TimmyG

Challenge 142 - Smoking!
John
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:00 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 60D & Canon S95
Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Favorite Type: Anything that doesn't move much
OK to edit my images: Yes
I know this sort of processing doesn't appeal to everyone, and that's OK. But I thought a fun restaurant like this deserves a little Topaz Adjust 4.

This is Jimmy Buffet's 3rd restaurant in Myrtle Beach. Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise preceded the ocean front Landshark Grille which opened in May. Of course, they also have a store for LandShark merchandise! (And I have some LandShark beer in our refrigerator if y'all come visit us before it disappears!)

There were 10 of us for dinner on Sept. 10th. Fun times were had by all, and the waiter was amazing!

C&C always welcome and encouraged.

1. The waiter

2. The store:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member

Lens: Canon 28-200, Canon 70-300, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 150-500, Post Processing: Adobe CS5 Master Suite
OK...20 views, and no responses. (??) I know there are members here who don't like heavily processed images, and that's OK. Tell me you hate it. I can live with that. Tell me anything you want. But please...don't ignore me. I can process these photos again and make them look like postcards...would that be better?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:05 am 
aka discofish

Hi Patrish. I think guests can look but not comment. I'm also one for quickly flicking through threads at work but don't have time to comment until i get home. I like the photos but not the processing (sorry). Some people hide poor photos behind processing in the hope of making good images... but i think these are great and would stand out much better in more traditional style. You've caught the waiter using all his balancing skills there... i don't think i could do that when i was a waiter!

...and my website

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:38 am 
Platinum Member

>...I'm also one for quickly flicking through threads at work but don't have time to comment...
I hadn't thought about that aspect...makes sense. So does the fact that may of us are in different time zones.

I haven't posted as much in the Digital Art as I could, because I've learned that many members here prefer the more traditional look. As I said above, that's okay. I still appreciate comments, and I don't want anyone thinking it might hurt my feelings if they don't like it. It won't.

Thanks or your honesty, Peter.

>...using all his balancing skills there.
LOL! I missed his arrival (with a couple more dinners on his arm) because I was fumbling with the camera, still in the bag. I was planning a group shot...not this unexpected photo op.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:30 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Nikon d5000
Lens: kit:18-55, 55-200
Favorite Type: landscape, animals
Inspiration: too many to name
not sure how but I totally missed this thread. sorry. I like both shots but agree that the processing could be dialed back a bit. what a great waiter though. I am impressed.

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:52 am 
Gold Member

Camera: Nikon D200
Lens: Sigma 18-200 and others
Favorite Type: Travel, Landscape, Street
You know my feelings about digital art :) What a great capture - hard to believe he had more dinners. Think ya done good even though fumbling with the camera (why does that not sound like you?) I get a kick out of coincidence - am going to a Jimmy Buffet tribute tonight :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:58 pm 
Platinum Member

Camera: Canon 550D (Rebel T2i)
Lens: Canon EF-S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens),Canon EF-S 55-250 F4-5.6
Favorite Type: Wildlife, Portrait, Street
Sorry Patrish, I did take a look at these without leaving a comment, but it's just because I sometimes need a bit more time to ruminate on an image before I can figure out my thoughts on it (I often flick through all the new pictures I haven't seen to try to catch up, then return to them when I have a bit more time)

I like digital art, but I don't think this treatment particularly appeals to me (kind of like faux-hdr with some extra graininess thrown in). I think the photos are great though. I particularly like the waiter portrait. Those burgers (?) look like sail boats, which is very appropriate for an ocean side cafe.

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it"
----- Willy Wonka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:52 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
I looked before and wanted to comment later. Mentioned this before, no option to mark topic unread here so when I'm not in mood to comment, have trouble finding the thread again.

You know I am a fan of the Topaz look, even heavy. #2 works fine for me, and I like it.

I would like #1 just fine, but it just doesn't look right and I don't mean because it's been Topazed (or whatever you used). I like the grunge look. It's really hard to pull of with people but it can work. This one for whatever reason comes off with more a a poor IQ look. Not sure what is causing it. Possible causes insufficient IQ to begin with from the S95 (unlikely), the shadows were adaptively adjusted too far, or the image perhaps wasn't in great shape before fiddling with in Topaz. Just some ideas, hard to put a finger on it exactly.

Wouldn't be so forthcoming usually but coming from a fellow fan of adaptive exposure control or whatever we want to call it, didn't think you'd mind to much.

Otherwise, love the shot. His look, the balance and comp, foreground, background, etc. And I think I'd like it heavily processed if I didn't see the excess whatever it is I am seeing.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member

Bambi, thanks for looking. I know, sometimes I get carried away with the Topaz filter. It's those voices in my head.....

Larry, hope you enjoyed the Jimmy Buffett Tribute. Did you get some pictures? Let's see 'em!

Quote Timmy:
"I don't think this treatment particularly appeals to me..."
That's okay, Timmy. I forgive you and you're still my friend! Image
Quote Timmy:
"I think the photos are great though..."
:) Thank you!

Greg, as always, I appreciate the thoughtfulness you always express in your critiques. It took me a couple seconds
to realize you were not questioning my IQ or the waiter's IQ, but the Image Quality. LOL! Thanks so much for taking
the time to comment, Greg!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm 
Gold Member

Camera: DSLR: D700, D300 Compact: S95, SD870IS
Lens: Nikkor
Favorite Type: Mostly things that don't move or look back at me
Inspiration: Why I got started is a long story. Why I keep going is having nice places like this to share my stuff and learn and improve.
Whew, I'm surely glad you got back to this. Thought I'd overstepped my bounds and managed to offend you, Patrish.

Glad such isn't the case. Whew, again.

I welcome all critique, and appreciate and value your time and comments greatly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:07 pm 
Platinum Member

Oh, Greg! I'm sure you will never offend me, but if you ever do, you would hear from me straight away. I'm not one to sulk in silence, so don't worry. HOWEVER...if you start questioning my IQ, you might be in real trouble. :lol: :lol: