It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lightcafe's Future
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm 
Sith Lord

Camera: D7000 and Minolta SR102T
Lens: Nikon 50mm and Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro and Landscape
Inspiration: Sam Abell - for the longing of photos I have not yet taken.
OK to edit my images: Yes
I'm creating this topic to start a discussion with those of you who are left on what to do with good ole Lightcafe. No, I'm not going to shut down the forum. It costs me nothing to keep hosting this site, other than the domain name, and that amounts to about $10 a year. I have a few other sites on this hosting account, so there would be no reason for me to cancel the account. Lightcafe will live on regardless...

First off, I have not been around. I explained a little bit in the moderator forum, but the heart of it is, I had a major personal life crisis that completely changed the priorities in my life. I am no longer a part time photographer. I've quit all the sports teams I've been working with and cancelled all future portrait shoots. I.E. Photography just took a major back seat to God, my wife, and my kids. It will now forever just be a hobby, which is probably what I should have left it as from the start.

Anyway, onto the main topic of conversation...

Looking at statistics of the past, we have been on a continual decline for the last few years. We had a surge of activity when a bunch of people came over from another forum, but they too eventually moved on. In discussions with other forum operators (photography, motorcycle, and gaming), it seems this is a trend among a lot of forums. Facebook and Google+ are stealing the thunder, especially in photography. I would imagine that the vast majority of people sharing photos these days do not look for in depth critique. They look for the thumbs up or "great job!" comments that they would get from friends and family.

Mike tried to create a newsletter and we worked behind the scenes to try to make that happen. We were going to give it one last shot, but I didn't come up with the articles in time because of the crisis. I believe he went on a photo trip again, and I have not spoken to him in a while. I looked at the download statistics for the newsletters and it's not encouraging for the amount of work that Mike has to put into it. Frankly, I would rather not put him through that anymore, but it's his call if he wants to try to get another edition out. I've seen his vacation/photo trip pictures and it seems that doing that would be more fun than a newsletter that barely gets 50 downloads in 6 months.

We've tried some social networking/sharing on Facebook but that didn't do much. We could try to get a G+ page set up and share that around, but I really doubt that it would drum up any members. People on Google+ already have a pretty awesome experience for photo sharing. If you haven't tried it, you should, it is pretty awesome.

I'm open to suggestions. At one time I had the thoughts of running some contests with real prizes, but I have no budget for that. I've also considered the idea of having a blog site going and having our members contribute articles. However, in trying to get articles for the newsletter, I'm not sure how easy that will be unless it's just a core group of 2 - 3 people doing that. Burn out would happen quickly and I just don't have the time to write like I used to.

So, fire away with your thoughts.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

Post subject: Re: Lightcafe's Future
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
Thinking ... have many thoughts which I will post later.
Spoiler: my thoughts are somewhat different than Aaron's

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm 
Captures Light

Camera: Canon 5D MKII, AE-1, Sinar Norma 4x5, Mamiya RB67 ProS
Lens: EOS: 50 1.8, 28-75, 75-200 F4L | Mamiya 90 & 127 | 4x5 90, 157, 210
Favorite Type: Portrait and Landscape
Inspiration: Our beautiful planet
few of us still wander here :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:55 am 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
On holiday in Madeira ... only just managed to hack an internet connection ... drinking too much wine today to make sense so more when I get home ... and some snapshots of a beautiful island ...

Paul.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 am 
Pyro Shooter

Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Ok, where to start. Obviously I have drifted away from Light Café. I was checking in for a while, lurking now and then, but for the last few months I haven't even done that. Aaron poked me yesterday about this thread.

I agree that most people today are looking for the quick "nick shot" comments that they can get from Facebook or G+ or Flickr. It's always been that way though. LC was started for the minority of people who were looking for more, and that's what LC used to deliver. Yes, used to.

(From here, it is all my views and my opinions. I'm not naming names or pointing fingers. There are some hard hitting comments below, and while I'm not trying to hurt or insult anybody, I'm not pulling any punches either.)

Over time, the site developed into three types of users: 1) those who actually spent time looking at a photograph and offering a detailed, quality critique of it; 2) those who took just a quick look at the photos and gave a 3 or 4 line superficial critique; 3) and those who posted photos without offering anything to others (and a subset of these are the "nice shot" crowd).

