John
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In camera HDR
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Sony A580
OK to edit my images: Yes
I had a communion to go to and while waiting for the ceremony to start I decided to give the in camera HDR function a try. This only works with a Jpeg image. It also only saves the middle image or the EV+-0 image. I set the EV+-3. What I don't like is that there is no way to tell which images you used when you upload all your images. I was shooting RAW and Jpeg so it was easy because these were the only 2 images that didn't have a RAW image too. Both images are out of camera and were opened in Camera RAW to crop.
Frank

EV+-0 Image

EV+-3

Iso 100
f/2.8
1/30
Tamron 17-50 @50mm

Hand held

Sony a580
Sony A 100
Maxxum 400si.
Tamron 70-300 Di
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
Minolta AF 35-70
Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn21 ... ccount.rss
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

Post subject: Re: In camera HDR
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Pentax K100D Super
Lens: Tamron 90mm Macro, Pentax 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro, Near Infrared, Studio, Unusual
Inspiration: Undersanding the true nature of our experience
Sparkie1263 wrote:
I had a communion to go to and while waiting for the ceremony to start I decided to give the in camera HDR function a try. This only works with a Jpeg image. It also only saves the middle image or the EV+-0 image. I set the EV+-3. What I don't like is that there is no way to tell which images you used when you upload all your images. I was shooting RAW and Jpeg so it was easy because these were the only 2 images that didn't have a RAW image too. Both images are out of camera and were opened in Camera RAW to crop.
Frank

Iso 100
f/2.8
1/30
Tamron 17-50 @50mm

Hand held

Using the trusty Tamron lens again, I see. I wish I had in-camera HDR; that is, if it would do as nice a job as yours does. And you got it at ISO 100.

In terms of the composition, I really like the inclusion of three lights along with the trinity aspect in the alter.
The very few instances I've tried myself in HDR involved one with seven steps of 2EV and another, my wife's glass work, at three 2EV units. Yours at 3EV steps produces a good result, the first one being 0EV and the 2nd one being +/- 3EV with HDR processing

Currently reading The Science of Liberty by Timmy Ferris

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:07 am 
Gold Member

This is the first time I used it. It did a good job at filling in the dark shadows. I should have upped the iso to 800 which might have helped with hand holding the shot. There is too much to think about and using a new camera don't make it easier. I don't shoot these types of shots enough for it to become second nature and I need to slow down and think more before I shoot. Yes the first image was at 0ev

Thanks again for you nice comments
Frank

Sony a580
Sony A 100
Maxxum 400si.
Tamron 70-300 Di
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
Minolta AF 35-70

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:21 am 
Silver Member

Camera: Canon 20D, 40D, 5D, G12
Lens: 17-85, 24-105L, 105, 10-20, 150-500
Favorite Type: Anything & Everything
I'm not a great lover of in camera processing, even jpegs. I suppose the old equivalent, would be using a instant camera, instead of processing film and print in your darkroom. Only my opinion of course, I'm sure some people will find it useful.

There's no need for turning back.
'Cos all roads lead to where we stand,
And I believe we'll walk them all,
No matter what we may have planned.

Don McClean, http://tinyurl.com/cxnbdj

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:42 am 
Gold Member

John wrote:
I'm not a great lover of in camera processing, even jpegs. I suppose the old equivalent, would be using a instant camera, instead of processing film and print in your darkroom. Only my opinion of course, I'm sure some people will find it useful.

One John to another, I fully agree with your point; Capture as much information as you can, and work out an optimum result later. We are likely to be smarter than our cameras.

I shoot exclusively in RAW, but for my camera system K100D Super, there is no viable alternative: It's decent in RAW for my limited purposes but sucks in JPG. In my very brief HDR experience, I kind of like Photomatix insofar as the initial simplicity of it, but I really want to explore HDR in CS5 as soon as time permits, and hopefully gain a more fundamental undersanding of the process, even if only to learn how to use Photomatix more effectively.

