All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best film to start with
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 pm 
aka TomTucketPhoto

Camera: One that goes click
Lens: The really long one that makes up for other short things in my life :(
Favorite Type: Fashion, Portrait, Editorial
Inspiration: complete ego!
So I was wondering what you think the best 120 film for a beginner like me. Tri-X seems to be popular right now and as I understand it, Tri-X is a negative filme so it is easier on the exposure then a slide film....do I got that right?

Really, I don't know what the difference between Negative and Slide film really is. I read that slide file was traditional more used in commercial and studio work were the photographer had more control and negative was big in the portraiture, wedding fields because it was suppose to produce better skin tones and has a higher D-Range so you could be off with your exposure and still rescue in the lab...There was also something about there was different ways to expose the two but I can't remember.

I was looking for Tri-X and also found TMax.....what is the difference there?

Man, I hope I don't push out any need knowledge trying to push in new info about film :?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 pm 
Back in the 70's and early 80's I would buy slide film for the sole purpose of projection on the silver screen. I gave my projectors away years ago, so I can't see shooting chromes again. Kodachrome and Ektachome was good stuff. I really have no clue what slide film is available today.

Negative films of course (b/w and color) create a negative, and from that negative multiple positives (prints) can be made. Each film will have it's own look, and feel. For B/W I do like Ilford Delta 100, but not exclusively. When buying film my advice is . . . "you get what you pay for". Price is generally a good indicator of quality.

I've purchased film through ebay, and locally through a supplier in town. But, I prefer to purchase fresh film through Freestyle Photographic Supply http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

I can only suggest googling a film by it's name. Surely there will be numerous postings on the web of examples of photographs made from those specific films.

Will you be developing your own film right from the start?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:13 pm 
aka TomTucketPhoto

Camera: One that goes click
Lens: The really long one that makes up for other short things in my life :(
Favorite Type: Fashion, Portrait, Editorial
Inspiration: complete ego!
Just picked up 5 rools of Fuji Neopan 400. Heard it was good and I like what I see from a Google image search