Eventually the people who gave detailed reviews without getting much back grew frustrated and burned out and they left. We have had new users join (and go), but I'm sorry to say, few of the quality and calibre as those who left. We no longer have photographers with the talent of Ciaran, Dr. Pablo, Keith, Todd, Packard, or Belly Babe (just to name a few) who took the time to give useful critiques. In my opinion, the quality of the critiques today is far far below what it used to be. The level of critique on the site today is just not good enough for me to take the time to post my work for review. It's not that I think my work is above everyone else's (it certainly isn't), I just don't remember the last critique I received that was helpful to me improving.

My photography has evolved over the last few years, as I've combined it with my other passion - travel. I've become less of a landscape & architecture photographer and more of a travel photographer. This means that my photography tends to come in bursts rather than a steady stream. I recently returned from 2.5wks in India, and I have over 3500 photos to sift through. Processing those photos doesn't leave me a lot of time to post to forums if I don't think I'm going to get something useful out of it. And once I do get through those photos, my head has moved on to planning for the next trip (possibly Burma!).

I'd like to see Light Café pick up again, and thrive. We've tried various things to try and keep our users engaged. A few of us put a lot of effort into producing 3 newsletters, but frankly the feedback we received for our work was pretty much non-existant. I'm not inclined to produce another one (even though I have two trip reports I could easily write right now (Paris and India)).

The users who leave complain of a lack of participation and feedback. Well guess what? That is up to the users, not the admins. For users to receive feedback, other users have to offer feedback. That's not happening. With just a few exceptions, most users want to post their images and get the feedback, but don't want to make the time and effort to reciprocate. As a forum admin, what am I supposed to do about that? It is very much a ME attitude, and I can't fix that.

As Aaron pointed out, the forum doesn't cost any significant amount to operate, which is why we've never asked for membership fees. If there were significant costs involved, I would have suggested we pull the plug a long time ago. But as long as there are some interested members and some level of traffic, there really isn't a strong reason to shut it down.

That's how I see things right now. You can agree with me, you can swear at me, you can call me nasty names. Do whatever this post compeles you to do. But the best thing you can do is tell us what you want from this forum. What do you want it to be. Where do you want it to go. I can't promise that we can do it, but if you don't tell us, we won't even try.

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 am 
Das Kapital

Camera: Canon 60D, Fuji XP20, odd film cameras
Lens: Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55
Inspiration: The stuff out there.
The scene with these forums is kind of interesting; a lot of dying off of smaller ones. The photo forum and that camel place seem really active, as are the big ones like FM and dpreview. And then there's the whole phenomenon of social media which has really taken over in the time that lightcafe (and before that, phototakers - the sort of historical predecessor of this place) have been around. And of course there's reddit.com - the super-everything forum with subreddits for every topic from heavy metal to restoring antique clocks to photography of chicken's feet.

Having said that I don't know what the prospects are for attracting new users. I don't know what niche lightcafe has other than a place where a few of us who have been sort of communicating off and on for years can continue to see familiar usernames. I guess it can continue along in that role - which is not necessarily a bad thing since there is a definite albeit loose community here. Otherwise someone can come up with some brilliant new idea to radically transform the place into something totally different.

Personally, I've been not participating in photo forums much at all and photography has sort of slowed down for me (my hobbies are now working, helping my wife incubate a foetus, and sailing). Been even slower over the last winter because of major personal life events (all good, but time consuming). I still habitually refresh the new-posts page here to see if there's any activity.

http://visualfiction.org/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 am 
A Strobist

Camera: D300, Hasselblad, FM2
Lens: Lots.
Favorite Type: Landscape
Inspiration: Nachtwey
It definitely does seem to be a trend that forums are just dying off slowly.

I visit 4 forums on a regular basis, each used to be extremely busy. Now only 1 gets heavy traffic. One of them even has the exact same kind of thread as this going on it at the moment.

