John
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 am 
Kodak Reference Archive Media (16mm)
Minolta 110 SLR camera
D76/7.5 min.
scanned/adjusted

Last edited by X. Phot. on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:07 pm 
Below is the basic specifications for this film. The spectral sensitivity curve is a bit strange for this emulsion, most likely a result of the filter and light used. The 500 year life expectancy is cool.

http://www.graphics.kodak.com/docimagin ... s/D-35.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:57 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Nice to see you around again DannL.

The technical aspects of film go over my head now.

I do like the second image the contrast of the snow against the man made bricks and post is interesting. Love the tones of the print.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 pm 
ScottHadl wrote:
Nice to see you around again DannL.

The technical aspects of film go over my head now.

I do like the second image the contrast of the snow against the man made bricks and post is interesting. Love the tones of the print.

Thanks. I'm glad to still be around. Hopefully I will participate more. That should be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:24 am 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
OK to edit my images: Yes
That, from a 110 camera, is pretty impressive.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:59 am 
walter23 wrote:
That, from a 110 camera, is pretty impressive.

Hey Walter. I had been rolling my own 16mm Minolta cartridges since last summer, and then found this Minolta 110 SLR camera for $4.99 in a thrift store. I had never seen one, and immediately imagined reloading 110 cartridges. 110 film is really 16mm film with special perforations. Rolling the film with backing paper is an interesting feat. With some re-engineering I managed to defeat a feature in the camera and now it shoots this archive film which has no perforations. I invested in a quantity of 100' rolls of film. It costs about 22 cents to reload one time, and that gives about 16 exposures. I like those prices. The grain is really small. The specs say that it resolves 200-630 lines/mm. I think I could squeeze more from the film with a camera that has a better lens. Focus on this camera is a bear. But, I would want a camera that has exposure adjustments like this Minolta.

Another sample/example.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
I hadn't spotted this was from 110 film! Wow.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 am 
Das Kapital

There's a pentax 110 SLR system too. Some of the weirdo collectors* pay too much for it, but you can still find it relatively inexpensively if you keep an eye out.

(*weirdo collector in this context means someone willing to pay way too much money for something just because they want to have it in their cabinet; I think you're a different kind of weirdo collector).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:30 am 
walter23 wrote:
There's a pentax 110 SLR system too. Some of the weirdo collectors* pay too much for it, but you can still find it relatively inexpensively if you keep an eye out.

(*weirdo collector in this context means someone willing to pay way too much money for something just because they want to have it in their cabinet; I think you're a different kind of weirdo collector).

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap one. It's gotta be cheap, because my re-engineering will render the camera unsellable. And then being a full automatic camera, I doubt very much if the camera will work well with this archive film. I suppose I could go back to splitting 120 film as needed, but that's a more expensive route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 pm 
I forgot to mention that I have this compulsive disorder that causes me to buy cameras upon the slightest suggestion. Last night I felt very weak. I just couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:37 am 
Well, call me a weirdo cuz the Pentax arrived today. It may work after all. I think this Archive film is close to ASA 80, and the sensor in the camera should adjust for that with the correct cartridge installed. We'll see. Testing now in progress . . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:29 pm 
Das Kapital

DannL wrote:
Well, call me a weirdo cuz the Pentax arrived today. It may work after all. I think this Archive film is close to ASA 80, and the sensor in the camera should adjust for that with the correct cartridge installed. We'll see. Testing now in progress . . . . .

You're a chronic tinkerer! What will you do when you run out of novel cameras to experiment with? ;)

I'll say it again; I'm pretty amazed you're getting these kinds of results out of a 110 camera. I remember playing with them as a kid using consumer film, and I remember nothing but grain out of those tiny little rectangles of film.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 pm 
walter23 wrote:
You're a chronic tinkerer! What will you do when you run out of novel cameras to experiment with? ;)

I'll say it again; I'm pretty amazed you're getting these kinds of results out of a 110 camera. I remember playing with them as a kid using consumer film, and I remember nothing but grain out of those tiny little rectangles of film.

I've never been overly impressed with my own photography. Film cameras and traditional processing (the process of doing it at least once) is a great outlet. It's cheaper than buying a boat, or vintage automobile to work on, and the avenues for experimentation in film are endless. That's were I find the enjoyment. I'll squeeze what I can from the 110 cameras until I'm bored, and then I move on another project. That is, unless I find a 110 or 16mm camera/film combo that outperforms my other cameras. I can see already that the size and focusing on this Pentax beats everything I've tried yet (in 110 cameras). This camera has the split screen focusing area where the Minolta doesn't.

The grain you recall probably comes from shooting ASA 400, which I think was the speed most used. I bought three Kodak 110 film cartridges about three weeks ago at a local supermarket (food store). I think that's about the only place you will find it still being sold. All they had was Kodak ASA 400.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:38 am 
Well, the film still seems to perform generally in the Pentax. Here are several tweaked scans from negatives. I won't know anything until I have had a chance to print from a negative and see the results on actual paper.

The Pentax Auto 110 is another story. When a camera is made this small there's bound to be a heap of problems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:36 am 
Race Addict

Look like some nice shots, using the beastie well.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the camera though; what sort of issues?

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:26 pm 
eftpotrm wrote:
Look like some nice shots, using the beastie well.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the camera though; what sort of issues?

The first thing I noticed after developing is that the frames on the negative are askew. A bit bothersome. The biggy though, is that the normal lens (24mm) doesn't cover the entire frame. There is vignetting and distortion clearly visible in all four corners of the image area for each frame of the negative. This really makes me wonder. And there are also internal reflections within the camara that show along the edges of the frame.

Here's and uncropped example. The edge of the negative is visible across the bottom of this image. The reflections follow along the edge of the frame (top, right, and left). Vignetting is obvious. Distortion is slightly visible in this frame in the top left. The cockeyed frame is also obvious. I wonder if Toyota was involved in making this camera? :lol: But seriously, even with these flaws the camera is fun to use. That's probably why weirdo collectors are buying them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:30 pm 
Race Addict

Oh, that's disappointing isn't it? Oh well. Glad you're enjoying it at least :-)

Greg
Flickr Gallery