That having been said, I still think it would be nice, in routine situations such as this one in church, to have two jpgs on either side of a 0EV RAW that might be used to supply some missing highlight or shadow data: Not that this would be the preferred method, as you say, but it seems like it would be nice to have as an option in certain situations. Without that option in my low end camera body, I have my bracket set up for +/- 2EV so that if necessary I can use it with the intent of postprocessing in Photomatix to improve on the capability of the 0EV file. Hopefully I'd be in a situation where I could use a tripod and shoot Av so I wouldn't have to worry about shutter speed. But then I'd probably wind up shooting seven brackets anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:56 am 
Silver Member

Camera: Canon 20D, 40D, 5D, G12
Lens: 17-85, 24-105L, 105, 10-20, 150-500
Favorite Type: Anything & Everything
John, I tend to underexpose my shots then correct them in post, as I find it easier to find some details in shadows, than from overexposed areas. RAW files are ideal for this because of the wide range they contain. My shots are routinely run through a P/S plugin called ReDynaMix, mostly to subtle effect but I have been known to wind up those dials to wild effect. :)

see http://www.lightcafe.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17499

There's no need for turning back.
'Cos all roads lead to where we stand,
And I believe we'll walk them all,
No matter what we may have planned.

Don McClean, http://tinyurl.com/cxnbdj

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm 
Gold Member

John wrote:
John, I tend to underexpose my shots then correct them in post, as I find it easier to find some details in shadows, than from overexposed areas. RAW files are ideal for this because of the wide range they contain. My shots are routinely run through a P/S plugin called ReDynaMix, mostly to subtle effect but I have been known to wind up those dials to wild effect. :)

see http://www.lightcafe.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17499

Thanks, John. I will definitely check that software out. I also try to undershoot a bit, but in RAW my system has a lot of headroom for highlights.

Thanks so much for the tip... :)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 2:33 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Olympus EPL-1
Lens: 14-42, 14-150
You never know till you try it out. And it seemed to work pretty good for a informal, off-the-cuff shot. Now you at least have an idea of what to expect.

Of course, combining the three shots and processing them yourself will achieve better results, but it sure came out better than a straight shot!

"You don't take a photograph- you make it."~ Ansel Adams

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:37 pm 
Gold Member

Geneo wrote:
You never know till you try it out. And it seemed to work pretty good for a informal, off-the-cuff shot. Now you at least have an idea of what to expect.

Of course, combining the three shots and processing them yourself will achieve better results, but it sure came out better than a straight shot!

I know it isn't going to replace processing the images but can save a shot in a pinch. This new camera has a few other bells and whistles I will have to try.

Thanks
Frank

Sony a580
Sony A 100
Maxxum 400si.
Tamron 70-300 Di
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
Minolta AF 35-70

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:03 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
Before I purchased my canon 550d, I was looking into all the various options on the market at the time (as you do before making such an investment into a good quality bit of kit). I tried out the Sony Nex-5, mainly because it had the advantage of havng such a small size and would make travelling with a camera easier (you can't take pictures if you don't have your camera with you!). In the end I am extremely pleased I decided to go for the canon, but the Sony certainly had some fun features such as this HDR function.

It had a great panoramic function which I tried out in the shop. Just tell it which direction you want to spin in, then hit the shutter and turn slowly. It fires off a series of shots in quick succession then combines them all to a nice panoramic shot in camera. It work quite well, does yours have this feature Frank?

It will be nice to see more of these fun options in future DSLR bodies.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:19 pm 
Gold Member

TimmyG wrote:
Before I purchased my canon 550d, I was looking into all the various options on the market at the time (as you do before making such an investment into a good quality bit of kit). I tried out the Sony Nex-5, mainly because it had the advantage of havng such a small size and would make travelling with a camera easier (you can't take pictures if you don't have your camera with you!). In the end I am extremely pleased I decided to go for the canon, but the Sony certainly had some fun features such as this HDR function.

It had a great panoramic function which I tried out in the shop. Just tell it which direction you want to spin in, then hit the shutter and turn slowly. It fires off a series of shots in quick succession then combines them all to a nice panoramic shot in camera. It work quite well, does yours have this feature Frank?

It will be nice to see more of these fun options in future DSLR bodies.

Indeed! And after two years with my camera bodies, I just realized there a set up function that would allow independent button control of exposure and focus, AND an flash compensation that allows me to adjust the intensity of the pop up flash over a range of 3 or 4 EV. There's probably a lot more stuff I don't know about in what I have now, and they keep adding more !! :?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:24 pm 
Gold Member

Yes it has sweep pano mode as well as 3d pano mode so you can view it on a 3d TV. It has a Multi-Frame NR function overlays six sequential images in-camera. It also has a night time scene mode for handheld night shots. I will test out these other features and post them here.

Thanks
Frank

Sony a580
Sony A 100
Maxxum 400si.
Tamron 70-300 Di
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
Minolta AF 35-70