To me this forum was always god because of it's tight group of members. I was getting feedback from people I'd chatted to and respected for years, all the way back from the phototakers days. I can honestly say people from this forum have really bought me up in photography as I first joined those forums when I was about 14.
I think it's because of that I have always felt a really strong loyalty to forums with these people on it, even though most have slowly disappeared over time there are still plenty of familiar names around.

It does seem facebook and things like that are taking over, I still never post any actual photography on there (unless it's a link to flickr, but even flickr is purely used as hosting-not for comments) and the 'nice shot' crowd do drive me crazy. I couldn't even count the number of times I've been directly attacked by a persons friends for giving a 3 line comment on a photo with a mention of something I don't like in it.

My participation has trailed off because I am not shooting as much, between aviation, music and trying to stop my housemate from destroying the house (which is in itself a full time job) I just don't get the time.
Whenever I do post a photo though I do try and be sure to go give proper feedback on at least 5 others (and I will go through and pick photos I actually have something to say about) but I do find I'm a little disappointed when I come back the next day and see 25+ views and 0 comments. What I've noticed though is it seems one person comments, then it snowballs very quickly.

Anyway, as much as I don't spend anywhere near as much time on the forums as I used to- I'd hate to see them go anywhere. It might not be what it used to, but it's still a great site.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm 
Nature Photographer

Camera: Sony α900, Sony α55, Sony α200 IR
Lens: 17-35, 24-105, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-400, 16/2.8, 50/1.7, 100/2.8 macro, 135/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscape, Nature
Inspiration: The natural beauty of the world
OK to edit my images: No
Wow, I just checked and this is my first post in over a year and I haven't posted any photos since 2010. I still regularly take a quick look at the posts to see if any are from names I recognize, but more and more that is not the case.

I don't have anything useful to say other than I agree that the loss of some of the names Mike mentioned (along with some others) really hurt the quality of the comments posted here. That and the fact that I haven't had much time for photography in the last few years are the main reasons I'm not active here anymore. I'd also hate to see the place go, but I think it will be difficult to ever get it back to what it was in the early days.

walter23 wrote:
...helping my wife incubate a foetus...

Hey, congrats!

All comments and criticisms on my photos are appreciated. Don't worry about being too harsh either. You won't offend me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:34 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
I used to post often, and I encouraged others to do the same. Then I watched as many of the people I had invited left, due to lack of responses.

I firmly believe that anyone who posts a shot deserves a response. It doesn't have to be an "atta boy nice shot" but surely all of us can look at an image, pick something to point out, and mention it in a response. This is especially true for new members.

Quote Mike:
" …..who took the time to give useful critiques. In my opinion, the quality of the critiques today is far far below what it used to be…
Everyone you mention except Ciaran was gone from LightCafe before I arrived. And I never had a received critique from him. Still, I have said that if someone wants good critique, this is the place to find it. Al (Meadowlark) has been spot on with his suggestions and critique on my photos, as well as many other Mods and members who still participate regularly on this board and take time to comment and make constructive suggestions.

Quote Mike:
"We have had new users join (and go), but I'm sorry to say, few of the quality and calibre as those who left. "
I'm sorry you feel that way. I don 't know those who left, but I know we have had a lot of high caliber photographers pass through Light Cafe during the time I've been here. Let's face it. Not all members are going to measure up to the standards you mention. Everyone is somewhere on the ladder of photography. We're not all good at critiques, and not everyone is a accomplished photographer.

I agree that we need more responses to posts. I'll continue to do my part, and I encourage others to do the same. Please....it doesn't matter if you are a mod, a regular on the board, or someone who visits occasionally......it doesn't take long to respond to people who have made the effort to post their images on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am 
Gold Member

Mike, I’m sorry you aren’t getting the kind of feedback you want. It is an often heard complaint at many forums, not just here. Here is what I suggest:

It is the original poster’s responsibility to define what he wants from viewers. If he wants constructive feedback, he should set some objectives for the shot and then ask for opinion on whether they were met or how to improve some particular aspect. These should be specific, not generic. Responses may generate opportunity for further discussion. Again it is the OP’s responsibility to guide that discussion and help stimulate response from others. The difference between a lurker and a participant is that the former has not been sufficiently stimulated by the latter.

