John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:51 pm 
Sith Lord

Camera: D7000 and Minolta SR102T
Lens: Nikon 50mm and Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro and Landscape
Inspiration: Sam Abell - for the longing of photos I have not yet taken.
OK to edit my images: Yes
I was a little shocked when I saw the file sizes. 20 MB raw files. :shock:

I was disappointed at first with the image quality as it looked a little soft and strange at 100%, but then realized I had the 50mm on and it was at f/1.8. This lens is not the best quality when it's below f/4, so I looked for one I had shot at f/8 and was relieved to see it nice and sharp.

Also. It came brand new in the box, with dust on the sensor. Luckily it has the nifty auto sensor cleaning and it fixed it right up.

I tried the flash commander mode and am extremely happy with that. Works great!

With the Sandisk Extreme Pro sd card (45 MB/s) I can snap off 10 shots at 6 FPS before the buffer is filled and it slows down. I'm extremely happy with that. The D50 was 2.5 fps and would cap it's buffer after 5 shots, usually.

I can access every single setting without hitting the menu button. That's really nice! It's very intuitive too. I haven't found myself trying to look at the camera to find out where the buttons for the settings are.

The metering seems to be pretty good. I didn't get overexposed shots like some people say you do. They might have the Active D-lighting turned on though. I had it on for one shot and didn't really like what it did in that situation.

I love being able to lock the focus point so it doesn't get moved around accidentally. I would do that on the D50 once in a while.

DOF preview is neat, but I can't really see that well since it's not a hugely bright view finder. My 35mm Minolta's viewfinder was bright enough for DOF Preview to work well. Here, not so much.

The zoom in the preview mode looks to go about 400%. I think the D50 was 100% max. This will be useful for me.

Anyway. Here are some test shots from today.

Coworker with his D7000 and 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

Quick HDR. I haven't purchased Photomatix yet simply because I could never get any results that were worth a damn with the D50. I think the resolution wasn't enough to make it work nicely. This works a lot better and gives a lot more dynamic range it seems. It is a native 14-bit image, so that might help too.

My lovely wife snickering at me because I was still being a kid at christmas when I got home.

And the dog wondering what I was doing. This was taken at f/8 and it was much clearer up close.

The last two shots were also taken with the flash off camera. Works really well.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm 
aka discofish

Godda love new toys. Nice to hear you're getting on with the new camera. From my understanding, you can also shoot at ridiculously high ISOs with little noise. Hope your wife doesn't mind being neglected for a while :)

...and my website

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 pm 
Sith Lord

Yea, she was already complaining. :lol:

I messed with the iso tonight. I'm pretty sure I can print an 8x10 at 3200 and be happy with the results. Its that good.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:23 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
Looking good! Love that smirk on your wife's face, BTW. Priceless.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:29 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
BTW, if you like the commander mode as well as I do, you're gonna love it. I just moved to a pocket wizard system myself, but the commander mode did 95% of everything I wanted to do.

No surprise you are thrilled with the ease of the various controls. Not familiar with the D50, but one of the things I like about my Nikons is being able to change most of the important stuff by feel, without eyes leaving the finder.

I think you made a great choice.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 am 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
Sounds like a very worthwhile step-up from the D50. I have a D300 so it may not be so clear-cut for me. I have an on-going shoulder problem and find the D300 a little heavy sometimes and slightly awkward to use in portrait orientation. The D7000 is a bit lighter and a bit smaller which might be beneficial. One question Aaron: is it easy to change ISO on a shot-by-shot basis? The D300 has a dedicated button (hold the button down and rotate the rear command dial) which is very easy to use. I haven't yet found how you do it on the D7000 in the reviews I've read. Thanks for posting the sample pics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:34 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
Aaron, congratulations on your "new baby." I enjoyed viewing the various series of shots, especially your wife and dog which brought big smiles to my face.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Nikon d5000
Lens: kit:18-55, 55-200
Favorite Type: landscape, animals
Inspiration: too many to name
congrats on the new baby! it's fun isn't it? :)

great shots and keep on posting- just remember to kiss your wife every now and then, she's a jewel. :D

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:40 am 
Sith Lord

PaulT wrote:
Sounds like a very worthwhile step-up from the D50. I have a D300 so it may not be so clear-cut for me. I have an on-going shoulder problem and find the D300 a little heavy sometimes and slightly awkward to use in portrait orientation. The D7000 is a bit lighter and a bit smaller which might be beneficial. One question Aaron: is it easy to change ISO on a shot-by-shot basis? The D300 has a dedicated button (hold the button down and rotate the rear command dial) which is very easy to use. I haven't yet found how you do it on the D7000 in the reviews I've read. Thanks for posting the sample pics.

