Chalenge 140 - In Motion
John

Challenge 141 - Artistic
TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:00 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Hands

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:03 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Older still "high and dry"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Nikon d5000
Lens: kit:18-55, 55-200
Favorite Type: landscape, animals
Inspiration: too many to name
OK to edit my images: Yes
oooh Scott I love the drama of the 'high and dry' shot. Excellent processing.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:17 pm 
Sith Lord

Camera: D7000 and Minolta SR102T
Lens: Nikon 50mm and Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro and Landscape
Inspiration: Sam Abell - for the longing of photos I have not yet taken.
Not as dramatic, and taken quite a while ago. I will have a couple more soon.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
I am so dreading having to make some sort of a decision Friday. Yikes!

A fine set of contributions, Scott.

Plenty of textures and tones in #1, I find the subject skull and all the stuff surrounding it a very pleasing comp. So many directions you could have chosen, the way you went surely worked.

There's just nothing not to like about #2, and besides it being a nice subtle BW, I'm sure this one has special meaning to you. Good example of a BW without a lot of darks working just fine.

Bambi's choice of the word 'drama' fits #3 so well! It is dramatic and moody and methinks a great example of how BW can create a mood. Bet the mood in the orig is totally different, no? Very nice image, Scott.

So glad you chimed in with us here!

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:39 pm 
Gold Member

Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
Aaron you're gonna have to help me here. Assuming this is IR? 'Tis a thing I've never explored and no nothing about, short of I guess it's possible to have a camera converted to do it or it can be faked in post. Please, Aaron, enlighten me.

Either that or its a straight conversion with the yellows and reds pulled way right? Told you I'm clueless (yes, in general, too) I'm down here in IN, we don't catch on real fast like y'all up in MI. :)

It's a nice scene, I can see that much.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 pm 
Sith Lord

Greg wrote:
Aaron you're gonna have to help me here. Assuming this is IR? 'Tis a thing I've never explored and no nothing about, short of I guess it's possible to have a camera converted to do it or it can be faked in post. Please, Aaron, enlighten me.

Either that or its a straight conversion with the yellows and reds pulled way right? Told you I'm clueless (yes, in general, too) I'm down here in IN, we don't catch on real fast like y'all up in MI. :)

It's a nice scene, I can see that much.

Yep, it's IR. My camera isn't converted. I have a D50 which is one the best ones you can get to do IR without having a conversion done. It's pretty sensitive to IR if you put a filter on. I use a Hoya R72. I have to do a custom white balance in the camera (I shoot RAW, so it's no big deal if I forget to do it though). I usually set the white balance on some green grass. IR works the best if it's a bright sunny day around noon. Clouds look awesome in it if you can get some in the background. Water is generally a nice shade of black.

In post processing, the image looks really funny. You have to use the channel mixer to swap your red and blue channels. Once you do that, you can get a false color IR that sometimes looks pretty good. I have some examples of a stone angel in a cemetery. This one the false color didn't look so good in this particular image, so I just converted to B&W.

Getting exposures right in IR can be tricky. This one is actually off a bit, but didn't seem to matter to much to me in the end.

Above all, it's hard learning to live with vivid mental images of scenes I cared for and failed to photograph. It is the edgy existence within me of these unmade images that is the only assurance that the best photographs are yet to be made.
Sam Abell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:10 am 
Gold Member

Interesting stuff, Aaron. Good of you to take the time to help me (and anyone else who might be interested) out here.

Sincerely wish I could comment on your conversion, but don't know anything about IR other than that it exists and what you just explained. :)

Maybe someone else might chime in and comment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III EFS 18-55mm IS EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Landscape, Flowers
Inspiration: Nature's beauty and the ability to capture something you may never see again.
Must have "burnt" 30 gal. of gas this week trying to find a good B&W subject. Probably found some and just didn't know what to do with them.But I didn't want to "quit", so here are a couple more (archives) as to fulfill a self induced obligation to Greg's thread. I could probably give a better "meaning of life" explanation than a PP explanation on these shots. :lol: Got some absolutely "stunning" images to pick from Greg. Good luck. Not enough room to express all the things I truly admire about everyone's images. So, "great job" on some "great images" everyone.

Canadian Goose by buddybob24609, on Flickr

Park Path by buddybob24609, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:37 pm 
Sith Lord

I tried a fresh conversion this time with Lightroom. I think I like the results.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:53 pm 
Sith Lord

Here's my #3. Also a more recent shot, and a new conversion I tried just for this.

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 pm 
Sith Lord

Scott - I love that! So much drama! Excellent!

Sam Abell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:02 pm 
Gold Member

Sorry about the delayed response here, got sidetracked.....

Bob,

First off, your allusion to the "meaning of life" crack cracked up me, thank you, I enjoy laughing.

You earned points by burning all that gas, I hope you got some shots even if you didn't think they were BW candidates with all that time and gas spent, for goodness sake. Been there, done that BTW.

Good bird shot, can't tell if it's a duck or a goose. Nice detail and tonal range in the feathers, seems to work well as a BW! Don't see anything offhand I'd do much differently with the conversion.

I think the path makes a really nice BW. Good light, and it is popping as you want it to in BW, IMO. Tonal range looks pretty good too.

That said, I see a tint in both, and maybe both were intentional and that's ok! On the waterfoul, I'm sensing a slight blue tint. I don't like blue tints in BW, that's a personal thing. Some apparently like it and if you did it intentionally it is fine. If not, you probably want to get to the bottom of it. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess on the path shot. I'm seeing slight green or blue-green cast and to me, it throws it off. I think this would look great with a slight sepia tone. The bird I'd prefer as straight BW, no tone at all. Again, all personal preference, no right or wrongs here!

