Post subject: Bought a film camera
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 am 
Captures Light

Camera: Canon 5D MKII, AE-1, Sinar Norma 4x5, Mamiya RB67 ProS
Lens: EOS: 50 1.8, 28-75, 75-200 F4L | Mamiya 90 & 127 | 4x5 90, 157, 210
Favorite Type: Portrait and Landscape
Inspiration: Our beautiful planet
OK to edit my images: Yes
I started photography with a Digital SLR and always wondered how people with film cameras took those "stunning" photos without having 100s of photos to chose from. Basically, photography for me at first was just take as many photos as I could in as many different ways possible until I got something that was nice. I like to think that I put more thought into my photos now but I still take several photos and ultimately just use one or two from the series. This is all about to change because I just bought a film camera and I can image that the DSLR habits will really drag down the wallet.

I went really old school and bought a Canon AE-1 (1976 model) with 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8 Macro lenses. I have never seen this camera in person (still waiting for the package to arrive) but based on the reviews and photos on the web, it seems to be one slick camera. I have so much to learn and hope that you guys can help me get a good start.

Here are few things that I need help understand:

- What films should I be using (Color and BW)?
- What filters are essential for film photography?
- Where should I have the film processed (I live in Maryland)
- How much would an entry level home processing kit cost? Would you recommend this?
- Are film scanners worth it? What quality should I expect from them - I would be comparing it to my 5D MKII (21 MP) with L series lenses.

Pali

Post subject: Re: Bought a film camera
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:52 am 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
OK to edit my images: No
When I shot film I had many more choices for film emulsions I don't even know what is available anymore.

A couple of years ago my daughter took a photography class and used my Dads AE-1 probably from around 76. We had a few color films from Fuji to pick from at the local camera store and tri-x for black and white. I did like the grain on the ISO 400 tri-x. If you can find some Velvia it makes some nice landscape images super saturated colors.

Polarizers are handy for film just like digital. and Graduated ND filters are also a good idea to balance exposure. I had a warming filter to cut blue during the day time and it was nice for sunsets too.

I bought a black and white kit to develop film basically a canister to hold the film and developers I could load the film in a darkened bathroom and develop the negatives at home. I had to use the enlargers and develop the prints at the school. you may find a local club where you can develop the prints.

Can't help at all with the scanner. I did read that the 21 megapixel cameras now out resolve 35 millimeter film and are more like a medium format film camera so I wonder if a home scanner will make you happy. You may want to send of your best negatives to a professional lab to scan with a drum scanner.

Best of luck with the SLR it is a great kit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:13 am 
Race Addict

Camera: Nikon D7000 + D80
Lens: Sigmas 18-50 f/2.8, 105mm, 120-300mm & 1.4x, 12-24mm, Nikon 55-200 VR
Favorite Type: Will shoot anything but love sports :-)
I more played than seriously shot on film, but my impression is that you'd be best off shooting a mix of monos and colour slide film. If you want an easier route into mono, it may be worth trying XP2 as it can be processed in C41 colour chemistry by any old lab (though any old quick lab won't do as good a job as a proper lab, they're not really used to monos from what I understand!).

For scanners, I believe I've read that a good percentage of film shooters are now doing digital prints of scanned film rather than darkroom prints - I can well imagine it's more convenient, and certainly easier to replicate the one where you got the printing just right than having to dodge and burn by hand onto paper. Drpablo and Walter probably shoot more film than anyone else here though, so they'd be the ones to talk to.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:26 pm 
Captures Light

Really good information - Thanks Guys!!

Scott: Thanks for suggestions on different films. I'll definitely give them a try at some point. Do you know how much a basic processing kit costs for BW negatives? I would like to try it and see if it is something that I can hang of. At the moment, I am probably going to rely on a lab to process my films and photos.

Greg: I am reading up on slide films (I didn't know such a thing existed) and I think that is the route I am taking with my first roll. Now my question is where do I get it processed? Would a store like Ritz camera process it? I just don't know that many camera specialty stores in my area and wondering if taking it to Costco would damage the film?