On the back of the camera next to the lcd there is a button you press and rotate the rear wheel. I'm not sure where it is on the d300 but its the same position as the d50 so it is no different for me. Since I know where it is, its intuitive for me.

*edit: here is a breakdown of all the controls. Just ignore some of his comments. *snicker*
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000/ ... ntrols.htm

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:07 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
I never use my DOF preview. I would need my reading glasses to make the function worthwhile. :lol:

We need to get out some upcoming weekend and put the new camera through some trial & errors!

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:23 am 
Sith Lord

Definitely Phil! I'm excited to get out more with it.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:27 am 
Still hanging around

Thanks for the info on changing the ISO. That sounds fine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:10 pm 
Sith Lord

ISO 6400 at night. It was really dark out. This is a TON lighter than it was in reality that night.

100% crop (I think anyway lol)

ISO 6400
1/40th
f/1.8
50mm lens

It is pretty noisy, but I am pretty sure I could print this as a 4x6 and have a really happy memory of this night fishing getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and catching no fish. Heck, I might even get a 8x10 out of it the more I look at it.

Also, this is what my ISO 800 looks like on the D50. No joke.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:18 am 
Sith Lord

PaulT wrote:

Yay, I'm reviving a almost year old post. I had to though, I found out something yesterday in regards to this.

If you change the setting in the Shooting menu that selects Show ISO/Easy ISO, it will replace the shots remaining indicator with the current iso. Then if you are in aperture or shutter priority, you can use the other wheel to change the iso on the fly. So if you are in shutter priority and you use the front wheel, it will change the iso. If you are in aperture priority, you can use the rear wheel to change the iso. Since those two modes are the ones I use most, this turned out to be a REALLY handy feature.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm 
Still hanging around

Aaron wrote:
PaulT wrote:

Yay, I'm reviving a almost year old post. I had to though, I found out something yesterday in regards to this.

If you change the setting in the Shooting menu that selects Show ISO/Easy ISO, it will replace the shots remaining indicator with the current iso. Then if you are in aperture or shutter priority, you can use the other wheel to change the iso on the fly. So if you are in shutter priority and you use the front wheel, it will change the iso. If you are in aperture priority, you can use the rear wheel to change the iso. Since those two modes are the ones I use most, this turned out to be a REALLY handy feature.

Thanks for the update Aaron. If I wasn't stuck in my photography slump I would probably buy a D7000, but it's hard to justify at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:32 pm 
Sith Lord

I hear that. I am successfully out of mine. I've got something line up every day for the next 2 weeks. Good times. :)

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
The amazing thing about the current generation of DSLRs is how they can shoot at ridiculous ISO like 6400 while having about the noise of a 200 ISO film.

I don't really get very excited about new DSLR models these days (partly because I have a fairly current one which satisfies me)... but it is fun to get a new toy.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:12 pm 
Sith Lord

For some people, the high iso thing is pretty important. It's starting to become more important to me now that I need to shoot more in low light without a flash.

You should see what the D800 produces at ISO 6400. I don't think I would push the D7000 much past the 1600 mark, but I could if I needed to. All I would need is noise ninja and I could probably print it. Not huge, but it's printable for a memory. The only thing I get excited about now is the ISO and color sensitivities. As far as function go, they all seem to be about the same, with the exception of buffering and frames per second, but even those are starting to get closer together.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 am 
Sith Lord

Aaron wrote:
I don't think I would push the D7000 much past the 1600 mark, but I could if I needed to.

I keep coming back to this because now I realize what I said was absolutely wrong. I'm shooting at 3200 and 6400 constantly now and I can get 8x10s out of it. It's amazing what you can do when you actually expose your pictures correctly. :?

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:50 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
You can get decent 8x10 prints with the higher ISO but there will be the occasional image that just won't look good enough. It'll be from a shadow or dark clothing but it'll nag the heck out of you.

I don't use my "rapid fire" mode much but after running the new 70-200L through the paces this week I think I have a lens that can keep up with the 7D's auto tracking

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/