http://miadelight.multiply.com/

Post subject: Re: Inlays
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:08 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
OK to edit my images: Yes
I like the idea in this one, but I'm struggling to work out what is embedded in the wood (is it rocks or gemstones)? I think the colour cast is throwing me off a bit and is probably a bit too saturated, but it certainly adds interest.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon SX10IS
Lens: NA
Favorite Type: All
Inspiration: Absolutely everything!
TimmyG wrote:
I like the idea in this one, but I'm struggling to work out what is embedded in the wood (is it rocks or gemstones)? I think the colour cast is throwing me off a bit and is probably a bit too saturated, but it certainly adds interest.

You know it's art Timmy and you don't need to figure out what it is! lol Yes, I guess strong color on wood is not everyone's cup of tea.
This is a table with paua inlays and I just played with the shot a bit for fun. thanks for looking!

Here is the (to me) boring original lol

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:59 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
Thanks for posting the original. I agree the colour image is more interesting but I still couldn't figure out what the "rocks" were!

I had to google "paua inlays" to find out they were some kind of sea snail LOL.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:15 am 
Platinum Member

TimmyG wrote:
Thanks for posting the original. I agree the colour image is more interesting but I still couldn't figure out what the "rocks" were!

I had to google "paua inlays" to find out they were some kind of sea snail LOL.

Ah, sorry Timmy, it's abalone, a shellfish that's unique to NZ. The shell is very shiny and beautiful
like mother of pearl... very popular in the tourism industry here...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 am 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
I was struggling with what to say, if anything, about that purple color in #1 with no explanation. I probably would not have responded because I like understanding what I'm supposed to be seeing, so I can give better and more targeted comments (if that makes sense.)

But when I looked again, I do like the original. It's not boring to me at all, due to the texture and grain of the wood. I also appreciate the description which helps me understand what I'm viewing!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 3:13 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: Pentax K100D Super
Lens: Tamron 90mm Macro, Pentax 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro, Near Infrared, Studio, Unusual
Inspiration: Undersanding the true nature of our experience
miadelight wrote:
You know it's art Timmy and you don't need to figure out what it is!

This is a particularly interesting thread, and comment to me because I had a similar reaction to that of others.
Whether or not it is art, it would seem from the empirical evidence that we do indeed have a need to figure out what it is.

Now maybe "art", used in this sense, could be something that helps to lead us beyond that need,
but old habits are hard to break; and ancient ones even moreso.

(If I may take this opportunity, I'd also like to ask, if there is indeed only this moment,
then what about my recollection of first reading that thought? Doesn't that count for something? :wink:
:)

Currently reading The Science of Liberty by Timmy Ferris

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:03 pm 
aka discofish

miadelight wrote:
Ah, sorry Timmy, it's abalone, a shellfish that's unique to NZ. The shell is very shiny and beautiful

Mia -abalone are a little more widespread than that ;)

...and my website

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:12 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrish wrote:
I was struggling with what to say, if anything, about that purple color in #1 with no explanation. I probably would not have responded because I like understanding what I'm supposed to be seeing, so I can give better and more targeted comments (if that makes sense.)

But when I looked again, I do like the original. It's not boring to me at all, due to the texture and grain of the wood. I also appreciate the description which helps me understand what I'm viewing!

Thanks for your comment Patrish, yes I think we all have that in us to an extent. Daily though, in some groups I'm a member of, I see 100s of images
with no explanation, especially minimalistic ones and I'm trying to go beyond figuring out what they are of and just seeing them as they are. Especially the
macro minimalistic ones... I posted this image there and not one person has asked what it is, but I got 29 people "liking it" he he he. Now I'm not
saying this to defend the image, everyone is perfectly free not to like it, but it opens up an interesting discussion don't you think? I'm still working
on this (not having to know what things are lol) but once or twice my curiosity has taken over and I have asked! he he he...
I think with wood, many people want to see it in it's natural color, or at the most in B&W, it's ingrained in us (pun intended) he he he...

I appreciate your comment my friend! :D

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:30 pm 
Platinum Member

chicagojohn wrote:
miadelight wrote:
You know it's art Timmy and you don't need to figure out what it is!

This is a particularly interesting thread, and comment to me because I had a similar reaction to that of others.
Whether or not it is art, it would seem from the empirical evidence that we do indeed have a need to figure out what it is.

Now maybe "art", used in this sense, could be something that helps to lead us beyond that need,
but old habits are hard to break; and ancient ones even moreso.

(If I may take this opportunity, I'd also like to ask, if there is indeed only this moment,
then what about my recollection of first reading that thought? Doesn't that count for something? :wink:
:)

LOL, thanks CJ, I did say that to Timmy very much tongue in cheek, and see my response to Patrish, I agree totally
with what you are saying. .. I'm in that habit myself for sure... That said, it doesn't mean that we have to like what
we see... It's interesting with the color purple, I think many people have strong reactions to that color. Very few
like it as a color I think, but those who do, are really attracted to it... I don't like orange much, but I love purple and turquoise
and always have...

