-shot pinhole camera which is still a concept camera. But there are multi-shot plastic holders now, so you needn't deal with the weight of this monster.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: 1DsMKII, 5D
Favorite Type: Photo Journalism
Inspiration: People Everywhere
" ... You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one ... "

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:15 pm 
Nickel Member

Camera: Nikon F/F3/F4, Fuji S2, RB67, Sinar 4x5/8x10
Keithwms wrote:
Yes, Keithloads.

So, I took apart some quickloads and I am pretty convinced that I can make these things myself. First thought was to recover the sheaths & clips from a local processing shop, that'd be the easiest approach. But actually I think I could make 'em from scratch. Why? Well then I could put whatever film I want in there. Imagine delta 400 in a quickload... or tmax 400... tri-x... fp/hp... or simply less expensive standard QL films like velvia or 160s or astia.

The idea is to locate a water-soluble glue that'd hold the film to the insert. Something that won't damage the film at all but also won;t melt off if the film packets see some summer temps. Also, another thought is that it'd be possible to make a paper backing behind the film, perhaps even adhered at the edges to the film, to act as a flattener.

Of course, if I get it to work then I will naturally have to try to make 5x7 and 8x10 Keithloads... Actually, I have some 8x0 polaroid sheaths and they are even simpler than the quickloads.

Post-It removable adhesive glue sticks ( I kid you not, Staples has em, though I bought mine at PicNSave in WI when visiting the grandkids) it will hold a 16x20 sheet of film in a film holder easily.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:37 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
DannL wrote:
You need something like this. Holds 12 (9x12cm) shots, any type of film just cut your own, and your camera will never blow away in the wind. This has the 5x7 base for a Graflex RB. I bought it to build a multi-shot pinhole camera which is still a concept camera. But there are multi-shot plastic holders now, so you needn't deal with the weight of this monster.

Oh neat, it's like the missing link between the bag mag and the grafmatic.

I have a bag mag - built a camera around it. I'd like a few grafmatics but they're expensive.

Keith, shooting your loads sounds like a good idea but it also sounds pretty damned labour intensive. If you could build a machine to automate it - just set it up and turn a crank and out pops your load - you might be more likely to shoot your loads on a regular basis.

http://visualfiction.org/

Last edited by walter23 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:38 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: 1DsMKII, 5D
Favorite Type: Photo Journalism
Inspiration: People Everywhere
walter23 wrote:
DannL wrote:

Oh neat, it's like the missing link between the bag mag and the grafmatic.

I have a bag mag - built a camera around it. I'd like a few grafmatics but they're expensive.

Keith, shooting your own loads sounds like a good idea but it also sounds pretty damned labour intensive. If you could build a machine to automate it - just throw a pile of film in and turn a crank and out pops your load - you might be more likely to shoot your loads on a regular basis.

Yeah!!! Like a Cotton Gin...