TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
OK to edit my images: Yes
I run into this a lot, especially with Facebook. Guess it just goes with the territory, I always upload my photos at no more than 72 dpi, so at least I know they won't print well.

Here's an easy way to see who has your photos:

1. Open:
images.google.com

2. Drag a photo from your hard drive directly into the search field. Important: do not drag from anywhere else…the shot MUST be stored on your hard drive.

3. Hit the search button

4. You'll see an overview of your photo. Here's an example:

I brushed a red X by the photos that were stolen from me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 am 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
Mine don't appear to be good enough to be stolen ...

I find the "Visually similar images" results rather intriguing. It really does come up with very similar images. It must be done with clever software that analyses the actual image content as I don't bother with meta tags on my photos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
I have one photo that ended up on a foreign historical military site that was hosited from PhotoCamel years ago.

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:20 pm 
Wings Fan

Camera: 7D
Lens: 24-70L, 70-200 4L, Sigma 17-35. Canon 85mm 1.8
Favorite Type: Wildlife / Sports
Inspiration: My uncle
My F-86 is also on a Korean blog. :) http://images.google.com/search?tbs=sbi ... 10&biw=908

One of my owl shots is being used on several facebook profiles.

FLICKR PAGE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gosportphotos/

WEBPAGE: http://www.gosportphotos.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:12 pm 
Platinum Member

Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Paul, I'll bet you pigs to polecats that you don't post your photos on Facebook. If you want to be "good enough" to have them stolen, Facebook is the ticket to make you successful.

Phil, it's fun seeing if and where your photos turn up. Almost as big a time sucker as Photoshop! LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
Patrish, when posting an image online, the DPI setting of your photo is completely meaningless and will have zero effect on the print quality if someone chooses to download it. It's just a single number that's stored in the file, and anybody can change it to whatever they want. The only thing that matters is the resolution.

You're right that the DPI is a measurement of print quality (sort of), but it mostly determines print size. Here's how it actually works. If someone has an image that they want to print as a 4x6 at 300DPI (high quality), then they need an image that is 1200x1800 in resolution (4*300=1200, 6*300=1800). Conversely, if they have an 800x1200 resolution image that they want to print as a 4x6, then the best quality they can get is 200DPI (800/4=200,1200/6=200). If they print that image at 300DPI, then they will get a 2.66x4 print (800/300=2.66, 1200/300=4).

Using the 72DPI setting that you are applying to the image, supposing you are using a 800x1200 resolution, then if they print the file without changing the DPI they will get a poor quality image, but it will be pretty big (11x16.5). To get a better quality print, all they have to do is tell the software they are using to print it smaller. The software will automatically change the DPI to get the desired print size.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that when you post an image online you are effectively giving it to the world. There is no way to protect it from theft unless you make it so small that nobody can see it anyway.

I have a shot of my old Hasselblad XPan (which I unfortunately no longer own :( ) which gets used a lot. I won't say stolen, since I have a CC license on it, so I'm letting people use it (although few follow the required attribution requirement).

Hasselblad XPan by mikealex, on Flickr

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate you taking the time to explain this in detail. I've heard something about this before, but I didn't really understand it until I read this.

As you said, there's not much we can do about it. Many people just help themselves to photos they like. They don't bother to change the size or even the name, and probably wouldn't know how, even if they wanted to.

Wally came in the computer room as I was typing this. "That's a really cool old camera," he said, looking at my screen. I asked him if he wanted me to steal it for him. "Why would you want to do that?" he asked. I just laughed. True story.