All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ... and a new family!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:10 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
I was going to put up a proper white background and shoot these from a better angle but my flash batteries died after this test shot.

Miniature 127 roll film folders. These cameras are *tiny*; wallet sized or thereabouts. They're called Vest Pocket cameras for a reason.

Left to right: Contessa Nettel Piccoletta (Contessa later merged with Zeiss Ikon), Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic Model B, and Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic. You can still buy film for these, and once I get some in I'm going to take the Contessa for a spin. I've also got another Kodak Vest Pocket Autographic (different model with a higher quality lens) on its way.

The middle one (VPK model B) is non-functional. Someone gummed up the shutter with oil and rather than bother fixing it I tore it apart to pull out the lens which is now mounted in an old manual focus barrel for use as a soft focus lens on my DSLR. I glued the shutter plate and levers back in place for cosmetic reasons, but it's just a display model now. Even the bellows had to be cut loose and is now just reattached with contact cement.

The paint loss on the VPK at far right was my fault; I had originally taped an extension tube to this camera to use its lens for soft focus madness, and when I got the VPK B in and removed its lens I decided to return this original VPK to its native condition... alas the tape yanked off the paint. Could be refinished but I'm going to use this camera (and/or keep it stuffed away in a drawer) rather than display it, so no big deal.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:13 pm 
That is a very nice family you've started, Walter. Have you scratched "666" on them, yet? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:15 pm 
Das Kapital

DannL wrote:
That is a very nice family you've started, Walter. Have you scratched "666" on them, yet? :lol:

My fascination with the demonic doesn't extend to antique cameras (though I suppose my interest in them might be an offshoot of the fascination with history-obsessed demonic goth chicks that I enjoyed in my youth). The Piccolette would have been a great prop at the goth club... as it stands my success with cute goth girls was limited to only one - the one I married ;).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:53 am 
Nickel Member

Camera: Canon AE-1P, EOS ELAN 7N, EOS 5D
Lens: Canon EF 28-105mm f4-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 USM II, EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM
Favorite Type: All but prefer Landscape
Inspiration: Ansel Adams
Honestly, I have to admit that I have been following this part of the forum with a new zest for photography. I still have not purchased any "collectables", however, I find that collecting older cameras will give me something to do. I guess it's the thrill of the hunt for them and I have already found some that I am thinking of purchasing. I was truly suprised at the number of them that are available for reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm 
The Lone Rangefinder

It's funny, when people, esp. students see my camera collection, they are always more interested in the oldie wooden folders and such from the early 1900s. There is something very attractive about a camera that can be completely understood at a glance! And there is something so lovely and clever about those old designs. When I actually go out and shoot with these things, or a crown graphic or such, I really have to ask myself what is so great about the really pricey new technologies.

Sometimes I think the new black boxes just place more distance between myself and the subject. Perhaps I am becoming Amish.

keithwilliamsphoto.net
My APUG Gallery

"The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people." -Randy Pausch, October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:16 am 
Nickel Member

Camera: Canon AE-1P, EOS ELAN 7N, EOS 5D
Lens: Canon EF 28-105mm f4-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f1.8 USM II, EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8L USM
Favorite Type: All but prefer Landscape
Inspiration: Ansel Adams
Keithwms wrote:
I really have to ask myself what is so great about the really pricey new technologies.

Sometimes I think the new black boxes just place more distance between myself and the subject. Perhaps I am becoming Amish.

Amish!

I just remember all the thinking and planning I had to do before I took a picture when I had my Mamiya C330 some 40+ years ago. I sold that camera to buy a Minolta SRT201. I never realized that I would miss that TLR as much as I do now!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:37 pm 
Das Kapital

pwieczkowski wrote:
Keithwms wrote:
I really have to ask myself what is so great about the really pricey new technologies.

Amish!

I just remember all the thinking and planning I had to do before I took a picture when I had my Mamiya C330 some 40+ years ago. I sold that camera to buy a Minolta SRT201. I never realized that I would miss that TLR as much as I do now!

C330s can be had for very little money these days ;)