Eventually, I think I will be investing in a nice scanner within the $500 budget range. Do you know if it makes any difference to have a slide vs. regular film for scanners? I'll be the first to admit that I am a Photoshop addict so having that option with my film camera would be great.

Thank you both for taking the time to help me get up to speed. The camera should be here in 2 days... Can't wait!

Pali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 am 
Race Addict

I've never shot slide film, but I remember them being sold in the UK with bundled processing - you sent it off to their mail order labs. I'd be surprised if Costco could handle it, aside from having to mount slides I suspect their machines would all be for processing C41 (standard colour print chemistry) and slides are E6. In theory you can process E6 in C41 (cross-processing, that's where the term comes from) but you'd get funny colour if they did it right. If they're scanning the neg to do a digital print which some minilabs do their machine will try to cancel out the funny colour but probably just give you a poor print.

I've had a quick search for labs in your area - no idea if they're any good but http://www.photocommunications.com/photo-lab/index.html turned up.

For scanning - remember that scanning a 36x24mm film requires rather more resolution than an 8x6 print, hence dedicated film scanners. Colour C41 print film has an orange base (I think the idea is that it cancels out with a colour reaction in the paper) so can scan a bit funny from what I've seen, but it should be correctible. If your final expected output is from scanned digital though, I'd bet on slide film. Lower exposure latitude so be careful with it, but that's what advice I've always heard.

Greg
Here to learn! Would love your comments, critiques and edits on any of my images.
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:32 pm 
Nature Photographer

Camera: Sony α900, Sony α55, Sony α200 IR
Lens: 17-35, 24-105, 28-75/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 70-400, 16/2.8, 50/1.7, 100/2.8 macro, 135/1.8
Favorite Type: Landscape, Nature
Inspiration: The natural beauty of the world
I don't have any good advice but I asked similar questions a few years back and got lots of suggestions from people. See here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4983

I'm interested to see if you end up shooting much film. I bought four film cameras and eight or nine roles of film. A few of those films are still in my freezer, one is still in a camera and two of the cameras have been sold.

All comments and criticisms on my photos are appreciated. Don't worry about being too harsh either. You won't offend me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm 
The Scout

Camera: Canon XT, Canon 60D
Lens: Canon 17-85, Sigma 105, Canon 50 1.8, lens baby, Canon f4 70-200 L
Favorite Type: I try all kinds of things, Family and macro heavy dash of landscape
Inspiration: My Dad got me started years ago when he bought my first 35mm pentax.
I know I didn't pay this much 69.99 for my kit more like 40 but that was more than 20 years ago.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... m_Kit.html

This is a starter kit to develop the negatives. It is a fairly simple process.

I still have 8 or 10 rolls of film I haven't developed from my film days, I really need to get that done before the film is destroyed. I am sure there are some stunning images of my family on those rolls.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am 
Captures Light

I really appreciate all the help guys. I now have a good general understanding of film processing and will probably learn more from my mistakes once I get the camera.

Greg: Thanks for looking up the lab - I couldn't find anything better so I'll most likely be using these guys. They are about 20 minutes away from my place so not too bad. I started looking into enlargers and looks like I can pick up a decent one for under 200 that can fit up to 11"x14" so I may give that a shot over a scanner. Enlarging at home just sounds more appealing at the moment.

Steve: Thanks for the link - really good information there. Someone needs to consolidate the wealth of information that is scattered all around this forum and post it in a FAQ about film photography.

Scott: Thanks for the link but I found similar one for a little less - http://www.freestylephoto.biz/5055-Aris ... rkroom-Kit. The photos make it look like they are the same kit but the name is different.

By the time I have my first print, I'll likely be broke but it'll be so much fun! I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.