Everyone except my mother calls me Al.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:34 pm 
Pyro Shooter

I kinda, sorta agree Meadowlark. But at the same time, images should speak for themselves. I don't want to tell the viewer what I was attempting to accomplish, I want the viewer to tell me what they see. If I tell the viewer what I'm looking for, then I'm influencing how they see the photo, and I'll never know if the photo can stand on it's own.

The best critiques I've received, which were all verbal, the first rule was that the photographer is not allowed to speak.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:37 pm 
Pyro Shooter

BTW, I'm still waiting for some feedback on what you, the users, want from this site.
  • new forums
  • delete unwanted forums
  • newsletter
  • different colour scheme
  • different software
  • status quo
  • for us to shutup and leave things alone

Not saying we can do anything you ask, but if you give us your opinions we can try to do some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:13 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
I have been shooting and enjoying the hobby of photography, however I have not had much time to join in here, my favorite photo forum. I have to admit that early on I came for the great feedback that helped me to improve my photography and my photo editing skills. I tried to pay that forward for a long time but was finding little reciprocation. I am still paying forward but in a different way now. I have joined a local group and have taught a few classes in the group and for photographers at my church. I really enjoyed that kind of teaching with instant feedback.

I still drop in here from time to time and enjoy seeing what everyone is up to, I thought I might even post an image or two from this week.

I started a 365 project that is still going strong as a challenge with others here. The work in that project is mostly concepts that don't deserve to be posted here for critique. I don't keep very many of the images even for my library.

I don't think cosmetic changes will do much to energize the forum. I wish I had a good answer it does seem that there is a lot of activity on Google + and I have a couple of groups I follow on facebook with some great interviews and suggestions. The framed show if you want to take a look is pretty good.

I think if we want to keep this alive it comes down to taking time to give some meaningful feedback on the images posted. I have had a few of those good comments over the past few months but most of my images had many views and 0 comments, even after making an effort for a few weeks to provide feedback on all posts with no comments I had hoped that might spur one or two comments.

I hate to see light cafe go the way of phototakers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:16 am 
Silver Member

Camera: Nikon F5, N90s, D700, Rollei TLR, Linhof Tech IV, Blad and on and on
Lens: To many to mention, I'm an addict, what can I say.
Favorite Type: landscape and small stuff
Inspiration: Edward Weston and a good single malt scotch
These days most people are takers, not sharers. Well at least sharing their expertise anyway. Any experience that takes more than 3 seconds or requires any effort on their part is out of the question. It seems about as much as you get from a lot of people is a +1. How sad. It's not just this forum it's everywhere.

For myself I hate bird pictures. Can't stand them. Many here are excellent bird photographs, well exposed, sharp, good composition etc. but I just can't bring myself to comment on them. Just a pet thing with me.

It seems if a forum can't garner enough membership in a relatively short period of time it is doomed.

I enjoy LC but am guilty of not participating very much. Not being able to upload photos directly to LC is a major stumbling block for me. I don't use flickr etc. due to copyright issues and I don't allow hot linking on my photography website so can't link to an image I already have up. It's just to much extra hassle to get an image on LC IMHO. If it was easier then maybe that would spur additional participation. Who knows.

I don't have a beard, I don't play the piano, I have no hope as a photographer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:23 am 
Pyro Shooter

FIle attachments have been enabled (we have unlimited disk space, right Aaron? ;) )

If your images are on a website that allows linking (such as Flickr), please continue to host your images there and use the [img ]...[ /img] tags. Hosting a lot of images on LC will affect the overall performance of the site.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 am 
Silver Member

Camera: Canon 20D, 40D, 5D, G12
Lens: 17-85, 24-105L, 105, 10-20, 150-500
Favorite Type: Anything & Everything
A whole week with no replies or new threads at all. I think the question of Lightcafe's future has been answered. :(

There's no need for turning back.
'Cos all roads lead to where we stand,
And I believe we'll walk them all,
No matter what we may have planned.

Don McClean, http://tinyurl.com/cxnbdj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 am 
Large Format Fomite

Camera: Canon 7D, 8x10 and 4x5 view cameras, Hasselblad, Noblex
Lens: Zeiss, Schneider, Noblar, Canon
Favorite Type: Landscape, Cityscape, Architecture
Inspiration: Van Gogh
Hey guys!

