It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:09 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Zeiss Super Ikonta BX (~1950) - 120 roll film (6x6). Coated f/2.8 Tessar lens!

Rolleiflex Automat III (WWII era - early 40s):

Voigtländer Avus 9x12 plate camera (20s or 30s I think):

Dacora Digna (~1950):

The digna is a really low-end camera, essentially a metal-bodied holga with a glass lens. Ilford (the well-known B&W film & paper company) sold this camera, or a similar one, under the Sporti name. The shutter is stuck (but can be fixed with a cleaning). I bought it to convert to pinhole but I'm attached to it now, and it came in its original box. I may have to just fix up the shutter and shoot with it - and find some other $3 junk camera to convert to a pinhole.

All the others have had film through them and produce very nice results (zeiss, rollei, and voigtlander - these all still beat 3/4 of the cameras today in terms of lens quality), all of them are functional but have problems that need to be fixed to be fully operational (rolleiflex leaks light in some circumstances, folders have slow shutters, etc). The voigtlander is my favorite, as it is essentially a 4x5 but about the size of a 35mm DSLR body (no lens) when folded up. Much more portable than my shen hao which travels inside a monster 40lb backpack.

Missing is my 8x10 from around 1916, and its Turner Reich Triple Convertible 12"/21"/28" lens, and a few other miscellaneous things (like a common and crappy old polaroid folding pack-film camera worth about 17 cents).

I'm working on adding a box camera or two, and someday I'd love to have an ULF monster like a 12x20 (will need to get rich first though). I'm sure there are a few other styles I should add at some point. A really old mid-19th century wooden plate camera with a brass lens would be cool.

http://visualfiction.org/

Last edited by walter23 on Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:32 pm 
I think the Voigtländer you have there is a real gem. Most of these 9x12s don't fare as well, having set in the bottom of someone's closet for 70 plus years. I consider myself very lucky to have found one in equally fine condition. You could watch ebay and all the dealers on the internet for another year and you won't find another that comes close to this condition of this one. Didn't you have a Tojo Bender Tachiharikari 4x5 or something like that in your arsenal at one time?

To add . . . (ebay)

Congratulations Walter! I see you will now have a new member in the family!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:42 pm 
Das Kapital

DannL wrote:
I think the Voigtländer you have there is a real gem. Most of these 9x12s don't fare as well, having set in the bottom of someone's closet for 70 plus years. I consider myself very lucky to have found one in equally fine condition. You could watch ebay and all the dealers on the internet for another year and you won't find another that comes close to this condition of this one. Didn't you have a Tojo Bender Tachiharikari 4x5 or something like that in your arsenal at one time?

I've got a shen hao 4x5 folder which is my primary film camera, but while it's an old-style folder its build date was 2006 :) I also have a 1916 8x10 which unfortunately still doesn't have a bellows.

You're right about the Voigtländer. It's not without signs that it's almost 100 years old, but considering that it's in amazing condition. At the time I bought it, I hadn't really been watching them and I didn't realize how nice it was compared to many that come up. I got it for a relative steal of around $50 or so. I've seen a lot of rusty, dusty, beat up ones sell for the same or more.

Quote:
To add . . . (ebay)

Congratulations Walter! I see you will now have a new member in the family!

Yeah, though it's pretty beat up looking. If I had been rational I would have held off on it and looked for a better condition one, but I had a moment of impulsiveness. I'm not even sure it has the bulb nipple (or else the nipply bit was snapped off). Pictures aren't too good though; it might clean up and restore without too much pain. I'll know in a couple of weeks.

For those not following the saga in the other thread, it's a falling plate box camera. Basically a stack of plate holders sits in the back of the camera, and when you've exposed one you flip a lever or something and the first in the stack falls into a recess in the bottom of the camera, so that the next one in the line can be exposed. According to some of the vintage ads DannL pointed me to, you can make "12 pictures in 12 seconds!". Pretty fast for a sheet film camera. Not that I care about that; digital and rollfilm work fine for that. But in 1890 or so, when this camera was being produced, rapid shooting was a big novelty.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:37 pm 
Das Kapital

BTW, there's a really sweet looking Avus on the bay at a very reasonable price right now.

They don't get much nicer than this:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Voigtlaender-Avus-Fo ... .m20.l1116

An almost-4x5 that fits in your pocket! You just need to buy or cut the film (efke 9x12 is available at freestyle) and find some holders (come up fairly often).