Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drowning in Film
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:56 am 
Volcanic

Camera: Canon 40 D
As some of you know, I work for a large science facility that will remain nameless.

People there asked me if I could help them give away film. I shoot digital and know very little about film, but am a member of the local film club so I told them I would see what I could do. I envisioned a nice box of film. Instead they showed me a huge refrigerator and a big freezer filled with film. Most of this stuff has been stored in the refrigerator and freezer for at least several decades and perhaps longer.

I was able to jot down the following film types:

Kodak Tech Pan Flim Estar TP 135-36
Kodak Tri-Pan Film - 51/2 inchesx20 feet
Eastman Plus X - Negative Film 7231 - 16 mm
Kodak Ektachrome 160 Elite 400 - color slide film
Kodak Super 8 - color movie film
Kodak Ektrachrome 160T Tungsten Color Slides
Kodachrome PKM 135-36 Professional Film
Kodak Elite Chrome - film color slides
Kodak High Speed Infrared HIE 135-36
Kodak T Max 400 135-36
Kodak Ektar PHR 135-36
Kodak Gold 200 Print Film
Kodachrome 25 Professional Color Reversal Film
Ektachrome 64 Professional
Kodak Ektachrome Slide Duplicating Film - Type K
Kodak Plus X Pan 125
Ilford XPI 400 - 50x135 Cassettes

They have on an average 60 rolls or more of each type of film listed above.

Questions

Is this stuff still any good? They tell me it has been refrigerated or frozen since day one.
Does any of the film have value to today's film photographers?
Is there any really special stuff in there that should be saved?
Should I just call Biohazard Management and call it a day?

Post subject: Re: Drowning in Film
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:28 am 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
As mentioned in PM a couple of those have some value.

Tech pan and HIE should both sell for good prices. I'm not sure about tech pan, but HIE *is* prone to damage with long term storage (even when frozen), so I'd expect it to decrease in value if it's more than about 10 years past expiry. But even then you could probably get a bit of money for it because it's no longer made and people will be quite willing to gamble on damage (in fact, in some cases might enjoy playing with the effects). It might be worth up to $30 / roll. Maybe even more! It's discontinued, and has a huge following.

Look at this auction:

$150 and counting for 3 rolls of the stuff (unexpired)!

And this: 11 rolls expired 2004 sold for $400!

Now if selling film seems like too much hassle feel free to ship all the HIE to me and I'll, uhh, dispose of it for you (I would actually love to have the chance to use some of it, forget selling it!) ;)

More seriously I'd happily take that 20' roll of Tri Pan off your hands if you can't find any better way of disposing of it. Would love to cut it up to feed my various weird LF cameras :) Honestly have no idea if it has any value, but it doesn't stick out to me as one of the more special films (like HIE & tech pan).

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:27 pm 
Film Shooter

I try to make an assessment here, though my opinion might not be very representative...

Kodak Tech Pan Flim Estar TP 135-36 - has good resale value. If frozen properly, it will keep for a long time
Kodak Tri-Pan Film - 51/2 inchesx20 feet - seems to be some film for aerography or another automated image recorder. Not what many people look for
Eastman Plus X - Negative Film 7231 - 16 mm - ancient, nice film, but basically really obsolete in this format (it is not easy to find a lab for processing nowadays)
Kodak Ektachrome 160 Elite 400 - color slide film - commodity stuff, sure some poeple people would buy it for a moderate price
Kodak Super 8 - color movie film - probably dead, if not, the resale value is very low
Kodak Ektrachrome 160T Tungsten Color Slides - don't think, many people would want that
Kodachrome PKM 135-36 Professional Film - the problem here is not the film, but the hard to obtain porcessing today
Kodak Elite Chrome - film color slides - commodity film, somebody will buy it as moderate price
Kodak High Speed Infrared HIE 135-36 - if Walthers numbers reflect the current market value it is a better investment than most stock
Kodak T Max 400 135-36 - commodity film, somebody will buy it for moderate price
Kodak Ektar PHR 135-36 - not sure about that...
Kodak Gold 200 Print Film - commodity film, somebody will buy it for low price
Kodachrome 25 Professional Color Reversal Film - same as PKM, processing is the problem
Ektachrome 64 Professional - the Kodak Professional films don't survive longterm storage well, so the resale value will be low
Kodak Ektachrome Slide Duplicating Film - Type K - I think, somebody might buy that for obscure reasons at a moderate price
Kodak Plus X Pan 125 - should sell well (I would be interested...)
Ilford XPI 400 - 50x135 Cassettes - should sell well

They have on an average 60 rolls or more of each type of film listed above.

Pelewatcher wrote:
Questions

Is this stuff still any good? They tell me it has been refrigerated or frozen since day one.
Does any of the film have value to today's film photographers?
Is there any really special stuff in there that should be saved?
Should I just call Biohazard Management and call it a day?

Basically most of this material should still beuseable. But that does not necessarily mean, people will jump at it. The Kodak HIE and the Technical Pan could raise some considerable money, the others are more or less film for the surviving enthusiasts and whether they raise a larger amount of money probably varies by sheer luck.

regards
René

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm 
Large Format Fomite

Camera: Canon 7D, 8x10 and 4x5 view cameras, Hasselblad, Noblex
Lens: Zeiss, Schneider, Noblar, Canon
Favorite Type: Landscape, Cityscape, Architecture
Inspiration: Van Gogh
You're not going to get much for anything in 135 format. The Tech Pan and the HIE are the most sought after. The other one that REAL aficionados will go for is the Kodachrome 25, but getting that stuff processed is very difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:34 am 
Volcanic

Camera: Canon 40 D
For those that expressed an interest in acquiring some of that film, stay tuned. I will let you know if I am able to send some your way.