Can't say I've contributed much (i.e. at all) in the last oh 6 years or so, but it's really nice to see familiar names around. Hope this place won't go away.

In contrast to photography-on-the.net, fredmiranda, dpreview, etc, I've always seen smaller forums (like here and like phototakers before it) as "clubs" rather than "sites". That is to say that they're small communities for people with a shared interest, rather than a much bigger environment that's meant to be almost a resource to the world.

I don't know the technicalities of being facebook-based rather than based in forum software, though honestly with time web forums start to look more antequated. On facebook one nice thing is that we can post photos or articles or other interchanges from the group to our timeline -- which in turn would advertise the forum and maybe attract more people. The absolutely kickass name Lightcafe (pat pat) might intrigue people too and get more people to join up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:39 am 
Pyro Shooter

Hi Paul. It's good to hear from you again! I actually thought of you last week, trying to remember if you were still in Boston or if you had moved to one of the Carolinas (yeah, you can guess what may me think of it unfortunately).

I tend to agree about the "club" vs "site". People come to the small forums because they get to know each other. That doesn't always happen on the large boards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am 
Large Format Fomite

Hey Mike,
In North Carolina for 6 years now, on the faculty at Duke. I've got a 5 year old and a 3 year old now, so taking a bajillion pictures, but almost all are pictures of them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:31 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
Paul, I liked your response. Thanks for contributing to this topic. BTW the link to your gallery link is not working!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 pm 
A Strobist

I've actually just realised why I think I forget to check in here often.
In my chrome bookmarks bar, all my frequently visited websites have big colorful icons next to their name. Whereas this forum doesn't, I think that is actually causing me to completely scan over it when I'm looking for a link to click.
Obviously doesn't help get new members or anything, just an observation.

The only issue I would see with being Facebook based is it just becomes another small part of another site. Although having just recently started a page on there and within a week having 150+ followers and 1300 Shares...it certainly does get attention.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 am 
Large Format Fomite

Patrish wrote:
Paul, I liked your response. Thanks for contributing to this topic. BTW the link to your gallery link is not working!

I stopped paying PBase dues a while ago, they must have deleted me!

Yeah, Laz, the advantage of FB is it's free advertising to all of our hundreds of friends (each) when we post. And honestly Facebook in and of itself is a major photo exchange site, so people are very attuned to this. If we post photos to a Lightcafe page and share them on our own news feed -- and also "like" or re-post other people's photos -- then we've got a good chance of getting lots of people to sign up.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:06 am 
Silver Member

I really value this forum and am sorry for not participating more. I am not a big talker IRL and tend to be kind of quiet on forums as well. Facebook may well be a good idea, but I would probably be even less likely to participate there. But I can see how it might help to re-energize things.

Photography is such a time consuming pursuit -- life gets in the way a lot, and I can go for quite a long time without taking a picture or logging in to the forum. Also, effective critique is very difficult. It is a skill in itself, and not all of us have it. I know what to say to improve a term paper, but feel very much in training as far as pinpointing what works and what doesn't in a photo. So it is time consuming to participate, and I often feel that I don't have much more than the obvious to contribute. Still, I think there is something very special about this forum, and I will try to visit and post more often.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:16 am 
A Strobist

It's interesting, I joined an Australian photo forum a while back - it has something like 18,000 members and generally always has at least 100 online. Yet it still only gets around 30 posts a day, and that seems to be about 10 core members just really pushing it. If something so huge is getting so little, it doesn't surprise me that a small community like this one is rather quiet.

It's also made me appreciate this forum more, the other is very much a 'nice shot' community. Even if critique is offered, it generally isn't discussed.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:23 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
Nice to see you again Dr Paul. A friend and I started a little face book photo page for a few people we know that want to learn to be better photographers. We even had a two hour class at our local church with better than 20 people in attendance. They all enjoyed the class and want to do that again but try to get them to post a photo in our group forget it.. I have pointed them here but there is not much interest in joining a forum. Work prevents me from being very active here but I do like to see what you are all doing when I do have time. Look me up on Facebook I have a few of you as friends there already.