There is only this moment, and this moment, and this moment ...... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member

teaco wrote:
miadelight wrote:

Mia -abalone are a little more widespread than that ;)

Here's an article about Paua from (http://www.tokufoodsnz.com/paua.cfm) for anyone interested. I should have said "a species of Abalone" :lol:

"About New Zealand Paua (Abalone)

Paua is a species of abalone (Haliotis Iris). It is only found in the sea around New Zealand. This marine mollusc (shellfish) eats seaweed and lives clinging to rocks at depths of 1-10 meters, normally along the shoreline.

Paua meat is a traditional delicacy of the Maori, the indigenous people of Aotearoa (New Zealand). Although it is harder to find today than it used to be, many New Zealanders still rate Paua alongside oysters as their preferred shellfish. Gathering Paua from favourite coastal fishing spots is still indulged in by Maori families with the Paua cooked in traditional style or simply shelled and eaten in their natural state.

The New Zealand Paua fishery is sustainably managed now. The New Zealand Quota Management System (QMS) is strictly enforced by Fisheries Officers to ensure the Paua fishery is maintained for future generations of New Zealanders. The QMS regulations limit the catch of commercial and recreational fishers as well controlling the size of Paua taken. Also commercial Paua divers can only free-dive to pry Paua off the rocks with the use of air tanks prohibited.

The Paua shell is a by product of Paua gathered for their meat and is the most colourful of all the abalone shells. The colour in the Paua shell changes when viewed at different angles. This iridescence, similar to that of Mother of Pearl shell, but far more brilliant, is what makes Paua shell so amazing as a gem material for use in jewellery. It is truly one of nature's marvels. Each shell is different in its colour toning, and in the patterns within the shell. The black patterns in the shell come from layers of protein that are laid down between the layers of calcium that make up the shell. The brilliant colours are from light being refracted within the crystal layers. The same effect that the iridescent colour that is found in Opals.

Paua shell was traditionally used by Maori to illuminate the eyes of their carving and artwork. The reddish coloured shell was most prized for depicting the flashing red eyes of the warrior. The use of Paua shell in all manner of jewellery and sculpture has become a distinctive feature of New Zealand artwork now."

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: Pentax K100D Super
Lens: Tamron 90mm Macro, Pentax 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300
Favorite Type: Macro, Near Infrared, Studio, Unusual
Inspiration: Undersanding the true nature of our experience
miadelight wrote:
[quote="chicagojohn]

LOL, thanks CJ, I did say that to Timmy very much tongue in cheek, and see my response to Patrish, I agree totally
with what you are saying. .. I'm in that habit myself for sure... That said, it doesn't mean that we have to like what
we see... It's interesting with the color purple, I think many people have strong reactions to that color. Very few
like it as a color I think, but those who do, are really attracted to it... I don't like orange much, but I love purple and turquoise
and always have...

There is only this moment, and this moment, and this moment ...... :lol: :lol:[/quote][/quote]

I think we are essentially in agreement, miadelight, with the possible exception that it seems to me that very often "liking" somthing means recognizing a "likeness"; viz., that which is foreign and unrecognizable can present a challenge to the conventional perceptual and cognitive processes. I'm sure you may have seen the Steve Martin routine, "What the hell is THAT?"

Also, sometimes when colors, shapes, sounds which may be pleasing themselves in some circumstances are put into circumstances where they are not normally experienced, the patron may experience a sort of dissonance in perception that can be jarring. And I think that is what I may have experienced in your original image of purple wood.

That is by no means a bad thing, if it engages the mind to ask what is happening and why. "Purple? I like purple. Wood? I like wood. Why is this combination a problem?" That interruption in the routine process of, "nice capture", "I like the color", "nice composition", etc., I think is a very good thing.

You know, it's very easy to look at the familiar and pretty and acknowledge that. But speaking solely for myself, I think it is often more instructive to look at something that I don't necessarily find particularly attractive and ask why not.

So, this is just a different moment, I guess :D.... There's another one..... :-P

Currently reading The Science of Liberty by Timmy Ferris

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm 
Platinum Member

chicagojohn wrote:
miadelight wrote:
[quote="chicagojohn]

and always have...

There is only this moment, and this moment, and this moment ...... :lol: :lol:[/quote][/quote][/quote]

I think we are essentially in agreement, miadelight, with the possible exception that it seems to me that very often "liking" somthing means recognizing a "likeness"; viz., that which is foreign and unrecognizable can present a challenge to the conventional perceptual and cognitive processes. I'm sure you may have seen the Steve Martin routine, "What the hell is THAT?"

Also, sometimes when colors, shapes, sounds which may be pleasing themselves in some circumstances are put into circumstances where they are not normally experienced, the patron may experience a sort of dissonance in perception that can be jarring. And I think that is what I may have experienced in your original image of purple wood.

That is by no means a bad thing, if it engages the mind to ask what is happening and why. "Purple? I like purple. Wood? I like wood. Why is this combination a problem?" That interruption in the routine process of, "nice capture", "I like the color", "nice composition", etc., I think is a very good thing.

You know, it's very easy to look at the familiar and pretty and acknowledge that. But speaking solely for myself, I think it is often more instructive to look at something that I don't necessarily find particularly attractive and ask why not.

So, this is just a different moment, I guess :D.... There's another one..... :-P[/quote]

Very well said CJ! And all of this applies to turds on decks as well ... he he he

In this moment I feel to go to youTube and look up that Steve Martin clip... lol The things we learn here.... :o