Pali

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:00 pm 
Silver Member

Camera: Nikon F5, N90s, D700, Rollei TLR, Linhof Tech IV, Blad and on and on
Lens: To many to mention, I'm an addict, what can I say.
Favorite Type: landscape and small stuff
Inspiration: Edward Weston and a good single malt scotch
May I suggest another great photo forum Analog Photographers Users Group or APUG for short. The url is www.apug.org You will find a treasure trove of information relating to film photography there. Personally I use either b&w film favorites being Ilford FP4 or Ilford HP5. Having said that you can get some really great results from cheaper Chinese films. A great developer to begin with is either Kodak HC110 or Agfa Rodinal. When I don't want to bother changing back and forth between film I shoot colour C41 (negative) films. They have broader tonal range than E6 (slide) films and are every bit as sharp. The advantage is I can scan the colour negs and convert them to b&w in PS if I want.

Welcome to the fold of film crazies.

Eric

I don't have a beard, I don't play the piano, I have no hope as a photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 am 
Captures Light

Thank you Eric - I visited the forum and plan on being a regular there once I get started.

I picked up some cheapo Kodak TMax from a local store because I have been told over and over again that I will most likely screw up my first few films. I plan to process and print at home and this should now be possible because I just won the bid on an Omega C700 darkroom kit. Based on some reviews, it is a good entry level setup that usually costs $350 - I got it for $165 shipped so no complaints at all (haven't received it yet).

Already have:
- Canon AE-1 + 50MM 1.8 + 28MM 2.8 ($125.00) (Shipment delayed due to weather - aghh the waiting)
- Omega 700 Darkroom Kit ($165.00) (Should arrive in a week)
- 3PK Kodak TMax Film ($15.00) (Ready to load on camera)
Total: ($305.00)

Still need:
- Ilford FP4, Ilford HP5, and Slide Films
- Processing chemicals (Kodak HC110 is on the list)
- B&W 8x10 and 11x14 Print Paper
Estimate: ($50.00 - $100.00)

I am still not sure what chemicals I need. Do I need to order a developer (for film & paper), a fixer, and stop baths? Eric, do you have any suggestions to what works best with Kodak HC110?

We'll see how my ~$400 pictures turn out. I am not counting on much but I am super excited about the process.

Pali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:19 pm 
Silver Member

The trap some get into when getting into film is becoming magic bullet chasers. They always keep looking for the perfect film/developer combo. Then again for some this is the fun of using film. My recommendation is pick a film, the TMAX is great stuff and you can get it cheap, use HC110 at say dilution B and work with the recommended times to begin with. Once you have some negs to look at then we can see if you need to tweak anything. Mastering one film/developer combo will put you light years ahead of the bullet chasers as far as quality output goes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:52 am 
Captures Light

Thanks for the real-life tips Eric. I am so new to this and want to be cost effective so that is why I am checking everything multiple times before I buy anything. The camera is here and I should get the Darkroom kit by weekend.

For a 1976 camera, this one is in really good shape. It was recently (Dec, 2009) services by a Canon authorized shop so everything is in perfect mechanical condition.

Pali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm 
Race Addict

Brings back the memories...

I confess I had real pangs when I got my first camera even with a motor drive. The little physical sensations like winding the film on and feeling it tense up against your thumb... And the feel of a good manual focus lens turning, looking at the split fresnel screen coming in and out of focus...

I should move on before I spend money :-)

Greg
Flickr Gallery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:59 pm 
Silver Member

The AE-1 was one of the best consumer cameras Canon ever made. When it came out it was ahead of it's time and is still a great performer. My wife who is a Canon user still loves to take her AE-1 out for a spin.

For paper developer just stick to good old Kodak Dektol and if you are using RC paper which I assume you will be at least in the beginning you don't need to buy Stop Bath just use a water rinse before putting the print into the fix. I use Ilford for my fixer, both for film and paper.

Freestyle is a great source of analog materials if your local store is a bit short.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm 
Captures Light

Greg :) - You can save the $ for now but sooner or later you'll be tempted. I started looking into film cameras about 3 months ago and kept convincing myself that I didn't need it. Then last week I gave up lying to myself and pulled the trigger - now I am on a downward sloping hill.

Eric: I really appreciate your advice. I am filling up my carts on BHP, Adorama, and Freestyle to see which one comes out to be the cheapest. Do you think 1 gallon of each chemical (after mixed with water) would be enough?