If either of the tints were unintentional, ask away, here or in a new thread. I'm sure between all of us we can sort it out in short order.

Main thing is you gave this a serious go, and I think I detect BW interest and a budding talent here!

Well done!

Last edited by Greg on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm 
Gold Member

Aaron,

On the fighter, I think I like it too! (kidding, love it) Great job on the conversion, the bird just pops (pilot talk for aircraft, in this case :) ). The dark sky adds some drama. That this is a nice crisp contrasty properly exposure to begin with makes a good point about conversions.

I really like the tractor shot and believe it makes a good BW. That said it sort of blends into the background just a little (but at full rez might a different story). Any ideas to make it pop a little, anyone?

Great entries, thanks for your efforts, Aaron.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:14 pm 
Gold Member

So I suppose it's time for the traditional 'time is almost up' warning. It is, and I am absolutely dreading having to make some sort of a choice. Being a horrible decision maker and habitual procrastinator, will be challenging to say the least. Will probably set out to do it late night, around 2 or 3AM EST here in the US (which is, I believe -5 GMT). I am time-zone dyslexic so this is either about 2 hrs earlier than I'd originally said, or 8 hours late. No idea. But at least I won't have to face it tomorrow AM!

I welcome any last hours entries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:26 pm 
Pyro Shooter

Camera: Fuji X-T1 (x2), Fuji X100s, Canon 5D Mark III
Lens: Fuji: 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 14, 23, 35, 56; Canon: 17-40, 24-70, 70-200, 50, 100Macro
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't run away (and some things that do)
Your stated deadline (23:59GMT) is 18:59EDT, or 7pm eastern time tonight.

I'm here to improve my photography, and to help others do the same. C&C always welcome and appreciated! If you like my photo, please try to say more than just "nice shot". If you don't like my photo, please tell me that too. You may edit and repost my photos, as long as you tell me what you did.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:03 pm 
Gold Member

Thanks, Mike, we'll run with that then. Imagine if you will back in my flying days and filing flight plans in GMT across time zones. It was hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:42 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
Berlin, Germany street scene. August 15, 2011:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:29 am 
Gold Member

Cool street scene, Patrish. I'm really need to know if that was the Rebel or the S95? Conversion looks good to me. I didn't know you were overseas! Hope to see a bunch of pics!

You were late but you're excused because so am I. :) Thanks for taking the time to contribute. You must still be recovering from jet lag!

Ok folks, I'm on this. Whether I want to be or not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:07 am 
Gold Member

At the beginning, I stated I would be picking a personal favorite for random reasons. I'm sure you've all had about enough of my rambling by now, so I shall make every attempt to be brief.

I am no BW expert. I am intermediate at best, and likely more of an advanced beginner. In photography in general, I'm like an encyclopedia. I know a little bit about everything but not a particular lot about anything. I certainly have no business choosing a 'winner', but it's part of the commitment. Sigh.

There is not one single image here that I do not like for some reason. Some, I'd hang on my wall. I have an urge to start mentioning particular ones that were in my top 5 list or whatever, but that would slight those not mentioned and I don't want to do that. Every single image is a winner in my mind for one reason or another. I mentioned extra credit for getting out and shooting, yet I ended up choosing an archive shot. Hope that doesn't honk anyone off.

That said, instead of staying up even later fussing over this (it's almost 3:00AM now), I have chosen the image by;

Phil (Eastsider)
EDIT: .....for the shot at Tiger Stadium (oops! ....and thanks, Timmy)

And I think best to leave it at that.

I had a lot of fun with this (except for having to choose a 'winner'), and I hope some of you did too. So glad each of you took the time to 'play'! Thanks.

Last edited by Greg on Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:07 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
Congrats Phil! I'm not sure which of the 3 clinched it for Greg. He didn't specify but as it was gone 3 in the morning we'll let him off and assume he liked all 3 best ;)

Personally I liked the Lion shot. Lots of great tonal range and especially in low light. I think there have been some excellent posts in this thread so well done everyone!

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:39 am 
aka discofish

Well done Phil! Best black and white concrete lion shot i have seen by a long way! Congratulations!

...and my website

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:09 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
Congratulations, Phil! Excellent subject, conversion and focus!

Greg, I got home Wednesday from 14-day Baltic Cruise on Holland America with my sister-in-law. I only took the S95, which I bought especially for this trip. Missed the big camera, especially the wide angle lens, due to the proliferation of palaces and castles. But the PS90 passed most of "stress tests" I gave it beforehand and I had a good feel for what it would and would not do. Since I took over 1,000 shots, I think there should be at least 25 good ones, so you can hope to see something other than Myrtle Beach and Jamaica for a change! LOL!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:38 am 
Silver Member

Camera: Canon 7D, Canon T1i, anything that will capture images
Lens: Canon 24-70L, Canon 70-200is ii L, Lens Baby Composer, 18-55 kit lens
Favorite Type: Still trying to figure it out
Inspiration: images on magazines posters
Congrats Phil !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:57 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon SX10IS
Lens: NA
Favorite Type: All
Inspiration: Absolutely everything!
Congrats to Phil for his crisp shot and well deserved win and thanks again to Greg who made this such
a great and educational thread. I really appreciated your helpful comments on each image. Well done!

http://miadelight.multiply.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next