John

Challenge 141 - Artistic
TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 am 
A product shot plus basic introduction for you gear lovers.

The Kodak Tourist was manufactured by Kodak between 1948 and 1951 with an original price of $95.00. By the end of 1951 they were selling for about $48.00, as the Tourist II was entering the market. The camera uses 620 film for a 6x9cm frame size, 8 pictures per roll. I simply reroll 120 film onto 620 film spools to make that work. These Kodak Tourists show up on eBay quite often with varying lens configurations, but not often in immaculate condition. I was pleased to find this one on ebay with the orignal box and manual, and then to seize it for only $19.00 w/free shipping on a buy-it-now. I thought that was a perty good deal.

The back on this camera is neat. If you open the latch on the left side, it stays hinged on the right. If you open the latch on the right side, it stays hinged on the left. If you open the latches on both sides, the back comes completely off.

The empty 620 film spools for these cameras can fetch quite a high price. I saw four empty spools sell for as much as $26, and ten sold recently for over $70.00. Save your empty 620 spools, they're very valuable.

Last edited by X. Phot. on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 am 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
Certainly is a pretty camera, even if the plastic top and exposure slider on the back give it a slightly cheesy look.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 am 
walter23 wrote:
Certainly is a pretty camera, even if the plastic top and exposure slider on the back give it a slightly cheesy look.

I think Kodak wanted to get away from the Pre-WWII look of their original folders. They also had that Kodak Pony 135, that had the same grey plastic top.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am 
The Lone Rangefinder

Ooh I want one!

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:47 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Nikon F5, N90s, D700, Rollei TLR, Linhof Tech IV, Blad and on and on
Lens: To many to mention, I'm an addict, what can I say.
Favorite Type: landscape and small stuff
Inspiration: Edward Weston and a good single malt scotch
I've got one just like it in similar condition. Also have the original case for it as well. Very sharp lens.

I don't have a beard, I don't play the piano, I have no hope as a photographer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:43 pm 
Eric Rose wrote:
I've got one just like it in similar condition. Also have the original case for it as well. Very sharp lens.

I'm just now discovering that this camera might do a fine job. The first roll through was a big disappointment, though. The exposures were excellent, but seven of the eight frames had a very strange blurred look. It almost looked like motion blur. On the second roll I purposefully placed my left hand fingers on the strut while also touching the outside of the shutter housing on several exposures. And of course a tripod on several. The finger support at the end where the lens is located really helped with the sharpness. My guess is that the way the shutter release button is positioned on the bed, as it gives way at the end of the release, it's causes just enough motion in the camera body to add blur to the exposure. Just like a lever. A small vibration at the back of the camera equates to a huge movement way out there where the lens is located.

Keith said he really really wants one of these. So, you can sell him your's, Eric. I'm keeping mine for just a while longer. :lol:

Last edited by X. Phot. on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:50 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

:roll: just what I need, another camera.

I just got a 4x10 shen with 5x7 adapter back 8)

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:55 pm 
Keithwms wrote:
:roll: just what I need, another camera.

I just got a 4x10 shen with 5x7 adapter back 8)

Yep, that's what happens when you hang with this bunch. And just think, when I get tired of my "Tourist" . . . you're gonna have a pair.

You know if you have a new camera, you'll have to start a new "Up Close and Personal" thread.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

I haven't consumated the relationship yet, but I plan to do that very soon. Lens is attached, film is loaded... just need some light and inspiration.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery