All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 am 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
OK to edit my images: Yes
I decided last week I needed a new-gadget "fix", so I bought myself a Samsung LS24A300 24" TFT monitor. I have two Samsung LCD televisions which I like very much, so I assumed a Samsung PC monitor would be equally good. I work in IT and have handled Samsung monitors for many years, going back to those huge SyncMaster CRTs we used to lug about.

Well, to cut a long story short, after many hours fiddling with every setting I could find, I could not get the image quality I was after from the Samsung. It was an unusual shortcoming; images looked rather cool (almost blue-ish) even when I adjusted the RGB levels manually and pushed the red up. I ended up with a noticeabley pink greyscale and yet somehow reds and yellows still looked slightly cool and de-saturated. The monitor was fine in all other respects but I just wasn't happy with it, so I will pass it on to a less demanding customer - I got it through my work, so I can easily find another home for it.

In its place I have just acquired an Iiyama ProLite PLE2473HDS. It looked better straight out of the box - proper reds and yellows and a nice neutral greyscale on my test page (http://www.pwtphoto.com/greyscale.htm). I haven't finished fine-tuning it yet, but early impressions are good and I would certainly recommend it - or at the very least suggest it as an alternative to the Samsung model mentioned above. Bear in mind these are both fairly low-end budget monitors, but that's all I can afford.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:43 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
Hi Paul,

Interesting post, to me. I bought what I thought was a very nice Samsung display about 3 years ago, calibrated it with my then Spyder 2, and proceeded to use the computer it's attached to for Quicken, the occasional odd or end, and background music in my office since then. :)

Two weeks ago set out to calibrate it and begin using it finally for some photo-editing, and initial results with my I1Display2 is that it is un-calibrate-able. I have a Display Pro on order anyway, which I understand includes a monitor test to check if a particular display is even usable, and I fully expect the answer will be no. Holding off on a new one for now, but will likely go in similar direction as you.

Glad to hear the new monitor seems to be working for you. Also, though sorry to hear of your trouble with the Samsung, I appreciate your post as it suggests I'm not totally crazy in my own assessment of my Samsung. So thank you.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 pm 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
Interesting to hear about your troubles with the Samsung Greg. As I said, I've always regarded them highly and I have two of their TVs which are just great. There are so many makes and models of monitors these days it's hard to know what to pick. It's rare to see a bad modern display and for "normal" usage almost anything is going to be fine. It's only when you start looking critically at them for photography purposes that the small defects become apparent. I've had a few more hours playing with my new Iiyama (I only got it earlier today) and I'm still impressed by it. I should add that I don't have a calibrator (I know I should!) so can't comment on it's calibrator "compatibility".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:47 pm 
Gold Member

Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
Just for the record, I am not tossing stones at Samsung either. I am a big fan of their TV's too. Perhaps they have newer or better (computer display) models that are better for photo-editing, or you and I both happened upon bad ones for that purpose.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
Hijacking..... Only Samsung monitor I've had was at my old work, it was nice enough... No idea who made the panels in my various laptops.

But, you mentioned calibratability (ahem!). I've got a new HP 17" laptop, running W7, calibrating with the basic Pantone Huey. And every time the screen resets for some reason or another - screensaver, reboot, just loading Paint Shop Pro (I use an old version that only supports basic mode display without the transparent borders etc), Huey swears blind the screen is calibrated but it's switched to the default, too red profile and I have to manually re-select the profile to get proper colour again.

This even seems to be news to Pantone, who retweeted my request for help! Anyone else know a solution, short of buying a different calibrator?

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:42 pm 
Gold Member

Greg,

I had this problem one laptop ago, on a Thinkpad running XP. At the time I was using a Spyder v1, I believe. I had heard conflicting stories, one was that it had to do with the way XP handled the color LUT, the other being it was a problem with the Spyder software (at that time). For me, the problem went away with a Win7 laptop using the same Spyder.

Not throwing stones here, but in the past HP had a reputation of using propriety software that sometimes worked in unconventional ways. I had always suspected, but never confirmed same about my previous Thinkpad. Because this is happening after return from screen save (same as mine used to), I'd wonder if it has something to do with the way the HP is reverting back from screen save.

Though I cannot solve your problem, I can empathize. This problem drove me batty for almost two years. Certainly you are using the latest driver for your Huey, but thought I'd mention it anyway. You've made sure there isn't a rogue Adobe gamma somehow loading in your startup?

Other (OP) Issue:

Wish to correct my stone throwing at the Samsung Sycmaster T260. After after upgrading to the i1Display Pro (from the display 2), the monitor seems to calibrate brilliantly, which makes absolutely no sense to me but has saved me the cost of a new monitor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 pm 
A Strobist

Camera: D300, Hasselblad, FM2
Lens: Lots.
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Nachtwey
You'll most likely find a lot of Samsungs "digital trickery" is to blame. For the issues with calibration. Samsung can be very 'active' monitors in that they are constantly adjusting themselves to try and represent the best possible image (in the visual sense for your average user just watching movies or such)
I discussed this with the Samsung rep at the store I used to work at, mostly about why they haven't really gone to IPS panels. He basically told me because they have worked so hard on all their technology in the TN panels, IPS wasn't really necessary.

I use two (fairly cheap) LG panels and besides one having a slight uneveness of tone in a single corner. They have been perfect.