We just got a snow storm in our which gives me a perfect reason to click away my first film roll tomorrow.

Edit:

Used BHPhotoVideo - $55.00 Total
* Ilford ILHP5P36 - ISO 400 35MM
* Oriental - ORSVCR2SVPP Seagull VC RC-II Black & White Variable Contrast (RC) Resin Coated 8x10 25PK
* Kodak - KOFG Fixer for Black & White Film & Paper (Powder) - Makes 1 Gallon
* Kodak - KODG Dektol Developer (Powder) for Black & White Paper - Makes 1 Gallon
* Kodak - KOHC1102G HC-110 Developer (Liquid) for Black & White Film - Makes 2 Gallons

Pali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:41 pm 
Silver Member

I look forward to seeing your first images.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:05 am 
Pet and People Portraits

Camera: Nikon D300, Nikon D70s
Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8, Tokina SD 12-24mm f4, Nikon 75-240mm f/4.5, Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5
Favorite Type: portraiture and landscape
Inspiration: for landscapes: Macduff Everton.
Have fun with film!

Since I studied photography in school I had to learn on film. (I wonder, do colleges still do that? This was only 11 years ago...) Sometimes I grow nastalgic for my film cameras. I learned on my dad's old but amazing Nikon F from the 70's. (Think the Nikon version of what you have) And my first camera was a Nikon N70. It's sitting somewhere, collecting dust. :-(

I certainly have gotten "loose" shooting digital. It's so easy to experiment and not worry about getting it perfect when you know you can just adjust most anything in photoshop. I sometimes think I should force myself to shoot film every 3-6 months just to hone my skills again.

As for films, Scott said everything I would have recommended. If you're used to bumping up the saturation on your digital prints then definitely shoot Velvia. TriX-400 is a nice reliable BW film too.

You'll probably find that most places charge an arm and a leg to develop your BW film. An alternative is to shoot black and white C-41 film. This is actually "color" black and white film. Your prints will often have an ever-so-subtle grey/green tone to them, but I loved using it. I could get it developed on the cheap, but still have black and white photos.

Lastly, if you get your exposures dead-on, you should be pleasantly surprised to see that the standard muted tones of a straight from the camera digital image aren't there. Film always has better contrast then an un-retouched digital image. It's almost like you have to remove a grey film from digital images...

Have fun shooting! Looking forward to seeing your images!

~Erin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm 
Captures Light

Thanks again guys - I too am looking forward to sharing my frustrations with you :) I may have to send each one of you a copy of anything nice that comes out of this process. You have been very helpful.

Chemicals arrive tomorrow - the darkroom kit got delayed until next week due to weather. Not excited about all this snow that keeps falling over here......

Pali

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:02 pm 
Captures Light

A quick update on where I am with things. The chemicals, photo paper, and new films arrived last week. I was suppose to get the Darkroom Kit last Friday but we got hit with 2 record breaking snow storms and the UPS delivery kept getting pushed back. I have 6ft of snow outside my house so I doubt UPS will attempt to deliver it tomorrow.

However, I did manage to finish snapping my first roll of film. I also have a film ready to be sacrificed to practice loading it onto the reel.

I still need to buy a darkroom safe light. I read online that you can use a yellow bug light from a hardware store and it works just fine. Just curious if anyone here has done that and can comment on the results.

Regards, Pali

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 am 
Silver Member

As far as a safe light is concerned you would be better off getting one of the red 15watt LED bulbs from Home Depot. Some papers are sensitive to the yellow light and will fog. Almost all papers are ok with red. To test the brightness level visually as far as how safe it is for paper the general rule of thumb is when you turn off your main light and just have your safe light on, if you can see everything ok instantly then your safe light is to bright. It should take you a minute of so for your eyes to adjust to the low level red. Naturally you can do paper tests with your safe lights too but this will at least get you into the ballpark.

If you are building a special room to be used as your darkroom it's best to paint the walls flat black to reduce reflections.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 pm 
Captures Light

Eric, I bought a safelight setup from ebay. It is a housing that uses any regular 15 watt bulb and it only let's out safe red light.

