TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
OK to edit my images: Yes
The deadline has arrived!

Paul, I love the leading lines of the stones in this shot. Very dramatic in black and white.

Phil, Ziggy is cute as can be, and growing fast, I'm sure. Hope we'll see more of him. I would not have thought about a b&w treatment for this pup, but it works well! I like the clarity of his fur.

Phil, that's a scene I hope we won't see down here in SC, but piers are always fun to shoot. They offer a lot of opportunities for creativity, as you've shown here.

Ade, you know I always look forward to watching your children as they grow. They are so photogenic and obviously at ease with the camera. Yes, that potty photo made laugh out loud!

Scott, I love the capture of the wave as it hits the rock in the "bowl." Nice transition to black and white. I can almost hear the "smack" as the water hits the rocks.

Al, I had to do some research on the Bayon Smiles, and found it fascinating. I can easily understand your interest in returning to Cambodia. Your use of existing light works perfectly on the face, and leaves the viewer wanting to see more.

Timmy, thank you for experimenting with your mobile to achieve such a detailed black and white for this challenge. As evidenced in this challenge, photography and our means to display it have changed considerably in the last few years.

Scott, as you already know, I'm interested in the Photoshop Touch for the iPad. I'm always surprised at the quality I achieve with the iPad3 photos and will probably have this app in my possession soon. Great quality and detail in this shot!

Paul, this a a beautiful detailed orchid. Good for you, for not losing any of the detail in the transformation to b&w. Whites are always a problem for me! I can envision this shot enlarged and hanging on the wall of a museum!

Ade, the bride in this candid is obviously spending a pensive, quiet moment, contemplating the day ahead. Nicely framed by the doors, and excellent natural lighting through the windows. A very tender moment which translates well to b&w. I'm sure she loved this shot.

Claphoto, the early morning leaves with droplets of water show off beautifully in this b&w. The available lighting with the dark background show the beauty of Mother Nature. Well-captured!

Timmy, I had to smile at the magic trick. This shot is well done, resourceful, and tack sharp.

Lazarus, thanks for showing us what can be done with a cell phone, some editing, and of course most importantly, the talent of a photographer. As I mentioned in my response above to Tim, this challenge has shown off the many changes in photography we've come to accept and embrace in the last few years. Tilly is adorable! I'm sure she thinks she is hiding in those leaves… so typical of cats I have known.

The Challenge Winner for "It's all there in black and white" is:

Meadowlark (Al) for his "Mystery of Bayon."
As most of us know, Al is not a newcomer to black and white photography. The lighting and detail on this smiling Buddha-like face just amazed me. In this shot, Al also shows us the dark mystery that surrounds Angkor Wat, and left me with an urge to add this to my bucket list. Well done, Al!

Meadowlark, Challenge 140 is up to you! (The length of time and the number of entries is also up to you.)

Thanks to all you you for taking the time to participate in this challenge. You did not make it easy on me, and every one of you is a first runner-up.
I'm amazed at the talent among our members!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:11 am 
Still hanging around

Camera: Nikon D7200
Lens: 16-85mm VR and 50mm f/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscapes & sunrises
Inspiration: Shaun Lowe
Congrats Al! A worthy winner in a strong field of runners.

(Al - the size reduction used for the page headers doesn't do your image any favours. If you want to crop/resize a version to 150 pixels tall and email the image or a link to me, I will use it on the page headers. Email paul@pwtphoto.com)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
Congrats Al! That's a stunning image and the win is well deserved, especially with such strong competition. Great work, and good job with the challenge theme Patrish!

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:36 pm 
Gold Member

OK to edit my images: No
Well, thanks all. I had forgotten how much fun these challenges can be.. Lots of neat images always show up. I'll come up with a new challenge in a day or so.

Everyone except my mother calls me Al.

"Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED, 50mm f/1.8G AF-S, 85mm f/1.8D
Favorite Type: pretty much anything
Inspiration: Everything around me
Congrats Al, great shot :D look forward to the next challenge

http://www.blackwaterphotography.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
Great choice, nice work everyone.