So the darkroom finally arrived and I got a chance to mix up some chemicals. I practiced loading the film on the reel with a sacrificed roll and oh boy did I underestimate the task. After 10 or so tries with eyes closed, I felt like I was as ready as I was ever going to be so I gave it a shot with my first actual film. Things didn't go perfect but I ended up getting 20 frames out of 24 on the reel and locked in the processing tank. Then the chemicals - it took nearly 15 minutes tweaking the temperature to get the developer at 20c but things moved on fast once I did. About 20 minutes later, I had processed my FIRST FILM!! I am happy to report that I had pretty good results because the negatives are super clean and photos are very sharp (I looked at them through the enlarger at 11x14).

One thing that I did not plan for was the smell of the chemicals - the funky smell didn't go away until the next day and I had to spray some air cleaners. I'll have to take the print setup to my dad's garage because I don't think I can have open chemicals in the house for the prints. Any suggestions here?

This is so exciting and I wish I had more time. I have been working very late hours and had to process the film at 2am in the morning.

Pali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:39 pm 
Silver Member

Wow congrats on the great results! I find stop bath to be the most stinky chemical and if you are using RC paper then you don't need to use it. Just do a quick water rinse in a tray and then into the fix. I guess after 40+ years working in a darkroom I kind of don't even notice the smells anymore except when the film first goes into the fix. Love that smell!!

You did really well getting your first roll almost all on. I find the metal reels a real PITA and use Patterson reels and tanks. The metal ones where great when I was processing a lot of film during my newspaper days. Once a plastic reel is wet it pretty much impossible to get more film into it until it is FULLY dry. However in a pinch once I loaded a Patterson real in a tub of water and that went pretty slick since both the film and reel were wet. Over the years I have collected enough Patterson reels to last me for a heavy night of film processing.

I look forward to seeing the results of your first printing session. Nothing beats actually creating an image by hand and watching it come up in the developer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm 
What was that old adage? . . . "Photography without a darkroom is like having a leash without a puppy. You're missing half the fun."

Since the mid 60's when I was first introduced to the "smells of success" from the darkroom, my opinion on gases has evolved. Back then it was not a concern. But, today I avoid them. Fixer outgases something awful, and it's hard to avoid. I never process in open trays within the home. If I need to use trays (occasionally as a convenience), it is only in a large ventilated open space such as the garage. When I process film or paper indoors I'll use drums such as the Jobo drums that have sealed tops. I'll work from chemistry in bottles that are capped throughout the process (except when pouring). I wouldn't suggest toning prints with brown toner indoors. I no longer use stop bath with film. My methods are restrictive, but I make progress just the same.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629163442455.pdf
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200629187211322.pdf
http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applications/page.asp?n=9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 am 
Captures Light

Sorry guys about not updating everyone on the situation. The truth is that work and family life got so busy (+ we went on a vacation) that I haven't touched any camera equipments for months. Well that is going to change as I have more free time. I am planning to process my prints this week and I will check back in to show everyone the results.

Regards,

Pali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 am 
Captures Light

I finally have an update to this story. I made my first prints today and it was horrible.. so I made many many more and did manage to get a few that I like but they are far from perfect.

Let's start with the good news which I'll let the photo speak for itself.

Now the bad news. Even after 6 hours of dedicated time towards tweaking exposure and developer times, I still don't think I have the correct process. I kept getting foggy prints and I have confirmed that it is due to developing error and not because of light leakage or bad safe-light. I used the Dektol developer using 1:2 and 1:3 ratios and the prints always developed under 15 seconds. This makes no sense because the RC paper I used was only exposed for 1-3 seconds and SHOULD HAVE taken 90 seconds to develop. Can someone please pass on some wisdom on what mix ratios and develop times I should be using with Dektol and RC paper?

I wasted roughly 15 sheets of mix 3x5 and 5x7.

Yes, the black is 1:2 mix ratio of 10 seconds development time - Makes no sense. I know my stock solution and temperature (20c) was correct. Thank you in advance - this is soooo much more fun that digital.

Pali